• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] What would a "balanced" INFP look like?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What if their convictions are incorrect and they are presented with evidence as such? Would a healthy INFP be in denial?

Didn't think that through good question, yes will most likely be in denial. Stubbornly fighting the ego mind, resisting change. Then that will lead to self doubt and mistrust in their values and beliefs should they be unable to reconcile the difference adequately to accommodate the truth sense.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Didn't think that through good question, yes will most likely be in denial. Stubbornly fighting the ego mind, resisting change. Then that will lead to self doubt and mistrust in their values and beliefs should they be unable to reconcile the difference adequately to accommodate the truth sense.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Your sentence structure gave me a nose bleed.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

We are talking about a balanced INFP... I don't think they'd have the issue of "denial -> self doubt -> mistrust of fundamental values" quite as much, as they are balanced enough to lean on other functions. I think they'd be more open to data as long as it was presented properly, and would be able to adjust (not necessarily completely change) accordingly.

It's a tricky situation, though, for the ambitious INFP who wishes to share their convictions and ideals. Part of what makes an INFP so effective in creating change is our ability to use our inner strength to forge past inevitable real world resistance. That's where we get our backbone.

The downside of that is when we go off path, it's really difficult to get us back on track. That same strength becomes our undoing.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I get that wasn't exactly the point of the thread but I'll admit that more so than other types I have a hard time figuring out just what makes an INFP feel content for extended periods of time.

A truly balanced NFP appears neither E nor I because the Ne and Fi functions are given totally equal influence in one's perspective and approach.

What about tertiary and inferior functions?

You just made me realize I'm quite happy with my Ne/Fi balance but that still isn't quite enough to deal with every possible scenario. I have no real reason to back it up I guess...but I do think that improving one's tertiary and accepting the validity of your inferior as used by others (without deluding oneself into hoping to make it a useful tool in the long run) is the way to go.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You just made me realize I'm quite happy with my Ne/Fi balance but that still isn't quite enough to deal with every possible scenario. I have no real reason to back it up I guess...but I do think that improving one's tertiary and accepting the validity of your inferior as used by others (without deluding oneself into hoping to make it a useful tool in the long run) is the way to go.

Why do you believe it's delusional to think we will be able to use the inferior as a useful tool?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Why do you believe it's delusional to think we will be able to use the inferior as a useful tool?

Well, I don't really. I mean, in theory it would be like developing tertiary only harder. But I think it might just have to do with a lot more work at a subconscious level unlike the (imo) more conscious effort needed to improve one's tertiary.

The way I see it we have more conscious control over our auxiliary and tertiary than our primary and inferior. Improving Si for a Ne-dominant is a bit of a fool's errand because it's in direct opposition to the most fundamental personality trait they possess. Well...improving substantially.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I don't really. I mean, in theory it would be like developing tertiary only harder. But I think it might just have to do with a lot more work at a subconscious level unlike the (imo) more conscious effort needed to improve one's tertiary.

The way I see it we have more conscious control over our auxiliary and tertiary than our primary and inferior. Improving Si for a Ne-dominant is a bit of a fool's errand because it's in direct opposition to the most fundamental personality trait they possess. Well...improving substantially.

Isn't that where balance comes in, though? Ne gets balanced out by Si?

In my observations, each function has certain skills and techniques that can be adapted. For example, Si could be observing social norms and structure, or trying to have an appreciation for the past and how it could be relevant to the future. It's theoretically possible to learn some of those aspects as a technique.

You'll never have mastery of Si like an ISxJ, but that's not the point. I think inferior will generally be a bit clumsy, but balance comes when there's at least some use of it.