• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New drug found to melt away heart-clogging fat with just one dose

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5

Researchers from the University of Aberdeen claim that just a single dose of the new drug Trodusquemine can completely reverse the effects of Atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis is the build-up of fatty plaque inside arteries which in turn can cause a number of different heart problems. In particular, it is the condition that causes heart attacks and strokes.

"These have only been tested at pre-clinical level, in mice, so far but the results were quite impressive and showed that just a single dose of this drug seemed to completely reverse the effects of arthrosclerosis," Delibegovic said.

If this works in humans, it'll save us hundreds of billions of dollars each year. The FDA should fast track this drug and treat it as a national emergency. This story should be national news but it's not for some reason.

Lark

If this works in humans, it'll save us hundreds of billions of dollars each year. The FDA should fast track this drug and treat it as a national emergency. This story should be national news but it's not for some reason.

I'm a bit suspicious of this given the amount of times I've heard that there's a cure for diabetes and there's not.

The free market in pharmaceuticals does foster a snake oil salesmanship culture.

rav3n

Yeah, MSI-1436 (old name) is a helluva drug!

A novel aminosterol reverses diabetes and fatty liver disease in obese mice

http://www.journal-of-hepatology.eu/article/S0168-8278(04)00211-9/fulltext

Results
1436 decreased body weight, specifically fat content, by inhibiting food intake and increasing energy expenditure. In contrast to weight loss from food restriction, this aminosterol specifically lowered circulating lipids, reversed hepatic steatosis and normalized alanine aminotransferase level. 1436 decreased glucose, increased adiponectin and enhanced insulin action in liver. These changes culminated in inhibition of hepatic triglyceride synthesis and increased fatty acid oxidation. Gene expression studies confirmed a reduction in lipogenic enzymes in liver, and elevation of enzymes involved in lipid catabolism.

Conclusions
These results demonstrate that 1436 is an effective treatment for insulin resistance and hepatic steatosis in Lepob/ob mice, by decreasing hepatic lipid synthesis and stimulating lipolysis. In contrast, weight loss from food restriction has no substantial effect on insulin resistance, lipids and hepatic steatosis.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
This is an amazing molecule.

The protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B inhibitor MSI-1436 stimulates regeneration of heart and multiple other tissues

Treatment of adult zebrafish by intraperitoneal injection of MSI-1436 increased the rate of regeneration of the amputated caudal fin, which is comprised of bone, connective, skin, vascular and nervous tissues and also increased the rate of adult zebrafish heart regeneration. Intraperitoneal administration of MSI-1436 to adult mice for 4 weeks after induction of myocardial infarction increased survival, improved heart function, reduced infarct size, reduced ventricular wall thinning and increased cardiomyocyte proliferation. Satellite cell activation in injured mouse skeletal muscle was stimulated by MSI-1436.

They should try this drug on burn victims next.

á´…eparted

passages

If you actually did more research, you'll find out that this compound is actually a natural product first isolated in 2000, and it has a name - trodusquemine - that had found to have a wider array of biological activites than first encountered. The paper you found is 13 years old and quite out of date. It's been through three phase one clinical trials. Two for obesity in type 2 diabetics, and one that studied tolerance. I did not find any followups clinical trials (though I did not preform a deep dive), which suggests that application is not significant. More relevant, is there has been some publications related to its effectivity against breast cancer several years ago, and is currently in a phase one clinical trial for it. That is fairly exciting and I hope this progresses forward. Though the molecule seems rather straighforward as far as a synthesis goes so it should be pretty accessible if isolation isn't feasible from the native organism.

The molecule is not obscure, hidden, or under-researched. It's significant enough that ACS regards it, likely due to it's found apparent activity against breast cancer.

Finding all of this information took me about 15 minutes, so if you actually know what you're doing, you'll find that things are (unfortunately) not as exciting as you want them to be. Stop pretending that you're some ace researcher who sees more than professionals due. It's painfully transparent to those of us who are educated in these fields that you are absolutely terrible at finding, and interpreting relevant research. You consistently make a fool of yourself.

/thread.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Hard said:
The paper you found is 13 years old and quite out of date. It's been through three phase one clinical trials.

I did not cite any papers in the OP. The CNBC article is from November 3, 2017. Yes, the molecule's been known for quite some time, but this application (treating atherosclerosis) is new.

The molecule is not obscure, hidden, or under-researched. It's significant enough that ACS regards it, likely due to it's found apparent activity against breast cancer.

Missing the point. What other substance is able to "melt away" heart-clogging fat in a single dose?

Stop pretending that you're some ace researcher who sees more than professionals due.

It depends on the professional; many don't read the scientific literature. Heck, best practices, on average, in medicine don't get implement for over a decade or more.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It depends on the professional; many don't read the scientific literature. Heck, best practices, on average, in medicine don't get implement for over a decade or more.

It takes seventeen years for scientific studies to enter medical practice. This is thought to be a result of the life cycles of the generations that go through medical training.

Lark

I'm always interested in the marketing and sales side of innovations in health and medicine, its at least as big a deal as actual R & D, especially when you consider that successful cures or treatments actually will not result in repeat sales.

I know there's plenty of conspiracy theories surrounding this kind of thing and I consider much of them to be bunk actually.

I dont see why a commercial firm in a commercial marketplace providing what are primarily commercial services and goods should not see to recoup its expenses and outlay in R & D and make a return on the risk of investment in research in the first place (the balancing of risks and rewards is one of the things that I think occasionally capitalism gets right).

However, I think there remains at the heart of it a dilemma, you could make a reasonable return on "cures" versus palliative "treatments" if your R & D division was going to move quickly on to the next and different problem after solving the present one, disease constantly changes, the failure to plan and develop business models like this is part of the reason for the antibiotic crisis (whatever may be said about over prescription of antibiotics, I'm sure it happens, people get sick). Although I do think taking this model to its extremes there would be a problem again, you cant keep making a loss on present developments by banking of the next one and next one.

Plus if you have the firm which acts like an "honest broker" and pursues cures not treatments but other firms decide to pursue treatments they probably will out compete that firm and eventually put them out of business, at least over the shorter term I think it would be safe to presume greater profits because the one involves a single sale the next repeat sales.

Those hypothetical business models also beg questions about if R&D makes discoveries will they ever be marketed beyond a small circle of the uber rich anyway.