• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone switching to Linux?

Duffy

This is a great idea. There are even ways to allow your Linux boot and your Windows boot be able to access all of your files. Something about an NTFS Linux driver. :shrug:

I didn't read the OP, just the title. I was under the impression this was about switching to linux and getting used to whatever learning curve comes your way.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have decided to switch to Linux. There will be numerous other things I will need to sort out over the next week, as well.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NOPE.

Looks like Windows 10 monitors will have to suffer with pictures of beautiful women stained in their minds as well as hard EDM and my pathetic responses to typology central. Oh they will roll... they will roll...

Pfft I think people are trippin' over privacy, what's there to be afraid about?

I'm no terrorist.

Cygnus

I have no fucking clue how to work any of this tech bullshit.

I think I broke the fan in my notebook when it was in my backpack and I threw it in the back carseat. And I just ordered a replacement lithium battery but apparently ruined it because I didn't follow the instructions exactly.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't read the OP, just the title. I was under the impression this was about switching to linux and getting used to whatever learning curve comes your way.
You can discuss that. Anything related to the decision to switch to linux, including motivation and implementation would be on-topic here. Feel free, though, to create a new thread if you would like a more specific focus, say on sharing troubleshooting tips or learning how linux works.

Pfft I think people are trippin' over privacy, what's there to be afraid about?

I'm no terrorist.
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

~Martin Niemöller

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

~Martin Niemöller

Deep.

Golden

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've ditched Win10 and switched to Arch. I enjoy how much control you have with Linux.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've ditched Win10 and switched to Arch. I enjoy how much control you have with Linux.

How do you find systemd? I've been having problems trying to get it to act the way I'm used to customization. I found myself having to rewrite their .service files because, it's good "enough". Enough to get going, but not very dynamic (example comes to mine. the adsl service file). I'll write it off to me as not being that clued up with systemd for now. The funny thing is, systemd is exactly the way Windows handles its services. lol

To quote uselessd:

Nonetheless, we do believe there are problems with the state of contemporary Linux application development, both philosophical and technical in nature. Linux has become a de facto hub for Windows refugees, who seem to have brought the baggage with them. Opaque service libraries, intrusive, all-encompassing and poorly documented system daemons and frameworks, laughable pipe dreams of a “year of the Linux desktop”, among many other things plague the Linux userland today. Paradoxically, despite Linux not offering any significant innovation, it is the most prone to constant reinvention and what Jamie Zawinski described as the CADT (Cascade of Attention Deficit Teenagers) model.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I did this yesterday, mostly because autocad win version is better than mac one and some programs i might need in school someday are win only. ofc couldnt let my ancient d2 chars expire either :D

0qyS4yy.jpg

Im just glad i dont need to switch to windows to get the few windows goodies..

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did this yesterday, mostly because autocad win version is better than mac one and some programs i might need in school someday are win only. ofc couldnt let my ancient d2 chars expire either :D

0qyS4yy.jpg

Im just glad i dont need to switch to windows to get the few windows goodies..
What is this - virtualbox?

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wouldn't CodeWeavers be faster than running the full OS in a virtual environment?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
What is this - virtualbox?

Nope. Its parallels.

Wouldn't CodeWeavers be faster than running the full OS in a virtual environment?

Yea, but i heard it doesent run all apps and i prefer having full os that i dedicate to school stuff. Also the wimdows as a virtual machine runs as good or slightly better like this than normal windows on my old computer, so performance isnt really an issue anyways. And im not doing any heavy gaming or stuff like that, basically just d2 sometimes and programs like autocad, archicad, revit and tekla.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nope. Its parallels.

Yea, but i heard it doesent run all apps and i prefer having full os that i dedicate to school stuff. Also the wimdows as a virtual machine runs as good or slightly better like this than normal windows on my old computer, so performance isnt really an issue anyways. And im not doing any heavy gaming or stuff like that, basically just d2 sometimes and programs like autocad, archicad, revit and tekla.

:laugh: I always felt, the best place for Windows is to live inside a virtual machine.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
:laugh: I always felt, the best place for Windows is to live inside a virtual machine.

I didnt always feel this way, but after seeing the light i do.

Golden

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How do you find systemd? I've been having problems trying to get it to act the way I'm used to customization. I found myself having to rewrite their .service files because, it's good "enough". Enough to get going, but not very dynamic (example comes to mine. the adsl service file). I'll write it off to me as not being that clued up with systemd for now. The funny thing is, systemd is exactly the way Windows handles its services. lol

To quote uselessd:

Oops sorry I didn't write sooner. I am a new user to Linux so everything is a "challenge". But I don't mind searching for answers or work arounds. I used Mint 17.1 for a short amount of time then jumped to win10 as a m$ insider... in a span of 4 months. Been using Arch for 3 almost 4 weeks now and I love it.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oops sorry I didn't write sooner. I am a new user to Linux so everything is a "challenge". But I don't mind searching for answers or work arounds. I used Mint 17.1 for a short amount of time then jumped to win10 as a m$ insider... in a span of 4 months. Been using Arch for 3 almost 4 weeks now and I love it.

I enjoy Arch too. Runs well on my Raspberry Pi 2 B+

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I enjoy Arch too. Runs well on my Raspberry Pi 2 B+

I did a a Raspbian (Debian for the Raspberry Pi) install last week, which mostly was just burning an image and actually uninstalling a lot of things. They're fun toys. I probably should've gone with Arch.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did a a Raspbian (Debian for the Raspberry Pi) install last week, which mostly was just burning an image and actually uninstalling a lot of things. They're fun toys. I probably should've gone with Arch.

All the help is written for Debian, like how to interface with the GPIOs for beginners. So I'll be loading Raspbian soon, once my hardware arrives.