• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Impeachment Thread

Jaguar

Trump attacks Billy Graham's Christianity Today after editorial

Far left, trump calls them... dear god... yeah, so "far left" it spins all the way around to the right?

He agreed that Trump has pleased the evangelical community when it comes to policy decisions on abortion and their religious freedom. But Galli compared evangelicals to a wife in an abusive marriage where the husband is a reliable provider. “When that husband starts to become violent and physically abusive, the scales don’t balance,” Galli said. “It’s time for him to get out of the house. That’s what I’m saying about the Trump presidency.”

Trump is an abusive husband. ;)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He agreed that Trump has pleased the evangelical community when it comes to policy decisions on abortion and their religious freedom. But Galli compared evangelicals to a wife in an abusive marriage where the husband is a reliable provider. “When that husband starts to become violent and physically abusive, the scales don’t balance,” Galli said. “It’s time for him to get out of the house. That’s what I’m saying about the Trump presidency.”

Trump is an abusive husband. ;)

Which is why the article will probably fall on deaf ears.

That environment actually enables abuse of women and makes it difficult for women to escape abusive situations. Just this past year there was a lot of press coverage about the abuse happening throughout the evangelical leadership community that was being ignored and downplayed as much as the catholic child abuse scandals. Women are taught that they are supposed to submit to their husband regardless and "god will help them through it" if they just stay loyal.

Does everyone understand yet why even the evangelical females are supporting Trump?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
He agreed that Trump has pleased the evangelical community when it comes to policy decisions on abortion and their religious freedom. But Galli compared evangelicals to a wife in an abusive marriage where the husband is a reliable provider. "When that husband starts to become violent and physically abusive, the scales don't balance," Galli said. "It's time for him to get out of the house. That's what I'm saying about the Trump presidency." Trump is an abusive husband. ;)
I know quite a few Christian types, and most think billy graham is a corrupt sellout- and that's just in a small part of the Protestant sector, Catholics and many other Protestant denominations have never liked him. They will forever vote for anyone who is pro life, and ignore just about everything else.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I found this article in the wall street journal (which I guess is the only news source now that people on the right and the left both seem to think is unbiased in either direction) that might help some of my right-leaning peers understand the seeming insanity boiling out of our left-leaning peers with this impeachment business:

Why the Left Is Consumed With Hate - WSJ

The left had important achievements. It did rescue America from an unsustainable moral illegitimacy. It also established the great menace of racism as America’s most intolerable disgrace. But the left’s success has plunged it into its greatest crisis since the ’60s. The Achilles’ heel of the left has been its dependence on menace for power. Think of all the things it can ask for in the name of fighting menaces like “systemic racism” and “structural inequality.” But what happens when the evils that menace us begin to fade, and then keep fading?

It is undeniable that America has achieved since the ’60s one of the greatest moral evolutions ever. That is a profound problem for the left, whose existence is threatened by the diminishment of racial oppression. The left’s unspoken terror is that racism is no longer menacing enough to support its own power. The great crisis for the left today—the source of its angst and hatefulness—is its own encroaching obsolescence. Today the left looks to be slowly dying from lack of racial menace.

Today’s left lacks worthy menaces to fight. It is driven to find a replacement for racism, some sweeping historical wrongdoing that morally empowers those who oppose it. (Climate change?) Failing this, only hatred is left.

Hatred is a transformative power. It can make the innocuous into the menacing. So it has become a weapon of choice. The left has used hate to transform President Trump into a symbol of the new racism, not a flawed president but a systemic evil. And he must be opposed as one opposes racism, with a scorched-earth absolutism.

Yet the left is still stalked by obsolescence. There is simply not enough menace to service its demands for power. The voices that speak for the left have never been less convincing. It is hard for people to see the menace that drives millionaire football players to kneel before the flag. And then there is the failure of virtually every program the left has ever espoused—welfare, public housing, school busing, affirmative action, diversity programs, and so on.

For the American left today, the indulgence in hate is a death rattle.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought this paragraph from a NYT piece (can't link easily from my phone, it's about other Evangelical leaders falling in line after CT piece this morning) succinctly said quite a mouthful:

The president’s reaction was a sign of how critically important the white evangelical voting bloc is to his re-election. And the response from his leading Christian supporters — laced with animosity and mockery that mimicked Mr. Trump’s signature style — reflected how he has reshaped the evangelical political movement in his own mold, much as he has done with the Republican Party.

Evangelical Leaders Close Ranks With Trump After Scathing Editorial Evangelical Leaders Close Ranks With Trump After Scathing Editorial - The New York Times

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I found this article in the wall street journal (which I guess is the only news source now that people on the right and the left both seem to think is unbiased in either direction) that might help some of my right-leaning peers understand the seeming insanity boiling out of our left-leaning peers with this impeachment business:

I only read (most of) what you quoted. Do they go on to explain where the hate comes from in people who actually didn't feel the righteous urge to 'hate' anything political before Trump/McConnell, and/or the people who were life-long Republicans before becoming never-Trumpers? (In other words, do they explain how the hate is a product of anything Trump or McConnell have done to merit the animosity, or is the whole thing about how the majority of the country has transferred an obscure need to simply 'hate' onto poor victim Trump?)

Jaguar

Shhh. Don't tell the poor boy about the Repubbies who can't stand the slimy bastard.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I only read (most of) what you quoted. Do they go on to explain where the hate comes from in people who actually didn't feel the righteous urge to 'hate' anything political before Trump/McConnell, and/or the people who were life-long Republicans before becoming never-Trumpers? (In other words, do they explain how the hate is a product of anything Trump or McConnell have done to merit the animosity, or is the whole thing about how the majority of the country has transferred an obscure need to simply 'hate' onto poor victim Trump?)
Though personified, the article talks more about systems than people. If you're not big time into social justice, I don't think it's talking about you.

rav3n

Trump will forever be entombed in history as the president with the most House votes FOR impeachment. :laugh:

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Totenkindly said:
Does everyone understand yet why even the evangelical females are supporting Trump?

Because Democrats are pro-abortion and Trump is protecting 1st Amendment religious liberties.

Lark

I can understand how much the republicans have grown to dislike what liberalism currently is in the US and I can understand that both sides have some very serious rationalizations for increasing divergence from each other (and I might argue the mainstream of society) although I think the US is on a crazy path at the moment.

Trump could be the third impeachment but the first to over turn it and the first pseudo-dictator/emperor in US history.

Much as that might play well with the core supporters who'd think its super tough guy stuff or will result in the Chinese or Putin, with their pseudo-democracies, taking the US seriously again, it's just going to be read as a vindication by those who see all democracies as doomed from the get go.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, let's all get abortions. Because everyone wants to have one.

:roundthnx:

Seriously, there are people (like myself) who support pro-abortion while not choosing it ourselves. I just don’t see a problem with allowing others the freedom to decide for themselves. I mean, it’s not like other people’s choices about their own personal lives affect my own life. :shrug:

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram

Sorry to show up in a North America thread since as a Latin American I am just a piece of crap by those conservatives standards who wants so much put the walls so people like me wont pass, but..

If people have their rights taken and if they cant get their welfare (because at least in those article words it failed), no wonder they are feeling angry. What do you expected, happiness?