User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

Senior Member Justin of Flavia Neapolis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    Except the Buddha did no such thing since the word “ Enlightenment” is well, English.

The original term is “ Bhodi”

“The English term enlightenment is the western translation of the abstract noun bodhi, (/ˈboʊdi/; Sanskrit: बोधि; Pali: bodhi), the knowledge or wisdom, or awakened intellect, of a Buddha.[1] The verbal root budh- means "to awaken," and its literal meaning is closer to "awakening." Although the term buddhi is also used in other Indian philosophies and traditions, its most common usage is in the context of Buddhism. The term "enlightenment" was popularised in the Western world through the 19th century translations of Max Müller. It has the western connotation of general insight into transcendental truth or reality.”

And of course, in other languages and sects it is different.

“insight (prajna (Sanskrit), wu (Chinese), kensho and satori(Japanese));[2][3] knowledge (vidhya); the "blowing out" (Nirvana) of disturbing emotions and desires and the subsequent freedom or release (vimutti); and the attainment of supreme Buddhahood (samyak sam bodhi), as exemplified by Gautama Buddha.“

I am skeptical of any Buddhist who holds such concrete and petty worldveiws, who cannot see beyond his own small-minded biases.
    If enlightenment = contentment = bhodi

And bhodi = satori

Then, satori = contentment?

I’ve used “satori” in the past to describe something akin to “spiritual insight.”

Are you sure we’re talking about the same thing? It seems like a bit of a stretch to say contentment = insight.

Contentment would be included as a part of that insight, what’s called a Bhodi, or Satori if you’re Japanese.

That’s why contentment is a virtue, but not the only one. There are many others like chastity or charity or humility (which is a difficult one to attain to).
    χρήστος ανέστη

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    649 so/sp

Sometimes I fall asleep, and figure out the meaning of absurdity, but forget it upon awakening.
    Likes Siúil a Rún liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W8

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    1. Seeing the natural end of consciousness as sad is an opinion rather than the fact.
    2. You were dead in 18th century and that wasn't a bad experience, so why freaking out about this ?
    3. Meaning is just an extension of human instinct that helps around making decisions. But outside of human brain it doesn't really exist.

Why ? Because you don't waste time on imaginary constructs. With accepting death for what it is you live with much lower stress and the drama that comes out of it. Reality is often much more fun when you see it for what it is. Plus doing good is genuine good only if you don't do it out of fear. While pretty much all spirituality is fundamentally a fear management, which is trying to solve something that isn't really a problem.
    thank you for this.
    "I have spoken."

MBTI
    LGBT
    Enneagram
    469 sp/sx

And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; and the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.
    I am the Cat who walks by themself; and all places are alike to me...

For the cat is cryptic,
    and close to strange things which men cannot see.
    They are the soul of antique Aegyptus,
    and bearer of tales from forgotten cities in Meroë and Ophir.
    They are the kin of the jungle’s lords,
    and heir to the secrets of hoary and sinister Africa.
    The Sphinx is their cousin, and they speak her language;
    but they are more ancient than the Sphinx,
    and remember that which she hath forgotten...

To the waters of the wild Siúil a Rún's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; and the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.
    These are the bedtime stories of my childhood.
    I wish I was on yonder hill 'tis there I'd sit and cry my fill, And every tear would turn a mill, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I'll sell my rock, I'll sell my reel, I'll sell my only spinning wheel, To buy my love a sword of steel Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I wish, I wish, I wish in vain, I wish I had my heart again, And vainly think I'd not complain, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.

Senior Member batteries included's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Maou View Post
    Sometimes I fall asleep, and figure out the meaning of absurdity, but forget it upon awakening.
    Sometimes I get the sense I'm trapped between waking state and dreaming.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

I'm happier on the Other Side. People can see inside me, and so we get along better. There are no blinding constructs. Although most have to eventually leave to somewhere I don't think I can see.
    I wish I was on yonder hill 'tis there I'd sit and cry my fill, And every tear would turn a mill, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I'll sell my rock, I'll sell my reel, I'll sell my only spinning wheel, To buy my love a sword of steel Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I wish, I wish, I wish in vain, I wish I had my heart again, And vainly think I'd not complain, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Powehi View Post
    I'm happier on the Other Side. People can see inside me, and so we get along better. There are no blinding constructs. Although most have to eventually leave to somewhere I don't think I can see.
    If you don't mind me asking, how exactly is it that you visit the other side? You mean meditatively?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by batteries included View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how exactly is it that you visit the other side? You mean meditatively?
    Yeah. Also I've been around a lot of people while they died and cared about connecting to them.
    Likes batteries included liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Powehi View Post
    Yeah. Also I've been around a lot of people while they died and cared about connecting to them.
    Ah okay, and sorry to hear you've had so many losses.