• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Unforgivable Sins

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Hm? Are you sick and ugly? Need a little therapy?;)
I must be, mistress. I have these resentments, you see. I tried not to do so, but one night.... as a teen, I....I w-w-was at a party and....it seemed like everyone was having at least..... a misgiving or two, if not an out and out resentment. Well, one thing led to another.....

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I must be, mistress. I have these resentments, you see. I tried not to do so, but one night.... as a teen, I....I w-w-was at a party and....it seemed like everyone was having at least..... a misgiving or two, if not an out and out resentment. Well, one thing led to another.....

funny....

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:) I was just curious what people's views on the topic of forgiveness v. are there things that are unforgiveable are.

Forgiveness to me is a personal issue, therefore it would not be considered a form of narcissism to answer according to one's own beleifs. Forgiveness is ours to give- no force outside of ourselves can force us to forgive someone for anything that they've done.

Personally, I've got to say that it's a great feeling to realize that you don't care anymore about someone or something that did you wrong in the past- dropping a grudge is a form of forgiveness to me. When the passion attached to something so ugly has died, that's forgiving what happened in a way.

Nothing is unforgivable if you're willing to forgive it, though some things are harder to push aside than others.

Just me weighing in... I thought the topic was an interesting one to rise ;)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
And to those that couldn't understand forgiveness, To forgive is not to condone. It's a form of understanding, acceptance, breadth of mind.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
And to those that couldn't understand forgiveness, To forgive is not to condone. It's a form of understanding, acceptance, breadth of mind.

Yes, I agree, it's not saying what happened is okay.

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Forgiveness is what you do when you can no longer believe your own convictions or you have no strength to carry them.

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5
According to the bible, the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Other than that, you're good to go. ;)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see forgiveness as the unwillingness to become like your violator. Hate makes us reflect back the same characteristics. There is no deeper violation than to become one's violator. There is a type of forgiveness for the worst offenses that does not embrace with naivete', but let's go of hate and the power the violator held over you. This does not require replacing the hate with trust. Forgiveness can be offered as a gift, but trust must be earned. For me, forgiving the worst offenses is letting go of a desire to return the hurt and the sense of desiring their punishment, but at the same time to hold onto a reasoned self-protection based in distrust of the violator, especially if they do not even desire forgiveness. This also protects the violator from more deeply instilling their own cruelty. I won't allow them to destroy myself or their own heart further. It's one thing to forgive a friend who hurts your feelings, quite another to reconcile a compassionate reaction to someone who murdered your loved one.

There is a wise saying, "we cannot hate what we understand". In facing the worst violators it became apparent to me that this statement does not imply excusing behaviors, but that when we understand the deepest forms of hate, we know to run and to not let it grow inside ourselves, but to hone a gentle defiance to be unlike our violator. A second aspect of this saying develops an underlying respect for others. We have not lived any other life, and do not know first hand how the genetic and environmental influences of another person's life would have shaped us. Because of this, there is a fundamental doubt in every scenario that self is in fact superior to its violator in any way. There is no way to verify how oneself would be in another person's life, and for that reason, it makes sense to have a baseline respect regardless of that person's behavior. This means being non-judgmental at one's core. This is the only way I can understand compassion. It must apply to some level in every scenario or it isn't compassion. This doesn't interfere with a reasoned way of limiting trust. Just because I am potentially no better than any other person does not mean I would be trustworthy had I lived their life. So any conclusive judgment on another person is withheld, trust is reasoned and tested over time, compassion is offered freely and as a gift.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
According to the bible, the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Other than that, you're good to go. ;)
Blasphemy is a very old fashioned word. What does it mean in modern language?
My Muttersprache is not English.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I see forgiveness as the unwillingness to become like your violator.

toonia! I think you hit it. That's a big piece of it, anyway. It is a removal of one's self from that which is of the force for decay.

It has two aspects. (with Victor's "narcissistic" remark in mind) The individual benefits by keeping his mind and spirit unimpared by unhealthy qualities. Society benefits by the ill effects of antisocial acts not being continued.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And depression is one of the most common sins of today.

But the greatest trick pulled by Satan was to persuade us that depression is not a sin.

And so it has become an epidemic.

But all sins can be forgiven except despair because the despairing refuse to ask for forgiveness.

This is a very disturbing post. I hope you never experience depression. Or perhaps I hope you do.....

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Stabbing me in the back is pretty unforgivable.

Even if whoever stabbed me in the back is truly sorry for what he/she has done, I can have fun keeping them in emotional turmoil by continuing to deny forgiveness. Or I could perhaps pretend I've forgiven the perpetrator to make him/her feel secure, and then I would go behind the scenes and create schemes to humiliate that person.

There is nothing more painful than emotional torture.