• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why insulting groups of people is irrational even if they are inferior.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
well, his mustache makes him look like a total twit, so he has no room to judge ANYONE :whistling:

I believe it's actually the furher who made the moustache look like a douche-bag detector.
It used to be perfectly fashionable.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I believe it's actually the furher who made the moustache look like a douche-bag detector.
It used to be perfectly fashionable.

yeah... Charlie Chaplin wasn't exactly evil for goodness sake :laugh:

see, if we judged ALL people who have that mustache as being a genocidal maniac we'd be condemning a lot of innocent Chaplin fans as well :nono:

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
yeah... Charlie Chaplin wasn't exactly evil for goodness sake :laugh:

see, if we judged ALL people who have that mustache as being a genocidal maniac we'd be condemning a lot of innocent Chaplin fans as well :nono:

That Chaplin guy. Was he investigated by the FBI? He seems like an antisemitic sympathizer so me

Also those Indian folks, with all them Swastika and and ties to Aryans. I say we keep an eye on them :coffee:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That Chaplin guy. Was he investigated by the FBI? He seems like an antisemitic sympathizer so me

Also those Indian folks, with all them Swastika and and ties to Aryans. I say we keep an eye on them :coffee:

and anyone who wears Hugo Boss as well... they've GOT to be evil :shock:

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
and anyone who wears Hugo Boss as well... they've GOT to be evil :shock:

Bosses are a symbol of capitalism. Are you trying to destroy us from within?! CONFESS!

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They're a minority group. They're different from everyone else.

majority =/= superiority. Logic aside, I find that minority groups - "different" people, minds, things, ideas - are typically superior, at least in my view. It isn't "rational" to assume that a thing is less than another thing because it is different from the other thing.

How is this topic at all related to philosophy or spirituality?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bosses are a symbol of capitalism. Are you trying to destroy us from within?! CONFESS!

are you getting me and charlie chaplin confused again?! but I can't even GROW a mustache! :cry:

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
are you getting me and charlie chaplin confused again?! but I can't even GROW a mustache! :cry:

Don't confuse the issue your communist

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Don't confuse the issue your communist

which would mean that I should view us ALL as equal and therefore there are no inferior people :2ar15:

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
To address the OP.
It's idiotic to judge a whole group of people as inherently inferior.
Though statistical correlations can be drawn (though it's not PC) for specific ethnic, socio-economic etc. groups.

Now the issue with the notion of 'inferior' is that it's all relative. Specific groups have different average skills, views etc. etc. So it all depends on what we mean by the term.

Ultimately I stand with Martin Luther King and say people shouldn't be judged by [group name] but the content of their character. Statistics are relevant to anonymity and policy, not interpersonal relationships

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
majority =/= superiority. Logic aside, I find that minority groups - "different" people, minds, things, ideas - are typically superior, at least in my view. It isn't "rational" to assume that a thing is less than another thing because it is different from the other thing.

How is this topic at all related to philosophy or spirituality?

I'm discussing an idea related to society. I'm not sure where to put if though the thread can be relocated it's in the wrong section.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ummm... who's going to be the judge of who is inferior? :unsure:

and isn't the problem with judging a group the fact that, because people are all different, groups can't be homogeneous? :thinking:
This relates to why insults are so pointless. If you do think someone is inferior, and you have some reason to engage them at all on the matter, better to tell them exactly where you find them lacking. They are uneducated, have a dead-end job, can't speak the language well, can't speak more than one language, eat too much junk food, dress like a vagrant, have too much/too little/ the wrong religious faith, etc. You might be wrong on any of these counts, but by presenting your case with some specifics, at least a discussion can result. Insults and unsupported judgments ("you are inferior") are useless.

you're doing it wrong dude

gotta come up with real examples

then watch the shitstorm unfold
People who insult people are counterproductive misanthropic egotists, and obviously inferior.

á´…eparted

passages
This relates to why insults are so pointless. If you do think someone is inferior, and you have some reason to engage them at all on the matter, better to tell them exactly where you find them lacking. They are uneducated, have a dead-end job, can't speak the language well, can't speak more than one language, eat too much junk food, dress like a vagrant, have too much/too little/ the wrong religious faith, etc. You might be wrong on any of these counts, but by presenting your case with some specifics, at least a discussion can result. Insults and unsupported judgments ("you are inferior") are useless.

I don't see insults as pointless. There needs to be a basis for them of course, and the situations that would render them conductive aren't common. Nevertheless, there is a time and place where they can be immensely useful. Though I would agree a stand-alone insult does little.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People who insult people are counterproductive misanthropic egotists, and obviously inferior.
people who insult people who insult people are counterproductive misanthropic egotists, and obviously inferior

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
and another thought on the matter complete with a story! :holy:

in elementary school many years ago, our recess ladies got a brilliant idea one year to punish entire classes for the bad behavior of a few students so the entire class would have to stand with our faces to the wall while we heard other kids having fun for the first 10 or so minutes of recess. as a bad kid who was frequently responsible for punishment infliction, I was always kind of pleased that the other kids in the class weren't really mad at me, but chose to hate the recess ladies for taking away their recess instead.

meaning, if you categorize an entire group based on its worst members they're going to spend more energy hating you for your assholery instead of being mad at their shitty members and trying to get them to straighten up, because broad strokes like that are dumb :)

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
i mean did you ask them? or are you just going off a assumptions that they think that?

No I didn't ask them. Usually when people dislike other groups of people, it's because they're different from other people or can't imagine themselves as groups of people.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No I didn't ask them. Usually when people dislike other groups of people, it's because they're different from other people or can't imagine themselves as groups of people.

then those who are judging lack imagination is what you're saying?

or is it empathy? :huh:

perhaps it's intelligence

I suppose I'll judge them on an individual basis... this is why I like insulting people as individuals, because I can be so much more precise and hurt their feelings all the better :wubbie: