• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Have you ever defined your core values?

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Authenticity - to be true to myself, whatever, whenever.
Sincerity - be honest, don't manipulate other people or allow them to do the same.
Creativity - be imaginative and create.
Individuality - be proud to be an individual with my own ideas, beliefs and personality.
Fairness - try to offer everybody what they're entitled to, and nobody what they're not.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol I take back what I said. I couldn't have been serious. Me? Care about others? My actions have no constraints besides my own fears, but are, for the most part, already decided by the number of vapor molecules in my immediate vicinity.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Kind of tired, so we'll see how much sense this makes.

So, you don't have those values anymore, now that you're a grown up?

Yes. "Always be honest" is too rigid to adhere to. Do you know people who've never lied in all their lives? I might put autistic people in that category (I don't have enough data yet), but on the whole, I don't believe in people having the ability to tell the truth. The limitations of perception, language, memory, and other factors don't allow for it, I believe.

It's possible my idea of concepts like "truth" or "hurt" is broader than yours. Also, I'm looking at the big picture and the chain of consequences and the implications.

Mistaken perceptions. Faulty memories. Jokes. Social etiquette. Self-preservation. Over- or underestimating yourself or others or situations. Things like this could very well lead to lies, intentional or not. I write fiction which, by its nature, is an elaborate lie, and I fucking love it. To complicate things further, I believe there are layers of deception and truth. I see nothing wrong with setting aside a value like "always tell the truth" when it doesn't match my current way of viewing the world or my understanding of human nature.

As for hurt, it depends. If I happened upon a man strangling a seven-year-old, I'm not the sort of person who would politely tap him on the shoulder and request that he stop. I may very well bash him on the head with a blunt object. The only regret I might have is whether I've made the experience more traumatic for the kid, not how much I hurt the would-be murderer.

It really doesn't need to be that extreme; I'm just being dramatic. If I judge a contest, some people might feel hurt when they don't win. But contests, real ones based on merit, aren't about everybody winning. That's just how it is. I'd just being doing my job, even if someone is upset about it. Recently, I told someone I care about that she should get counseling even though the suggestion might hurt her feelings. (And it did.) From my perspective, she needs help to sort out emotional fallout from a recent development. While I didn't want to tell her to get counseling, I also don't want her to continue suffering. In the long run, it seems to me it'd be healthy for her to carve some kind of safe space to talk about what troubles her. At the moment I suggested it, yeah, it hurt her feelings. It sucked.

So I'm not above hurting people, I just have to see a reason for it. That doesn't mean I run around kicking over grannies, or whatever. It means I let the situation dictate whether hurting someone is necessary. Even if I were to refrain from hurting people, I'd still hurt other living things. I'm not a vegetarian, so eating meat makes me a participant in the slaughter of animals. If it weren't animals, it'd be plants or bacteria or cancer cells or whatever. Meh.

More whimsical than when you were a teenager, when you believed in honesty and not hurting others? Your mood determines your values? So, what happens when you are in a bad mood. Do your values change to reflect that? Everything becomes more nuanced and complex as we grow older. But you're saying your values changed when you grew up and are now dependent on your moods.

I wouldn't say my values changed so much as they got streamlined and clarified, and there are times when I consciously decide not to go with a value.

I get the impression—and this may be off—that you think my sense of values was better when I was a teenager. If that's untrue, feel free to ignore this. If it's true, then you'll see what I mean by "too rigid" in regards to values. When I was a teenager, I thought that if I were ever raped, I'd kill myself. I thought that if I were raped, it'd mean I didn't fight hard enough. Yeah. So years later, after being exposed to anecdotes, stories, and movies where people experience and deal with sexual violence and coercion, I realize how twisted that old "She didn't fight hard enough" chestnut is and how demeaning it is to define someone by their sexual purity, as it were. I personally think I was more of an ass as a teen because my point-of-view was so limited, and my morals were based on much ignorance and an unearned sense of superiority. I think that's part of what growing up is to me, learning to broaden your narrow worldview and understanding life better.

When I'm in a bad mood, I try to avoid people or make fun of myself to ease my tension. When I say my values are based on my mood, I mean things like...I should recycle. If there isn't a recycling bin convenient to me, I just think, "Fuck it" and throw the trash in a regular bin. Before, I'd feel guilty about "going against" a value like that. Now that I'm more capricious, I wouldn't be bothered. (There are plenty of other things I have hang ups about, so it's great to have one less thing driving me nuts.)

Easier? You do what is easier. Obviously you don't have "core" values.

Yeah, sure.

I know I should help homeless people because community-mindedness makes us better as people, but I don't run to the bank, withdraw my meager savings and donate it to homeless dudes and chicks left and right. That's what I mean by having an ideal and not fulfilling it. It's like a fantasy more than a part of my life, a fantasy where someone lives in an earth house, rescue animals, take care of foster children, run a soup kitchen, and volunteer for a suicide hotline. I suppose it's my idea of a "good person," but it's not really my idea of me.

I've mostly learned how to separate my idea of a good person from myself. It used to be that I'd think the two were one and the same. Now it's harder to delude myself into thinking I'm some wonderful human being. I'm just me. Most people are just themselves. It helps me be more realistic about who I am and what I'm about. It also means I get less disappointed when others don't meet some standard of mine. After all, that's not anyone's job.

It doesn't help that I can think of a perverted version of any value. Seeing how these things can be warped made me leery of them and of being too caught up in the idea of a thing to see the reality playing out before me.

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes. "Always be honest" is too rigid to adhere to. Do you know people who've never lied in all their lives? I might put autistic people in that category (I don't have enough data yet), but on the whole, I don't believe in people having the ability to tell the truth. The limitations of perception, language, memory, and other factors don't allow for it, I believe.

I can't say I've never lied, but it would have been a lie of omission (I don't have to tell anyone everything about myself), or just a little white lie to avoid hurting someone's feelings when it's not necessary. But I can't tell actual lies like other people can, for instance, I can't put on make-up and a wig and pretend to be somebody else, or if someone were to ask me if I ever saw her husband with another woman, and I had, I wouldn't be able to lie, I'd have to tell the truth. But then I am probably autistic. Hard to diagnose, but I think I am.

It's possible my idea of concepts like "truth" or "hurt" is broader than yours. Also, I'm looking at the big picture and the chain of consequences and the implications.
Yeah, I understand that.

Mistaken perceptions. Faulty memories. Jokes. Social etiquette. Self-preservation. Over- or underestimating yourself or others or situations. Things like this could very well lead to lies, intentional or not. I write fiction which, by its nature, is an elaborate lie, and I fucking love it. To complicate things further, I believe there are layers of deception and truth. I see nothing wrong with setting aside a value like "always tell the truth" when it doesn't match my current way of viewing the world or my understanding of human nature.
I'd love to read something you've written! I write fiction too, though not very well, lol, and I also love it. Fiction is a form of lying I guess, but it's not real life. Everyone knows it's a lie when they read it. I'm talking about lying irl.

As for hurt, it depends. If I happened upon a man strangling a seven-year-old, I'm not the sort of person who would politely tap him on the shoulder and request that he stop. I may very well bash him on the head with a blunt object. The only regret I might have is whether I've made the experience more traumatic for the kid, not how much I hurt the would-be murderer.
I'm in absolute agreement with you here.

It really doesn't need to be that extreme; I'm just being dramatic. If I judge a contest, some people might feel hurt when they don't win. But contests, real ones based on merit, aren't about everybody winning. That's just how it is. I'd just being doing my job, even if someone is upset about it. Recently, I told someone I care about that she should get counseling even though the suggestion might hurt her feelings. (And it did.) From my perspective, she needs help to sort out emotional fallout from a recent development. While I didn't want to tell her to get counseling, I also don't want her to continue suffering. In the long run, it seems to me it'd be healthy for her to carve some kind of safe space to talk about what troubles her. At the moment I suggested it, yeah, it hurt her feelings. It sucked.
Well, I think that just shows how much you really care about your friend.

So I'm not above hurting people, I just have to see a reason for it. That doesn't mean I run around kicking over grannies, or whatever. It means I let the situation dictate whether hurting someone is necessary. Even if I were to refrain from hurting people, I'd still hurt other living things. I'm not a vegetarian, so eating meat makes me a participant in the slaughter of animals. If it weren't animals, it'd be plants or bacteria or cancer cells or whatever. Meh.
Yes, but there is a line you draw, right? I mean, I do anyway. Hurting people and animals, sentient beings is a little bit different than killing a cancer cell, no?

I wouldn't say my values changed so much as they got streamlined and clarified, and there are times when I consciously decide not to go with a value.
Yeah, you just made me realize that my core values are sometimes conditional. For instance, I don't always practice the core value of compassion. That is, if I disrespect someone, or if someone has done something I consider to be horrendous, I won't have any compassion for them. Unless, that is, I can understand the underlying causes and allow myself to find some compassion there, but that doesn't happen often.

I get the impression—and this may be off—that you think my sense of values was better when I was a teenager. If that's untrue, feel free to ignore this. If it's true, then you'll see what I mean by "too rigid" in regards to values. When I was a teenager, I thought that if I were ever raped, I'd kill myself. I thought that if I were raped, it'd mean I didn't fight hard enough. Yeah. So years later, after being exposed to anecdotes, stories, and movies where people experience and deal with sexual violence and coercion, I realize how twisted that old "She didn't fight hard enough" chestnut is and how demeaning it is to define someone by their sexual purity, as it were. I personally think I was more of an ass as a teen because my point-of-view was so limited, and my morals were based on much ignorance and an unearned sense of superiority. I think that's part of what growing up is to me, learning to broaden your narrow worldview and understanding life better.
I agree that with maturity, values and ideas expand to become more complex. I just didn't understand from the way you had written your response exactly what you meant by it.

When I'm in a bad mood, I try to avoid people or make fun of myself to ease my tension. When I say my values are based on my mood, I mean things like...I should recycle. If there isn't a recycling bin convenient to me, I just think, "Fuck it" and throw the trash in a regular bin. Before, I'd feel guilty about "going against" a value like that. Now that I'm more capricious, I wouldn't be bothered. (There are plenty of other things I have hang ups about, so it's great to have one less thing driving me nuts.)
I know what you mean, I'm like this as well.

I know I should help homeless people because community-mindedness makes us better as people, but I don't run to the bank, withdraw my meager savings and donate it to homeless dudes and chicks left and right. That's what I mean by having an ideal and not fulfilling it. It's like a fantasy more than a part of my life, a fantasy where someone lives in an earth house, rescue animals, take care of foster children, run a soup kitchen, and volunteer for a suicide hotline. I suppose it's my idea of a "good person," but it's not really my idea of me.
That is my idea of me, but I don't do it either, which causes me a bit of angst. Anyway, I understand what you meant now. Thanks for responding.

Jaspii

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I strive to be balanced in my viewpoints, politics, spirituality, ect. The reasoning is because I want to understand and empathize with others, I think that every human has a unique perspective on the world, when someone has an opinion different to mine I try to explore it; they might have crucial information I had overlooked in my own assessment or vice versa. Modesty is another big one for me, mainly because I think it's really ignorant to be arrogant, a value I think a lot of INTP's seem to overlook, To view yourself as perfect is very illogical, I try to think about ways I can improve myself and become stronger but I take it a bit too far because I tend to view others as supierior to me.

So I guess I could sum it up as Balance, Empathy, Modesty, Wisdom, and Generosity

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1. Wisdom and discernment (though this might be too broad)
2. Independence, freedom from unnecessary constraints
3. "Don't be a dick"ness

I could expound later, I eat this sort of thing up

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
1. Wisdom and discernment (though this might be too broad)
2. Independence, freedom from unnecessary constraints
3. "Don't be a dick"ness

I could expound later, I eat this sort of thing up
If you don't stop with that shit, I'll tell everyone on this forum who you really are.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you don't stop with that shit, I'll tell everyone on this forum who you really are.

What the sam hell are you talking about? Are you referring to a dramatic reveal of my previous account (bologna), or have you been outside my bedroom window taking notes?

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
well, sam, it's more like you've been outside my bedroom window, doing more than just taking notes.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:rofl1:

oh dear. people sound upset. are people always upset??? that must be a tiresome state to maintain.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Have you ever defined your core values? Do you think you could reduce them to five? What makes those values more important than any others? Does it influence your decision making on a daily basis or not?

Love
Truth
Authenticity

Love because the two greatest commandments are about love. God is love. Love is what makes goodness different than evil.
Truth because nothing is real with it.
Authenticity because it is the depth and nuance of truth to oneself, and there can be no real relationship without it.

Yes.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
no. i have never done this before but i will try now.

1) the world doesn't owe you happiness.
2) you gotta do what you gotta do to make happy.
3) don't screw others over if you don't gotta.
4) if you gotta, try to be cool about it.
5) if you can't be cool about it: damn son.

this is a work in progress.

*wonders why everyone is giving one word answers*

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1) Respect
2) Fairness
3) Responsibility
4) Excellence
5) Integrity

Runners-up: kindness, authenticity, resilience, strength

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Treat others the way they want to be treated. None of that "treat others the way you'd want to be treated" shit.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No.

Core values are things that you discover about yourself. You don't get to "define" them.

The tricky part is, once you discover a core value, how do you decide you want to keep it or change it? ;)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
No.

Core values are things that you discover about yourself. You don't get to "define" them.

The tricky part is, once you discover a core value, how do you decide you want to keep it or change it? ;)

I agree. In fact, I have been reading this thread thinking the same thing. I can't understand how or why they would need to be defined and why would I share them with anyone?

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I took "define" to mean "describe" rather than "arbitrarily come up with a set of." That seems like a valid thing to do :shrug:

Defining define. Fantastic.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
yeah. @ age 12.

They're not single words though, because that's a bit simplistic a base for an ethical system.