• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hypothalamus vs Limbic System vs Frontal Lobes

Elemental Chaos

MBTI Type
eNXP
Enneagram
7+4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I've been reading a bit about these structures after I studied neurobiology for about 5 years ago and just got thinking. It feels like there seems to be a balance of power between the three which is very interesting. To start out, I think I should outline what the different neurological structures do. Don't quote me on this information. I think I have a bit of knowledge on the subject but I'm rusty, it was a while since I studied it, and I'm not a physician but rather someone in the psychiatry myself. Although I did study medicine before, right now I take improvisational theatre/musical classes, study bachelor of science in chemistry, practice drawing, munch pills, play computer games, and try to recover my sanity and general motivation to do anything productive at all.

I would love if someone in the know would update me with details or correct me on something I've misinterpreted.

Limbic system: This means the amygdala (a lot of emotions, seems to be predominantly fear and anger but not all sources restrict it to those), the hippocampus (responsible for reactivating the brain the same way input has in the past and thus allowing us to remember memories, I think), the hypothalamus (more emotions). In patients with ADHD, this entire section does not take it's subordinate role towards the frontal lobe due to incorrect (or just different) neuroanatomical developement leading to impulsiveness and difficulties with concentrating.

Thalamus: This is the sensory relay station. All input except smells pass by here and the more sensory input, the more it filtrates to prevent overload. When the filtration is not sufficient, the perception of reality becomes jumbled leading to psychosis. Patients with schizophrenia have this problem by default while from my understanding others can induce it, where people with bipolar or borderline diagnosises would be more likely. For all I people with bipolar/borderline might be more sensitive, even if the emotional issues of someone with bipolar/borderline would seem likely to literally drive them insane seems like a quite plausible cause of noted comorbidity to me.

Frontal lobes: This is the commanding module responsible for activating and deactivating other parts of the brain. As mentioned, this structure is not less developed in patients with ADHD. It does however lack the authority it should have over the rest of the brain.

So I considered this about myself. If I'm into something, I completely forget about the rest of the world. For example, I have a standing desk. I can stand by my standing desk playing computer games for hours and just forget about the pains or soreness in my legs and feet. Then when I get to bed, I realize my legs are so sore they just won't stop hurting no matter what I do. I've also almost fainted in the gym a couple of times after lifting to much etc. In school I realized that while I could not motivate myself to study by just discipline and willpower, if I waited until the last 5-72 hours before the exam, all my other troubles and physical needs paled so much in comparison to the exam that I just skipped sleeping etc and studied then. This worked before med school. I didn't fail med school either, but my parents plucked me of because they thought I seemed to be emotionally in a very very bad state and I've spent years trying to actually recover.

My interpretation of this is that my limbic system literally puts baby in the corner and tells her to shut up vs both thalamus and frontal lobes. I'm completely undisciplined, no doubt about it. Except if you challenge me to do something and I go headstrong on you (angry, etc) or you challenge my beliefs. I don't have a lot of willpower honestly, I get carried away and some mood swing steamrolls inhibitions and problems making it seem like I do. If I actually had willpower though, I think you'd see it in that I could control my emotions and do what I'm supposed to do etc.

Just thinking about others and common caricatures of people, I could easily see someone who is very disciplined, correct, studious, does what they're supposed to do etc as being ruled by their frontal lobes. I think I could see someone very down to earth, not making things complicated, and living in the here and now being ruled by the thalamus?

Maybe I need to think this theory through a bit. But I'm throwing this out here for now because it does seem to be a very good place to throw it out in.

Ps. Long time no see. Keep on rocking. :rock:

Last edited: