• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Functions suitable for multitasking

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I've always had issues with "running red lights" when driving and talking. When I'm thinking or deep in thought, I'll go inward which causes me to have a vague awareness of the environment around me. I've noticed that females tend to excel males in the realm of multitasking...which could be related to the ability to use multiple functions at once (especially extroverted). I'd say degree of introversion is inversely proportional to ability to multitask effectively....By focusing all your energy inward, it follows that less external energy can be utilized. Which MBTI TYpe(s) do you think have the propensity to undertake multiple tasks at once? Of course, adaptation (constant stimulation) will enhance the ability to multitask, yet the trend-line of improvement will vary among types.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always felt my brain splits in two when I multitask. I call it "Autopilot", and in the senario you described with driving. I don't even need to be consciously aware of driving to do it, and I don't make mistakes either. My autopilot reacts before conscious reaction. This same mechanism also gives me good reflexes. Its like one half of my brain drives/paying attention, while the other is off daydreaming or planning ahead. One thing I noticed though, is that the auto pilot relies on muscle memory/familiarity. I can't do new things with autopilot.

If I had to attribute it to a function, it would be Se/Ni-Te together. But I dont think its function related.

Also important to note, true multitasking is very rare. Most people are just skilled at rapid switching between tasks.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I always felt my brain splits in two when I multitask. I call it "Autopilot", and in the senario you described with driving. I don't even need to be consciously aware of driving to do it, and I don't make mistakes either. My autopilot reacts before conscious reaction. This same mechanism also gives me good reflexes. Its like one half of my brain drives/paying attention, while the other is off daydreaming or planning ahead. One thing I noticed though, is that the auto pilot relies on muscle memory/familiarity. I can't do new things with autopilot.

If I had to attribute it to a function, it would be Se/Ni-Te together. But I dont think its function related.

Also important to note, true multitasking is very rare. Most people are just skilled at rapid switching between tasks.

So, it seems you can create an internal spatial map, which subconsciously directs you....The problem with me is that I am completely oblivious to objects around me when immersed in thought. I may not notice a "red light" or "person" directly in front of me because the external world is greatly repressed as I go inward. Also, I tend to make the same directional mistakes over and over such as following an incorrect route, although I've traveled the same path several times. I can figure out how to orientate myself to the correct destination by imagining my position in space, but I am not very good at remembering the paths I have taken in the past. My mind discards unimportant info/stimulus and hence, it is not used as output at a later period.

I do think multitasking is related to introverted function intensity....If a user is using an introverted function to the extreme, external awareness is dimmed proportionally to the intensity. Like when strong Ni users appear to stare very intensely at an object in space, yet the direction is inward from the object of interest. Being a waiter/waitress requires a strong ability to manage multiple tasks at once....Verbal fluency/communication, coordination, and executive action are all important for quality work.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
From Dario Nardi's research,

Se shows a tennis hop pattern. That means they'll be able to seemlessly jump from task to task.

Ne shows a christmas tree pattern. That means they'll be able to easily cross-reference between different tasks.

So, it's related to extroverted perception (as you insightfully indicated with the reference to stimulation).

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
From Dario Nardi's research,

Se shows a tennis hop pattern. That means they'll be able to seemlessly jump from task to task.

Ne shows a christmas tree pattern. That means they'll be able to easily cross-reference between different tasks.

So, it's related to extroverted perception (as you insightfully indicated with the reference to stimulation).

You are probabily right , i can play the piano with the left hand meanwhile using my right hard to watch youtube videos and my right/left foot using the pedal.
The best multi-tasking i have seen are jazz drummers you just can't beat that... and they are more prone to be Se dom/aux.

It's funny 'cause the more i think the less multi-task i'm , i don't think Ne is a true multi-tasking funtion 'cause i'm always prioritizing things in funtions of other things ... randoms ideas always have some in common.

Just seeing a dom/aux Se jazz drummer is just wow for me.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always had issues with "running red lights" when driving and talking. When I'm thinking or deep in thought, I'll go inward which causes me to have a vague awareness of the environment around me. I've noticed that females tend to excel males in the realm of multitasking...which could be related to the ability to use multiple functions at once (especially extroverted). I'd say degree of introversion is inversely proportional to ability to multitask effectively....By focusing all your energy inward, it follows that less external energy can be utilized. Which MBTI TYpe(s) do you think have the propensity to undertake multiple tasks at once? Of course, adaptation (constant stimulation) will enhance the ability to multitask, yet the trend-line of improvement will vary among types.
First, there is no such thing as true multitasking, only the ability to switch rapidly among tasks, usually with the result that they are all performed with less efficiency and possibly also less effectiveness.

As for type implications, all I can say is that I personally hate multitasking. I do much better and experience less stress focusing on one thing at a time. I can "multi-think", but that is different (or not: perhaps it is just switching rapidly among separate lines of thought).

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
First, there is no such thing as true multitasking, only the ability to switch rapidly among tasks, usually with the result that they are all performed with less efficiency and possibly also less effectiveness.

As for type implications, all I can say is that I personally hate multitasking. I do much better and experience less stress focusing on one thing at a time. I can "multi-think", but that is different (or not: perhaps it is just switching rapidly among separate lines of thought).

False , Just 'cause you aren't multi-tasker that doesn't mean others aren't ...
Shit , a pianist can use his two hands, shoulders , arms , wrists,body ,ect... meanwhile playing polyrhythm and thinking about dynamic contrast , harmony , estructure , emotional meaning , abstract meaning , ect.... and all that shit in real time.

Ne is faster to think others lines tho.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE

We expend energy toward different tasks.....Let's define each task as a function of time....There is a limited supply of energy we can utilize for all tasks we pursue, so if the energy is diverted to multiple tasks at once, then less energy is utilized for one particular task is dampened/minimized. For multitasking, there exists multiple functions acting at once for a time span, yet the amplitude will be lower per task relative to the case in which one task is carried out. Based on your premise, the functions are discontinuous in respect to time meaning that all other tasks are carried out over a separate time spans. So, your premise can be represented by a function with slight time discontinuities (represented by time needed to shift between task), however, it also implies each task can yield max amplitude (no energy dispersion). This contradicts the suppression of energy when utilizing Ni....You are still semi aware of the environment, but energy is suppressed as a function of intensity....Yet, the functions (Ni and Se) are still in progression.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
We expend energy toward different tasks.....Let's define each task as a function of time....There is a limited supply of energy we can utilize for all tasks we pursue, so if the energy is diverted to multiple tasks at once, then less energy is utilized for one particular task is dampened/minimized. For multitasking, there exists multiple functions acting at once for a time span, yet the amplitude will be lower per task relative to the case in which one task is carried out. Based on your premise, the functions are discontinuous in respect to time meaning that all other tasks are carried out over a separate time spans. So, your premise can be represented by a function with slight time discontinuities (represented by time needed to shift between task), however, it also implies each task can yield max amplitude (no energy dispersion). This contradicts the suppression of energy when utilizing Ni....You are still semi aware of the environment, but energy is suppressed as a function of intensity....Yet, the functions (Ni and Se) are still in progression.

Actually motor skills need an insignificant amount of energy :learning how to ride a bike , playing the piano( the physical part) , ect.
motor skills are more prone to be multi-tasker but the path to reach muscular memory is so fucking hard ... just the time needed is far from most people ( of course there is sports which demand the peak of motor skills and strategy thinking ).

From my composer and pianist perspective , multi-taks can only be reach when your body doesn't have your mind limitations.