• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Faking being a different type in a recruitment process?

ugghh

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe this is the wrong forum, but something I've been thinking about recently.. MBTI tests are sometimes used in recruitment processes where I live, and it seems like HR take the results seriosly - a friend of mine lost his chance at a job after testing as a type they didn't want to hire. I know that in my field, NTJ qualities are generally considered ideal (I'm ENTP but have mistyped as INTJ and ENTJ before). I feel like I have a good enough grasp on typology to fake being a different type on a test, and I don't see it as immoral if it was the difference between getting or not getting a job I wanted...
Have you done this before? How did it work out?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe this is the wrong forum, but something I've been thinking about recently.. MBTI tests are sometimes used in recruitment processes where I live, and it seems like HR take the results seriosly - a friend of mine lost his chance at a job after testing as a type they didn't want to hire. I know that in my field, NTJ qualities are generally considered ideal (I'm ENTP but have mistyped as INTJ and ENTJ before). I feel like I have a good enough grasp on typology to fake being a different type on a test, and I don't see it as immoral if it was the difference between getting or not getting a job I wanted...
Have you done this before? How did it work out?
I have not done it. I can say that use of psychological types on any scale as a litmus test for employment is unethical, and strongly opposed by the MBTI "authorities". Obviously that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I would hesitate to work for an employer who uses type tests in this way, but if you feel you really need the job, I see no issue with faking a typing test to help your chances, considering it is something that shouldn't be a factor anyway.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have a hard time pretending to be someone else for an extended period of time, so i can't imagine doing something like this because i'd rather get a job with the skills i have or being upfront and saying i'm not good at this/ i don't know how to do this but i can learn (hopefully)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While I do not think companies should be using mbti in such a black and white manner -- ie someone who genuinely is excited about the job and has the skills to do it well should not be written off just because they don't have 'type' the company thinks will be best suited for the job -- I do think there's truth in the fact that some jobs are in fact more suited for someone with a natural disposition for, say, being an extroverted people-pleasing people person vs someone who's behind the scenes and likes working with numbers and computers (as an extreme example). I think that's ultimately what the HR people are trying to get at when using the tests for employment purposes.... they're looking at these extreme examples. Unfortunately I think a lot of people may be more in the middle of the road for several traits, or passion/determination does in fact trump their 'type', so that's where using the test is backwards/wrong, imo.

If I genuinely needed a job, though, and knew the type of person the company wanted for the role / who the 'ideal type' for the particular role I was applying for was, I wouldn't hesitate to answer the questions as such (assuming I really needed the job and/or really wanted it but knew my answering the questions honestly wouldn't allow me to get it). That said, there might be some self-reflection there to admit to yourself that you may not 'naturally' be the most suited for the job.... even if you do need/want it...

Jaguar

You'll end up fired if you can't deliver the goods, no matter what your score is.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Frankly if a company is using any typology system to screen candidates for a job they have lost the plot and have no idea how to effectively screen suitability for a job. Typology is no substitute for proper and right hiring practices.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Using MBTI for this purpose seems to strange. Might as well hire based on astrology.

Are you sure you want to work in a place that would do this? If someone is going to base how well I will do on a job based on this versus my job and education experiences then.... what is the point.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Yeah , they should ... nobody want sensors and feelers trying to use the brain . Some XXXJ are good slaves for stupids mechanical task so yeah .

DarkMin

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w1
It depends on what's being looked at and how they're using the results. If the companies involved are using it to find out whether someone's bubbly, outgoing, and will gladly do the "upsell" thing then a member of the "I..." family of personality types isn't really going to cut it. On the other hand, if the jobs involve endless hours with nothing but books (or digital equivalent) for company, then an "E..." isn't the ideal person.

However, if they're getting more specific than that, I think there's a real issue of discrimination.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You'll end up fired if you can't deliver the goods, no matter what your score is.
Exactly. This is why type should not be a factor in hiring, but rather the ability to do the actual job. Any type can do any job, if they put their mind to it.

It depends on what's being looked at and how they're using the results. If the companies involved are using it to find out whether someone's bubbly, outgoing, and will gladly do the "upsell" thing then a member of the "I..." family of personality types isn't really going to cut it. On the other hand, if the jobs involve endless hours with nothing but books (or digital equivalent) for company, then an "E..." isn't the ideal person.

However, if they're getting more specific than that, I think there's a real issue of discrimination.
The best use of type knowledge at work is not in hiring, but in helping employees understand themselves better so they can take advantage of their strengths and compensate for their weaknesses. Sometimes it is the type which is atypical for a job that brings fresh insights and new ways of doing business, not to mention breaking any groupthink on a team. Hiring by type is incredibly short-sighted and limiting, both to the employees and to the organization.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my friend whose almost 50 is a candidate for a job because they want someone who works in computers (check) and can relate to older people (check) so they're not looking for a 20 something but someone older but that's not the same as mbti type that's more it's for the united methodist church. and he is going after the job because he's been doing temp work and has no insurance and this job though he'll get a pay cut he'll get benefits. he also went with them after he found they're pro lgbt. His job will be designing html emails (what he does now). He's looking for jobs that uses his skills not pretending to have skills that he doesn't

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe this is the wrong forum, but something I've been thinking about recently.. MBTI tests are sometimes used in recruitment processes where I live, and it seems like HR take the results seriosly

Any company that actually relies on MBTI pseudoscience nonsense as a screening tool deserves to have their recruitment methods manipulated.

This is almost as bad as when I applied to work at big box retailers shortly after highschool, and it seemed like every one of them made you go online and fill out these long surveys that basically rephrased the exact same questions in many different ways, such as:

"How did you overcome your last stressful situation at work or home? Did you"

A) Work through the situation in a calm, rational manner.

Or

B) Chokeslam your dog through the coffee table while yelling a slew of different four letter obscenities.

Seriously.

Jaguar

Any company that actually relies on MBTI pseudoscience nonsense as a screening tool deserves to have their recruitment methods manipulated.

CIA used it, at least they used to according to some who worked there. They were looking for one type. So, of course if word got out, people would try to game the instrument.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I haven't gamed the instrument in order to get a job or a promotion, but I have gamed it for a job-related purpose. I didn't feel clever or smarmy or smug about it, but of course I didn't feel bad about it either.

Sure, your true colors will show eventually if you can't do the job. It's just that these folks who are hiring on in the first place just have a really screwed up idea of what it takes to be able to do the job. Getting a certain MBTI result isn't on par with, say, passing a bar exam or getting an A+ certification.

CIA used it, at least they used to according to some who worked there. They were looking for one type. So, of course if word got out, people would try to game the instrument.

They also flavored people’s coffee with LSD for fun. Can’t say I’m surprised.