• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is nostalgia more related to high Si or low Si?

WeddingMood

it can be seen as a rhetorical question but it is not, some websites say that nostalgia is usually a xSxJs thing but there also some other websites that say tertiary/inferior Si usually manifests in things like nostalgia

PurpleDawn

I get nostalgia quite a lot, especially when I'm feeling down or reflecting on things.
Any Si user can get nostalgia but it comes in different forms depending on where it is in your function order.

Si Dom: Views it as normal and positive. Comes naturally.
Si Aux: Frequently acts on it. Developes easily.
Si Tert: Relaxes with it. Develops over time.
Ne Dom: Experiences it when reflecting, depressed, or troubled. Comes naturally.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get nostalgia quite a lot, especially when I'm feeling down or reflecting on things.
Any Si user can get nostalgia but it comes in different forms depending on where it is in your function order.

Ne Dom: Experiences it when reflecting, depressed, or troubled. Comes naturally.

Si inferior description was def true for me. Would be cool to have this kinda breakdown for all the functions in one place.

I don't know. I experience nostalgia pretty often, but I don't have Si...

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Nostalgia is tert Si. Dom Si is sentimentality.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am nostalgic and don't use Si really. Not sure it has anything to do with cognitive functions.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I get very nostaglic in a bitter sweet way when stressed or troubled pining for the good old days as well. I think nostagla is more tert/infer Si as its Si used in a childish or relaxation role not in a serious way. Id say tert Si is the classical romanticizing of the past though.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I feel nostalgic for the past, but, it's only because I kind of see it through rose-colored glasses. I think that's how we all see it and we all want to go back to a "better time", when it really wasn't, we just.. didn't see that at the time. Whether we were young (children, teens, or twenties), or oblivious to how shitty things were at the time.

Ragù

MBTI Type
INFP
What would be the difference between low Si and not ahving Si at all? Not sure this is the right place to ask, sorry.

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the right way to put it is nostalgia is like memory:

Jung said:
The four orienting functions naturally do not contain everything that is in the conscious psyche. Will and memory, for instance, are not included.

If memory doesn't correspond to Si, there's no reason I can think of that nostalgia should.

Not closely, at least. Nostalgia is affect+a memory, neither of which generally was ascribed to functions in their differentiated state. Maybe you could say it can indicate inferiority at times...but affect does not haaaave to correspond to inferiority by any means

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Nostalgia tends to almost strictly come into play when I specifically want to return to an ideal emotional past, and I do so through physical objects I may hold onto, of a fantastic memory I want souvenirs or trinkets of, to remind me or for reflection down the road. I actually rarely keep things around, but if a moment is of particular importance to me, for whatever reason, I'll hold onto something of that experience.

I make the designation above, of when I want to return to the past, because it really IS that specific for me. Typically I run off the high of future potential and what could be. It at times feels like I dream out of necessity, since that is what stimulates and motivates me to action,those what-ifs?

Now, the only time I will feel a need to revisit a positive emotion in the past, is because my future seems bleak or my dream nonexistent. When that is the case, I no longer have anything to feed off of to sustain my energy and enthusiasm. I then resort to these relics I have lying around my room, and remember a time when things were good, when I DID still have dreams and ambition, and I can almost relive those exact positive emotions, through these things. But, as I mentioned, the absolute only reason I would ever look back is when I feel there is no future, and that only happens when I'm facing a very heavy situation over a sustained period. It's uhh... a pretty desperate situation for me when I start looking backwards. At least, that's how it feels, and there is absolutely nothing else I can turn to.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
2016-04-25-image-26.jpg

There's an awful lot of nostalgia in this Hi-C!
tumblr_nxjtrrZklR1soib5bo1_500.gif

WeddingMood

I think the right way to put it is nostalgia is like memory:

If memory doesn't correspond to Si, there's no reason I can think of that nostalgia should.

If memory doesn't correspond to Si, then Si isn't about past experiences as mbti says

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
WeddingMood said:
If memory doesn't correspond to Si, then Si isn't about past experiences as mbti says

Yeah, you're right, but the thing is given these systems are more based on conceptual definition than on empirical testing, we have the freedom to define what we want how we want.
Obviously, we evaluate which definitions are interesting/not, but still, there's more freedom than in a procedure like finding the Big 5 dimensions of personality, where it's mostly empirical work cut out.

What I quoted was from Jung, which technically is different from MBTI. But, it's safe to say that I think we need to take the good ideas from each and discard the bad. I don't take the point of view that Jung, socionics, mbti are just stand-alone systems, because honestly they're clearly working with similar intuitions/organizing them in similar ways, so it seems more likely to me that they're in competition in a lot of ways, not just defining totally independent systems.
Obviously here, I'm talking of MBTI as including the typical theory of functions and so on, not merely the literal indicator.

The reason it makes independent sense not to put memory~Si is simply that if you have 4 types of information, it would make sense that you can have memories focusing on any of them. Memory of sensory info is S-related. Memory of information you've processed about something's value = F -- you may then use this memory to build on top of it.
The fact is intelligent creatures need memories, else there's no concept of learning. And if each function corresponds to a category of learning that is irreducible to the other, then it makes sense that we'd have memories of each, not just put memory in Si.

The MBTI portrayal is not entirely wrong, though, because the sense of how it was like to experience something is indeed Si-ish. But building a matrix of facts to use for inference later isn't necessarily Si-ish at all -- easily could be Te or something.

Enneagram
9w1
Maybe it's Extraverted Fe/Se/Ni/Ti types who care less about the past and enjoy moving forward and affecting reality today: ESTP and ENFJ

President

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Si isn't really related to nostalgia at all. All types get nostalgic at times, just as all types remember things from the past in general. I suppose you could say that the tendency of Si types to take comfort in traditions theoretically makes them more nostalgic, but that's not necessarily the case. You could as easily say that Fi causes nostalgia due to the personal value it attaches to objects or memories, or Ni does because of the meaning it extracts from or projects onto them.

Really though it's mostly outside the realm of typology. Si is more about finding a routine or system and sticking to it than it is about memory or nostalgia. When people say it is related to the past, they mean it compares the present circumstances to some past standard that the Si user has established or observed. Not that Si users are necessarily going to be sentimental about the past. They certainly can be, and perhaps they're even more likely to be, but it is neither the defining element of Si nor the sole domain of Si.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I thought that sentimentality was a F thing... how can sentimentality and nostalgia be confused with each other?

Nostalgia longs for the past. Sentimentality is appreciating the past without necessarily longing for it.