• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Dominant Ne stereotype "ideas"

nemiki

Enneagram
6w7
:hi:
  • What does the stereotype "Ne-doms are always coming up with new possibilities and ideas from everything they see" mean?
  • How's the reality?
  • How often do you have new ideas?
  • What kind of ideas do you have, ideas for a new invention?
  • What defines an idea?
  • Do you have so many ideas on a daily basis that you could write hundreds of books because you have so many ideas for their stories?
  • How does your dominant Ne affect your daily life?
  • Could you give real life examples? :)

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENTP here. I'll do my best to answer your questions so I don't have to sleep.

What does the stereotype "Ne-doms are always coming up with new possibilities and ideas from everything they see" mean?
It's more like if I see something out of the ordinary, my mind will spin on it. Not EVERYTHING I see. But it's like walking into a run-down room and knowing I could turn it into the best room in the house. Having vision. Imagining what colors and window frames and furniture would make this the best room ever. A lot of these ideas aren't even feasible, or are something I don't care to invest time and money in. But it's just a matter of being attuned to the what"s around you and inspiration sparking a (potential) vision based on it.

How's the reality?
I'm not sure if you mean this as a follow up question, or my relationship to reality. All I can say on the latter front is that I actually have a very strong sense of reality. I test as a Sensor for this reason--I just don't have too much use for people who live in a fantasy about the absolute nature of reality. What Ne does for me is perceive it, and then expand off it. So I'm visionary. I see what is, and I see what more it could be. This can be something simple like seeing a coat-hanger and getting the idea for a creative project, to seeing my country and having a vision for how to improve social equality.

How often do you have new ideas?
It's not like I can quantify that...every five minutes, or 3 times daily. Nope. Instead, it's more like I move through life guided by larger ideas. I could study in X country. I could move to Z land. I could make a movie about this, let's get funding! Most of my ideas aren't really new, but instead just an inspiration. It's a thought process, so it happens minute to minute, but most of the ideas aren't as big as making a movie. "I could look up XYandZ from my childhood", "Hey I wonder how they make taffy? I should look it up!" "That skyscraper looks like a penis". "I should write a story about this". Those are the smaller ideas.

What kind of ideas do you have, ideas for a new invention?
I think I referred to some above. I don't really have much patience for inventing things per se. It's more like, Hey I can use these old egg cartons as planters for my beans. Hey, that pretty stone would look great on a necklace. Aww, look at that dead squirrel *imagines bereaved squirrel family and funeral*. It's typically called "creativity" by those who don't understand the functions.

What defines an idea?
Something abstract, still in your head, that connects irl things in ways that haven't been thought of yet. Idk. Don't listen to that.

Do you have so many ideas on a daily basis that you could write hundreds of books because you have so many ideas for their stories?
I personally am something of a story teller, so yes, I invent all these epic stories inside my own mind. Hundreds and hundreds exist. Some are just scenes (eg that dead squirrel), some are entire overarching ideas with nothing to fill in (eg, What if African nations had developed technology before the Europeans? I should make a graphic novel about that world), and some are entire story lines (I wrote a 30 page summary of a guy who takes over a nation last year, not Donald Trump incidentally). I could seriously do this for a living, but I'm fated to die without sharing any.

How does your dominant Ne affect your daily life?
Too broad for me to know where to even start...

I live in a world where random things that catch my interest put me into a cinematic fantasy, where being creative and imaginative come second-nature, where more and more tabs get opened and I click between them mid-thought, where people think I'm psychic, and I could give two shits about tidying my personal spaces because my inspirations are more awesome.

The most annoying thing is Si-inf, and how I forget daily detail stuff. Like in one ear out the other. Except I misplace things every 20 seconds, too. Like Dory, I have limited short term memory, so that while the class describes what they ate for lunch to each other, I'm like, Wait, I ate lunch?? I have bruises and no idea how I got them. RABIES. Because I'm following what's really important, which is my vision...not my lunch and not my body and not what so-and-so's age and name are.

Could you give real life examples? :)
What specifically do you want to know??

nemiki

Enneagram
6w7
ENTP here. I'll do my best to answer your questions so I don't have to sleep.

What does the stereotype "Ne-doms are always coming up with new possibilities and ideas from everything they see" mean?
It's more like if I see something out of the ordinary, my mind will spin on it. Not EVERYTHING I see. But it's like walking into a run-down room and knowing I could turn it into the best room in the house. Having vision. Imagining what colors and window frames and furniture would make this the best room ever. A lot of these ideas aren't even feasible, or are something I don't care to invest time and money in. But it's just a matter of being attuned to the what"s around you and inspiration sparking a (potential) vision based on it.

How's the reality?
I'm not sure if you mean this as a follow up question, or my relationship to reality. All I can say on the latter front is that I actually have a very strong sense of reality. I test as a Sensor for this reason--I just don't have too much use for people who live in a fantasy about the absolute nature of reality. What Ne does for me is perceive it, and then expand off it. So I'm visionary. I see what is, and I see what more it could be. This can be something simple like seeing a coat-hanger and getting the idea for a creative project, to seeing my country and having a vision for how to improve social equality.

It's not like I can quantify that...every five minutes, or 3 times daily. Nope. Instead, it's more like I move through life guided by larger ideas. I could study in X country. I could move to Z land. I could make a movie about this, let's get funding! Most of my ideas aren't really new, but instead just an inspiration. It's a thought process, so it happens minute to minute, but most of the ideas aren't as big as making a movie. "I could look up XYandZ from my childhood", "Hey I wonder how they make taffy? I should look it up!" "That skyscraper looks like a penis". "I should write a story about this". Those are the smaller ideas.

I think I referred to some above. I don't really have much patience for inventing things per se. It's more like, Hey I can use these old egg cartons as planters for my beans. Hey, that pretty stone would look great on a necklace. Aww, look at that dead squirrel *imagines bereaved squirrel family and funeral*. It's typically called "creativity" by those who don't understand the functions.

What defines an idea?
Something abstract, still in your head, that connects irl things in ways that haven't been thought of yet. Idk. Don't listen to that.

Do you have so many ideas on a daily basis that you could write hundreds of books because you have so many ideas for their stories?
I personally am something of a story teller, so yes, I invent all these epic stories inside my own mind. Hundreds and hundreds exist. Some are just scenes (eg that dead squirrel), some are entire overarching ideas with nothing to fill in (eg, What if African nations had developed technology before the Europeans? I should make a graphic novel about that world), and some are entire story lines (I wrote a 30 page summary of a guy who takes over a nation last year, not Donald Trump incidentally). I could seriously do this for a living, but I'm fated to die without sharing any.

Too broad for me to know where to even start...

I live in a world where random things that catch my interest put me into a cinematic fantasy, where being creative and imaginative come second-nature, where more and more tabs get opened and I click between them mid-thought, where people think I'm psychic, and I could give two shits about tidying my personal spaces because my inspirations are more awesome.

The most annoying thing is Si-inf, and how I forget daily detail stuff. Like in one ear out the other. Except I misplace things every 20 seconds, too. Like Dory, I have limited short term memory, so that while the class describes what they ate for lunch to each other, I'm like, Wait, I ate lunch?? I have bruises and no idea how I got them. RABIES. Because I'm following what's really important, which is my vision...not my lunch and not my body and not what so-and-so's age and name are.

Could you give real life examples? :)
What specifically do you want to know??

Thanks for your detailed answer! :) It was exactly what I was looking for. As for the real life examples: you already gave plenty of them :D. I think I understand a high Ne better now. Thanks! The ENTP mind sounds brilliant. What do you think distinguishes dominant Ne from auxiliary Ne?

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for your detailed answer! :) It was exactly what I was looking for. As for the real life examples: you already gave plenty of them :D. I think I understand a high Ne better now. Thanks! The ENTP mind sounds brilliant. What do you think distinguishes dominant Ne from auxiliary Ne?
I can't definitively speak as to that, because it's not in the aux-position for me. I can say that as an ENTP, my baseline tendency is towards exactly what I've written there. If I start to observe my own thoughts, this is exactly what the chattering voice in my head does.

With Ti, it's less obvious. It's more like the information I get sort of defaults into a logical frame, but it's a much less conscious process.

So I'd imagine with Ji+Ne, the mental process would be reasoning and figuring out the "frame" as a baseline, but just sort of defaulting into an exploration of the options and imagining new ways to conceive the logical framework. That would be my guess, though I invite any INxP to speak for themselves.

nemiki

Enneagram
6w7
I can't definitively speak as to that, because it's not in the aux-position for me. I can say that as an ENTP, my baseline tendency is towards exactly what I've written there. If I start to observe my own thoughts, this is exactly what the chattering voice in my head does.

With Ti, it's less obvious. It's more like the information I get sort of defaults into a logical frame, but it's a much less conscious process.

So I'd imagine with Ji+Ne, the mental process would be reasoning and figuring out the "frame" as a baseline, but just sort of defaulting into an exploration of the options and imagining new ways to conceive the logical framework. That would be my guess, though I invite any INxP to speak for themselves.

Your dominant Ne explanation was absolutely perfect! :worthy:
It would be interesting to hear a Ne aux explaining their Ne the way you did and what differences are between dom and aux Ne.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They're metaphorists, trans-contextual thinkers. They can't help it, they just do this naturally.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So is it Ne that makes up the elaborate fantasy realms like Tolkien's worlds? I've been wondering if it's Ni or Ne that tends towards highly complex, structured, comprehensive fantasy realms. Not everyone is capable of that so I suspect it is connected mostly to one or the other. On some level I could almost see an INJ being elaborate and complex in imagination but I'm not sure about that. INJ can have very elaborate, structured jokes but I don't know if that translates over to imaginary stories.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Probable ENTP here (Not 100% comfirmed).

To explain it it is like looking at an object and seeing what it could be. For instance i can look at a treadmill and see that it could be used as a metaphor to desribe busy work as you appear to be working but not getting anywhere, a grinding stone to grind things down, a torture device to friction burn peoples hands, putting a VR stimilattior on it to stimulate google maps on it so you can run anywhere in the world from the comfort of your treadmill, write a dystopian novel involving treadmill socecites (Socecites that are busy and at the same time stagant) and so on. Basically i see the possible potential in objects

How's the reality?

For me reality is something that can be moulded in many different ways with small changes being like moulding say clay (Using a treadmill as a grinding stone, and big changes being like molding say a piece of metal in my reality (Say something like inventing a new social system or inventing a device to reduce boredom so people are more producive at work).

As Sanjuro said it is not something i can measure as such. I get new ideas on stuff quite often such as "What would North America look like shifted 700 miles south in many different ways", "How would history differ if the vikings went further into America", "Hey i should make chocolate juice with bits in by boiling m and ms", "Could we possibly have underwater electricity by having diffrent salnity levels of water as salt water conducts electricity while pure water doesn't (One way in which a possible underwater culture could build up and use electricty ". I can build up ideas from objects so to speak and this happens quite often.
I do have some ideas of my own such as using antibacterial metals to build door knobs to reduce disease, underwater electricity by conducting it through salt water, using waste from landfill sites in order to use as weapons, a device which alters your brain chemistry to help you work by reducing boredom and attention span issues, having an underground pipe system between houses so heat is transferied between houses instead of it all going to waste by escaping into the outside air. stuff like that.

What defines an idea?
To me an idea is something that occurs in your head. It can be a philosophical idea, a set of rules, a creative idea e.t.c.

It makes life fun shall we say :D. It means that I am quite a curious if somewhat ADHD person as I cannot focus on more than one topic for longer than 20-30 mins (Lectures are hellish for me as I cannot engage with the material). It also means that I get exicted by the possible such as enjoying imagining the ways global warming can be stopped such as painting everything white to reflect snow. I also get energized by making connections between things. For instance I refer to the Simpsons vs Rick and morty as being like China and the West. In the acient days when the sci-fi cartoon wasn't even established the Simpsons was like China being the top dog but this has all changed now but it may make a China esque comeback so never underestimate people who have become weaker over the years as they can make sudden comebacks when you least expect it.

A downside of dom Ne is inferior Si. I cannot keep things organized to save my life. I am constantly misplacing things, leaving things in places (I am the type of person who could forget putting down a stick of TNT then light a fire as I am that forgetful). I also have to be supervised when out and about as I am so spacey I have no awareness of whats going on around me and my parietns have officially forbidden me from driving as I am that unaware and clumsy.