• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thinking v Feeling

SwimmerGal97

How do you tell the difference? I get confused as I am someone who is very aware of my own feelings and how what I say and do impacts others (and how what other people say impacts others and I'll pick up on their reactions) and I am a believer in doing what you feel is right (As opposed to what makes money or something) however I am also someone prone to overthinking things, analysing things, weighing pros and cons, obsessively organising and classifying and not being worried about making tough calls in situations even if the 'right choice' might not be liked by people and most of the time, if I have a problem with something I will say it as it is and (because in MBTI tests this seems to be a question that comes up a lot), when a friend is in crisis I personally get the facts and talk possible solutions before I get onto their feelings. I imagine very few people in reality lie at that extreme end of the thinking spectrum where they are cold and oblivious to others feelings, but is being so perceptive to others feelings and being aware of my own a sign that I'm a feeler rather than a thinker? Or just that I'm a well balanced thinker?

á´…eparted

passages
As someone who is a clear Fe dom, but tests almost consistently as a Te dom (and sometimes quite strongly), I can say that it can be a difficult matter to sort out. It's a matter of what information you pay attention to, and use. Learning about the for judging functions; Ti, Te, Fi, and Fe, helps clear this up, but it takes quite some time to properly understand them and is not an overnight process.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It appears that your first concern is how you, or others, will feel. Suggesting that you are a Fi user, xFxP.

KitchenFly

It's a good question and a tricky question to explain. Why? Because of the complexities involved. I don't want to even attempt to explain my view but I will touch on it by attempting to address the subject.

I think there several forms of thinking and several forms of feeling. And in a sense there are 36 forums of each. Why 36? Because there are 18 Subtypes and there is an I and E always associated with each function.
36 T and 36 F even though 18 maybe thought of as being hidden within the shadow unexpressed directly though subtype type energy. The act of T or F involves both I and E in its benign raw action. So you could say there are 45 T expressions and 45 F expressions. 118 including N and S and 120 including the two ambidextrous components but if a single letter was to decried the two additional then it would remain 118 components.

But basically feeling has three tones and thinking also has three tones each tone is generated by the three different key's of the influencing triad pitch so to say.

At the simpler level of the MBTI form of feeling and thinking.

I perceive feeling to be observational orientated led primarily, followed by response as reaction if expression is need in reply to what has been perceived observed or witnessed.

I perceive thinking to be an inner personal analytical disruptive led cognitive orientated observational process, followed by response as reaction if expression is need in reply to what has been perceived observed or witnessed.

Thinking seems to be predominantly computation or complexity orientated and feeling seems to be predominantly observation or observed orientated.

Quantity of that of which is in minds view vs values of that of witch is in minds view. Thinking.

Quanta of the volume observed of that of which is in mind view. Feeling

So with a view of 36 components or 45 components or a in alI total of 118 components it shore is tricky to distinguish and understand correct meaning within the flux of such a complex multiplicity. So many frequency expressive values.

That my take on it if I get down to the nitty gritty of it all.

An interesting abstract though comes to mind. It the 118 is thought of in a context of being influenced by three triad pitches then the number becomes 354.
I forget exactly how manny acid there are in the brain but I think the number is 368 acids.
So that's kinda an interesting thought because there is a number gap of 14 between the number values 354 and 368, if 368 is correct.

Sense think feel is related to the triads and the making of the law of three happen within of witch produces intuitions of a spiritual order.

So the number 14 that is the gap number may relate to intuitions of a spiritual order if there is any substance to the lateral thinking idea I have intuitively generated from the idea of, what would the value purpose be,for the 14 units remaining.

Kendrix

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say the easiest way to put it is in terms of problem solving strategy, being primarily task or harmony oriented;

When solving a problem, is your attention mostly on getting the task done, or on making sure everyone is satisfied? ('You' are, of course part of 'everyone')

That doesn't mean Ts are uncaring or Fs are pushovers - Everyone's satisfaction is tied to ressources, after all, and getting problems solved helps the group. Also, balancing long term & short term objectives is something we all have to learn & which side one would end to err on would be more of an s/N thing - But basically, you'll see lots of F types speak up against an injustice regardless of what the group would say because injutice is bad for everyone, and you'll see T types telling others not to be assholes b/c true assholery is not very productive.

It doesn't really have that much to do with emotionality, both are higher processes taking place in the evolutionary newer/ "monkey" brain areas and emotion itself is generated in the center of the brain, the 'mammalian' parts of it - Say, debating ethics is a highly intellectual process even if your or other people's feelings are the input being processed. But, of course, it's our differentiated, detailed processcing such as it is done by the 8 cognitive functions that creates the depht & differentiatedness of the human experience.

Obviosly, unless they're unhealthy/immature individuals, the Fs are going to want to solve the problem, too, and the Ts are going to want the group members to be happy as well, but the perspective's gonna be different;
Say, a mature T will see ppl's feelings as one factor to be considered when solving problems; Whereas a mature F will see that solving problems has a long term inpact on wether everyone will be happy.

@above poster: Wouldn't 'voicing internally processed observations' vs. 'immediately ineracting with/reacting to something you see happen' depend more on wether you have the introverted or extroverted version of each function?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
[MENTION=26982]Kendrix[/MENTION] - I don't know. The harmony-oriented thing seems more Fe than Fi. :shrug:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do you tell the difference? I get confused as I am someone who is very aware of my own feelings and how what I say and do impacts others (and how what other people say impacts others and I'll pick up on their reactions) and I am a believer in doing what you feel is right (As opposed to what makes money or something) however I am also someone prone to overthinking things, analysing things, weighing pros and cons, obsessively organising and classifying and not being worried about making tough calls in situations even if the 'right choice' might not be liked by people and most of the time, if I have a problem with something I will say it as it is and (because in MBTI tests this seems to be a question that comes up a lot), when a friend is in crisis I personally get the facts and talk possible solutions before I get onto their feelings. I imagine very few people in reality lie at that extreme end of the thinking spectrum where they are cold and oblivious to others feelings, but is being so perceptive to others feelings and being aware of my own a sign that I'm a feeler rather than a thinker? Or just that I'm a well balanced thinker?

My question is about your age? Are you late 20's/30's? Tertiary functions come out to play around that time and you sound pretty established about yourself and there is a bit of confidence I'm detecting.

I get xSFP vibes as a first impression.

SwimmerGal97

I would say the easiest way to put it is in terms of problem solving strategy, being primarily task or harmony oriented;

When solving a problem, is your attention mostly on getting the task done, or on making sure everyone is satisfied? ('You' are, of course part of 'everyone')

That doesn't mean Ts are uncaring or Fs are pushovers - Everyone's satisfaction is tied to ressources, after all, and getting problems solved helps the group. Also, balancing long term & short term objectives is something we all have to learn & which side one would end to err on would be more of an s/N thing - But basically, you'll see lots of F types speak up against an injustice regardless of what the group would say because injutice is bad for everyone, and you'll see T types telling others not to be assholes b/c true assholery is not very productive.

It doesn't really have that much to do with emotionality, both are higher processes taking place in the evolutionary newer/ "monkey" brain areas and emotion itself is generated in the center of the brain, the 'mammalian' parts of it - Say, debating ethics is a highly intellectual process even if your or other people's feelings are the input being processed. But, of course, it's our differentiated, detailed processcing such as it is done by the 8 cognitive functions that creates the depht & differentiatedness of the human experience.

Obviosly, unless they're unhealthy/immature individuals, the Fs are going to want to solve the problem, too, and the Ts are going to want the group members to be happy as well, but the perspective's gonna be different;
Say, a mature T will see ppl's feelings as one factor to be considered when solving problems; Whereas a mature F will see that solving problems has a long term inpact on wether everyone will be happy.

@above poster: Wouldn't 'voicing internally processed observations' vs. 'immediately ineracting with/reacting to something you see happen' depend more on wether you have the introverted or extroverted version of each function?

I'm aware of others feelings but my primary goal when working on a team is to get the job done. Most of the time it makes me a pretty efficient leader but when it comes to group competitions...I can get a little OTT :L

- - - Updated - - -

My question is about your age? Are you late 20's/30's? Tertiary functions come out to play around that time and you sound pretty established about yourself and there is a bit of confidence I'm detecting.

I get xSFP vibes as a first impression.

I'm 18

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The definitions I used in the wiki:

Thinking (T) is an outlook that focuses on looking at the world “impersonally” or “technically”, in terms of objects and how they work, which we can call the “mechanics” of things (including people), often with a focus on goals such as efficiency. People prefering it tend to think in terms of “true” or “false” (which is what will automatically determine “like/dislike”).

Feeling (F) is an outlook that focuses on looking at the world in terms of people or humanity, and the elements that makes them “subjects”, which ultimately deals with the “soul”, with its emotions and values; usually with a focus on goals such as individual or group harmony. (People preferring it will often mirror the other person’s inner state and adjust their behavior accordingly). This leads them to “think” in terms of “good” or “bad”.