• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How would you describe the balance of your auxiliary and tertiary functions?

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Mh, the balance between Ne and Si... more than balancing I'd call it "teamwork".

In my case there are like two types of "episodes" in which the teamwork is more evident:

1. When Si acts as Ne's overbearing mother. This is when Ne says (yes, my functions have conversations) "let's try this new, incredibly reckless thing just for the sake of it! I want to see what happens!" And Si is like "remember when you did this, this and that for the same reason and it was a total bust? Because if you do what you're planning, that is what's going to happen". So my Ne starts thinking about all the (new) possibilities of it going wrong, and then calms down... and tries a mildly reckless thing instead.

2. When Ne interrupts Si.

A) When Ne improves an already tried method. Si is like my brain's attic. Whatever happened in the past, is stored there. But lil Ne likes to go play there. So Ne takes whatever calls its attention (or whatever it needs at the moment) and improves it by making renders of how that thing would look when applying some idea/concept to it. It is useful because a) the results are quite good; something already proven to work with a new fashion, and b) because the short attention span of Ne needs of ideas that are halfway through completion. Work smart, not hard.

B) When Ne completes Si's monologue with present thoughts. I picture my Si as a 5-sense photo album. I never remember newly learnt stuff, but I always recall situations/images of things that happen a while ago, with lots of details.

This is a short example:

"Don't you remember? You were driving your car and I was sitting next to you, and we went past that Chinese shop that is painted of a discoloured orange... a weird smell was coming from it, but you had a cold so you couldn't smell anything, and then your favourite song was playing on the radio, but then an old lady with a blue dress came out of nowhere to cross the street so you stopped abruptly at the same time the song ended, so we laughed."

And this is the same story when Ne pops in (Ne in BOLD):

"Don't you remember? You were driving your car (that has that awful protector for the wheel with rubber cherries... why would you want that? Maybe because it's more comfortable for the hands... or because it's better if you crash the car, that way it hurts less than smashing your head on the bare wheel... Wait, does your car have airbags?!) and I was sitting next to you because I hate sitting behind, i feel like a little kid, and we went past that Chinese shop that is painted of a discoloured orange... (maybe I could recommend them a brand of paint I once bought... the orange paint was so phosphorent that if it actually discoloured, the new colour would be the colour they originally wanted it to be) and a weird smell was coming from it (I think it could be pork, but I don't really know because I'm vegetarian... how does pork smell? Now that I think of it, I never tried Chinese food because there is no food for vegetarians), but you had a cold so you couldn't smell anything (seriously, that was impossible not to smell, it was so strong), and then yourfavourite song was playing on the radio (which I don't understand why, I mean, you're 26 and you still like Avril Lavigne?), but then an old lady with a blue dress came out of nowhere to cross the street (there should be a law or something, so you can run over people who cross from the middle of the block, they deserve it) so you stopped abruptly (btw I don't know how you drive with those heels you wear) at the same time the song ended, so we laughed."

I think this sums up pretty well how I think my functions work!

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
My Te is much stronger than my Fi. When it comes to judgment Te is doing almost all of the work and Fi is just a side consultant that makes sure that things don't get amoral and it provides basic motivation for work. This dynamic works pretty well in most situations.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Se feeds Ni data. Ni feeds Se action.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The auxiliary and the tertiary functions have this balance that the dominant and inferior don't seem to have. At least not consciously. So I'm curious to hear how the balance between your auxiliary and tertiary function affects you in life. Do you think it makes you a more "developed" person? Is there even a balance?

I absolutely do not understand according to what facts you see a balance between auxiliary and tertiary. Noone on the world could balance my habit to rage between outbursts of excessive negative or positive display of emotions and blatant quiet stubbornness in pinpointing out a billion of irrelevant details to prove the other party was wrong and I was right. :)

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I don't really have a firm grip on what Ti actually is, so...

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really have a firm grip on what Ti actually is, so...

giphy.gif

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My Ne is more developed than my Si. My Si can either work brilliantly or not very well at all.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The very first interplay between aux/tert that I thought of -- conceiving a complete-ish grasp of some situation, surroundings, and current dynamic; then, if I'm feeling selfish or if I see an opportunity, maybe applying some good ol' "fake it to make it" to leverage it all to get whatever I want out of it.. ?

:popc1:

Not that that's the only such interplay, and not that the only MO is manipulative jerkery -- but, again, :popc1:.

Of course I could cop-out and say "well you get all compassionate when you analyze the state of the world" but that's a bogus answer. I'll have to mull over the question because it's an interesting one.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My Te is much stronger than my Fi. When it comes to judgment Te is doing almost all of the work and Fi is just a side consultant that makes sure that things don't get amoral and it provides basic motivation for work. This dynamic works pretty well in most situations.

This is pretty much how mine works too.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I hardly understand Ti. Also, my sources are telling me that I Fe more than I think I do. So I would say they're not that balanced, but I'm also still young and only just not getting to the age where the tertiary is supposed to start developing more.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I hardly understand Ti. Also, my sources are telling me that I Fe more than I think I do. So I would say they're not that balanced, but I'm also still young and only just not getting to the age where the tertiary is supposed to start developing more.

Ahh!! I feel the same with my Te. Fi is so domineering that any sort of plans or structure I do try to implement in my life is absolutely obliterated by my heavy handed Fi. It's OK Te, next time you'll have your chance, next time you'll be able to shine bright like a diamond.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ahh!! I feel the same with my Te. Fi is so domineering that any sort of plans or structure I do try to implement in my life is absolutely obliterated by my heavy handed Fi. It's OK Te, next time you'll have your chance, next time you'll be able to shine bright like a diamond.

I don't really feel like my Fe is domineering, actually I've always felt it was underdeveloped in some way, but the little birds told me about how I Fe a lot and it's weird that I'm not even aware of it. :p

Either way, both Fe and Ti are total slaves to my Si.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
my tertiary functions are highly overestimated by myself

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I definitely need to exercise my Ti muscles a bit more. It got me through college with a high GPA and flying colors, and then I let it rest for a bit after graduating. My Fe is getting better the older I get and the more I observe social norms and emulating others through my Ni-Se sequence.