• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] The soliloquy

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Otherwise known as being alone, and talking to empty space and/or yourself. Shakespeare was fond of their usage, and I've known people who use it to reconcile their thoughts. My mum does it and I've wandered in on her many times as a child during one of her conversations with herself.

But what trait is this? It sounds like extraverted thinking/feeling rebounded on herself (as opposed to being quiet in thought). But what about the need to be alone in the first place, which is more introverted behaviour?

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Still interested to hear whether this is more an Extravert/Introvert behaviour :dry:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not sure if it's more introvert or extrovert, but I just can't resist saying, all this makes me think of is Jean Valjean...

But, is there really an I/E preference for this? I mean, even though it's spoken aloud, it's spoken aloud while alone, right? I get the feeling it's just more of an individual preference. Then again, I haven't met anyone who does this (to my knowledge) outside of fiction.

Last edited:

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Otherwise known as being alone, and talking to empty space and/or yourself. Shakespeare was fond of their usage, and I've known people who use it to reconcile their thoughts. My mum does it and I've wandered in on her many times as a child during one of her conversations with herself.

Does your mum project her voice and enunciate when she's verbalising her thoughts? When you've wandered in on her, is there something more theatrical for you to overhear, or do you overhear her mumbling?

But what trait is this? It sounds like extraverted thinking/feeling rebounded on herself (as opposed to being quiet in thought). But what about the need to be alone in the first place, which is more introverted behaviour?

I know I've done this when I need to organise my thoughts on something and I definitely soliloquise if I'm angry. However, it's more snippets and under the breath than a soliloquy. And I do this when I'm confused or stressed: like I need to hear it aloud so that the thought sort of becomes an external object, like a song, and hearing it allows me to edit. The verbalising externalises the thought, and that externalisation (it's out there now) somehow facilitates much-needed detachment. I find I talk to myself the most when I'm struggling putting something into words, like when I need to write someone an email. In my case, it's probably stressed Ni.

I don't do it on the regular, though, as my day-to-day, homeostatic thoughts aren't word-friendly.

Interested to see how this thread progresses. Fascinating question.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Does your mum project her voice and enunciate when she's verbalising her thoughts? When you've wandered in on her, is there something more theatrical for you to overhear, or do you overhear her mumbling?

I know I've done this when I need to organise my thoughts on something and I definitely soliloquise if I'm angry. However, it's more snippets and under the breath than a soliloquy. And I do this when I'm confused or stressed: like I need to hear it aloud so that the thought sort of becomes an external object, like a song, and hearing it allows me to edit. The verbalising externalises the thought, and that externalisation (it's out there now) somehow facilitates much-needed detachment. I find I talk to myself the most when I'm struggling putting something into words, like when I need to write someone an email. In my case, it's probably stressed Ni.

I don't do it on the regular, though, as my day-to-day, homeostatic thoughts aren't word-friendly.

Interested to see how this thread progresses. Fascinating question.

It was always normal volume, like she was talking to someone else (that's what I thought it was at first). She seemed a little embarrassed each time but soon carried on when I left the bedroom. Was mostly about deciding how to approach certain problems or how to deal with certain people. It wasn't mumbling or particularly theatrical though.

I rarely use it as a tool, maybe just when my internal thought processes just aren't making sense, I recycle it through speech so it does. I dunno.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you know what type your mum is?
Was slightly confused and thought this was one of those immature preteen statements but reread OP. Shouldn't be quick to judge.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
She seemed a little embarrassed each time but soon carried on when I left the bedroom.

She strikes me as xNFP.

That she carried on once you left the room ... Well, as an Fe I wouldn't/couldn't continue conversing with myself knowing others were around. I don't want another person hearing or knowing my thoughts, don't care how banal they are. But I'm totally cool with talking to dogs and cats. They're adorable and discrete. In fact, I tell them everything. They know the launch codes.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
That she carried on once you left the room ... Well, as an Fe I wouldn't/couldn't continue conversing with myself knowing others were around. I don't want another person hearing or knowing my thoughts, don't care how banal they are. But I'm totally cool with talking to dogs and cats. They're adorable and discrete. In fact, I tell them everything. They know the launch codes.

Only when she thought I had gone...

And hey, dogs are great listeners!

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Only when she thought I had gone...

But she still returned to her conversation. Maybe that's an important detail, because I wouldn't, regardless of how banal the soliloquy/mumble/chatter.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
But she still returned to her conversation. Maybe that's an important detail, because I wouldn't, regardless of how banal the soliloquy/mumble/chatter.

Might be. With you, do you feel it helps with your thought process?

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Having stewed on it some more, I don't think I soliloquise in the manner in which the term deems. Even when talking with/to dogs, I don't soliloquise; it's more telling them sweet nothings, asking if they'd like a biscuit, divulging launch codes & bank PINs.

:heart: :doge: :heart:

With you, do you feel it helps with your thought process?

The only time I verbally externalise is when I'm refining/editing something I've written. I'll read it out to get a feel for if it sounds right, but I can't say it actually helps with my thought process. It just lets me know if it sounds/feels right or not. My thought process requires the Fortress of Solitude.

The only person I've seen enter into something like soliloquy-mode is an ENFP, and I know an INFP who chit-chats to herself, frequently and freely enough, for me to have observed her several times.

Thus far, all three participants of our control group are XNFP. Is this Ne-Fi/Fi-Ne?

As Ti-Ne, do you soliloquise?