• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Elfboy's Fi vs Fe test

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
well, you're clearly Fi given these test results, so I could see either ISFP or INFP (on an unrelated note, you seem more like a 9w8 than a 4w5)

... and you called me an 8w7 or 6w7 a couple days ago.

Burger King

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

I don't like this question. My initial impression was that feelings came from the heart, naturally, but then I am told that Fi users are to feel from their gut....? I initially picked "a" (heart), but changed because Fi users feel through their gut apparently, so therefore I must be "b."

Nicodemus

1) My feelings are easy to describe in words (conversationally, not in writing).
a) Often.
b) Not often, but more so in writing.

2) I empathize with people by...
a) Taking on their feelings as my own.
b) Thinking about how I would feel in that situation or drawing from experience of how I've felt in that situation in the past.

3) My emotions show a lot on my face.
a) Yes!
b) Not usually.

4) I am good at tailoring my behaviors and demeanor to various social situations.
a) Yes, unless I am with a really mean spirited group of people.
b) No.
c) I could, but I don't.

5) I place higher priority in...
a) Unity, team work, external harmony.
b) Self expression, internal harmony.

6) My feelings come from...
a) My heart.
b) My gut.

7) I care more about...
a) How a decision will effect people's feelings and well being.
b) The principle of the matter.

8) The external world has a strong impact on my feelings.
a) Yes. I am adaptable, but also easily effected
b) No, though I tend to gravitate toward places with a similar vibe to how I already feel.
c) No.

9) My beliefs come more from...
a) How I was raised, community values, how things effect people.
b) Myself. Even from a young age, I've always had strong views that sometimes differed from what I was taught. I can't really explain it, they were just "there".

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't like this question. My initial impression was that feelings came from the heart, naturally, but then I am told that Fi users are to feel from their gut....? I initially picked "a" (heart), but changed because Fi users feel through their gut apparently, so therefore I must be "b."

I don't find that question helpful, either. It depends on the emotion... if I'm angry (for example), I might feel that more in my chest because my heart is pounding and then feel it other places (tense muscles, warm face, perhaps). If I feel anxious or nervous, that starts more in the belly. Feeling sadness, compassion or joy seems to start more in the heart area.

Emotional awareness is connected to physical awareness... and it seems like different emotions have different physical cues. Granted, intuitives are somewhat likely to skip being aware of the specific cues and just perceive the holistic emotion without being aware of the exact source(s).

Really, though, don't see a basis for that question. Seems more confusing than helpful.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't find that question helpful, either. It depends on the emotion... if I'm angry (for example), I might feel that more in my chest because my heart is pounding and then feel it other places (tense muscles, warm face, perhaps). If I feel anxious or nervous, that starts more in the belly. Feeling sadness, compassion or joy seems to start more in the heart area.

Emotional awareness is connected to physical awareness... and it seems like different emotions have different physical cues. Granted, intuitives are somewhat likely to skip being aware of the specific cues and just perceive the holistic emotion without being aware of the exact source(s).

Really, though, don't see a basis for that question. Seems more confusing than helpful.

Agree. Even with Elfboy's explanation of what he means by the two, I still have no idea, and wouldn't describe mine as either. I much more relate to and experience emotions the way you describe.

-------

1) my feelings are easy to describe in words (conversationally, not in writing)
a) often
b) not often, but more so in writing

Depends on whether I KNOW what I'm feeling. If I know, I can articulate.

2) I empathize with people by
a) taking on their feelings as my own
b) thinking about how I would feel in that situation or drawing from experience of how I've felt in that situation in the past

A bit of both.

3) my emotions show a lot on my face
a) YES!
b) not usually

a), YES

4) I am good at tailoring my behaviors and demeanor to various social situations
a) yes, unless I am with a really mean spirited group of people
b) no

a), yes

5) I place higher priority in
a) unity, team work, external harmony
b) self expression, internal harmony

Both external and internal harmony. Both are required for me to feel at peace - both my needs/self and the other persons' needs/self met.

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

Doesn't apply.

7) I care more about
a) how a decision will effect people's feelings and well being
b) the principle of the matter.

Both.

8) the external world has a strong impact on my feelings
a) yes. I am adaptable, but also easily effected
b) no, though I tend to gravitate toward places with a similar vibe to how I already feel

I don't really understand this one. I am adaptable, but also gravitate towards groups/places that vibe based on who I am / I can merge in well with others and I fit in based on who I am and who I know they are. I'm not going to want to be in a longterm situation/group where I know I don't jive well with them or agree with them.

9) my beliefs come more from
a) how I was raised, community values, how things effect people
b) myself. even from a young age, I've always had strong views that sometimes differed from what I was taught. I can't really explain it, they were just "there"

B for several things, but probably not all; but I also take into account the big picture, i.e. I'm not the only person on the planet, thus I look at how things affect others. This wasn't acquired from how I was raised/values, but rather what I've concluded / based on who I am and what I think.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
[MENTION=14498]Cloud of Thunder[/MENTION]
Fe is heartfelt; Fi is visceral. any Fi user who is not an E4 will agree with me (on a side note, this is another reason why I think most INFPs are not 4s)
Okay, well then my answer is still from the heart.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here's a more detailed critique:

a) often

Seems like this is a problem, since not all Fi types tend to favor expression via writing. To stereotype some, I doubt the majority of ESFPs, for example, find writing to be the best way to express their emotional state. An ISFP might just as likely favor some non-verbal medium. An INFJ might find writing helpful. Seems too muddled to make a good determining question.

b) thinking about how I would feel in that situation or drawing from experience of how I've felt in that situation in the past

Again, I'm not sure this distinction is a clear one. I think emotional empathy happens for most healthy people, so everyone everyone tends to "take on feelings as their own" in a sense. I think Fe is more likely to want to help practically (which in some ways emphasizes the distinction between the helper and helpee, and in another way treats the issue as a shared problem), but Fi is more likely to emotionally commiserate... although both express warm concern. And, again, I suspect the NFPs tend to imaginatively enter into scenarios more then SFPs do, who respond more to the immediate cues.

a) YES!
b) not usually

Again, I think it depends. I think I personally tend to be all or nothing as far as emotional expression. If I don't feel safe I express little, but around people I trust I've very emotionally expressive. Still, what emotions i do express are usually genuinely felt. Given that, I have no idea how to answer the question.

4) I am good at tailoring my behaviors and demeanor to various social situations
b) no

Again, I think many FPs can be extremely accommodating until a value is hit. My ESFP oldest brother has a way of blending in and being charming and funny that's almost frightening... he'll quickly adopt mannerisms and speech patterns of the group he's interacting with. Now, I don't think he's as good at knowing and applying the unwritten social rules as an ESFJ would be, but I'd think he'd answer (a) here. I tend to be very accommodating (in an INFP kind of way) and do respond to social feedback pretty quickly. However, I'm pretty inflexible when it comes to something I value.

One of your more clear questions, I think. Still, one have an Fi-ish value of harmony with others, or just have an aversion to unnecessary discord.

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

Already addressed in previous post.

7) I care more about

That's a tough one for me, because one of my values is not harming others unnecessarily (including emotionally). The issue has to be reasonably serious before I will upset others... so that's a principle for me. If people "stir the pot" for no reason but their own amusement, I find that infuriating. So, given that, I tend to always factor in other people's well being, because, for me, it's a core principle.

Conversely, and TP would likely say "b," as would many TJs, I suspect. "Principle" can just as easily representing a Thinking one as a Feeling one.

b) no, though I tend to gravitate toward places with a similar vibe to how I already feel

Of course the external world has an impact on emotions. One's environment ALWAYS does (whether one is consciously aware of it or not). One may select and environment that intensifies one's emotional state, but I hardly see that as Fi v Fe. Now, I tend to know my emotional state and what's effecting it and why... but that doesn't really fall into a or b.

b) myself. even from a young age, I've always had strong views that sometimes differed from what I was taught. I can't really explain it, they were just "there"

This doesn't seem to be a great question, given that everyone (yes, even you), absorbs many values through his or her upbringing. In some ways, FPs can take such values more to heart, since they tend to be less socially practical than FJs. I know I took my fundamentalist religious upbringing very seriously, and it was heart-wrenching to come out as gay, because I'd internalized so many of those values so deeply (even compared to my straight brothers). Still, I had plenty of values of my own that were discordant with my environment... but we're all a mix of external and internal influences. In some ways, this could be interpreted as an E vs I questions, since introverts often (but not always) feel the gulf between persona and true self more keenly.

On the whole, I thought a lot of the questions showed an NFP bias for the Fi choices. I was puzzled about the "why" behind a number of the questions.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
]1) my feelings are easy to describe in words (conversationally, not in writing)
a) often

a) YES!
b) not usually

b) no

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

**I don't know**

7) I care more about

**Both**

more A's: Fe
more B's: Fi

**I relate way more to Fe than Fi.

plastic

MBTI Type
????
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
5/4. Get rid of the heart/gut question, and it's 4/4. So, uh...

wolfy

awsm
a) often

a) YES!
b) not usually

b) no

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

7) I care more about

PS: please feel free to point out if you believe one of the questions is biased or stereotyped.

EDIT: I took out number 3 because it sucked and renumbered them

1b
2 b
3 b
4 b
5 b
6 b
7 b
8 b
9 b

I am more Fi I guess.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1. B
2. Mixed, maybe mostly B but in more of a method acting way; by drawing on my own experiences and emotions I am more able to take on others feelings as my own.
3. Not sure.
4. Mostly B, a little A.
5. B
6. B
7. Mostly A, some B
8. Mixed.
9. B

How's about that?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mainly checked a), except for the last question.

I'm Fe as hell.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
OK. Here I go:

a) often

a) YES!
b) not usually
I have no idea. Probably B.

b) no

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut
I don't understand this one. I'd guess I'd say my gut.

7) I care more about

======================

Not bad elfboy! Though I'd be curious to see how this test would work with people who had never heard of Fe and Fi. In other words, I think it's useful for people who already understand Fe and Fi. You test illustrates the differences. But does it have probative value for people trying to determine if they use Fe or Fi? I guess that remains to be seen.

:smile:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Hmmm...

a) often

b), generally speaking. I'm less articulate in person and struggle to express what I'm feeling, although I think it's expressed with more candor when I'm with, say, my therapist.

Not sure what is meant by a)... I'll have to sit on the fence here.

a) YES!
b) not usually

I'm not quite sure how transparent I am, but I choose b). I can be idiosyncratically expressive in my own way, though.

b) no

Mostly a), though it's always some sort of variation on "Viridian". Does that make sense?

I think a), though I'm not a natural team project guy.

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

A little of both?

7) I care more about

a), methinks. Though I lapse into b) at times due to my obsessive-compulsive streak.

a), though I'm divided on the "adaptable" part.

Hard to say. I don't even know what I believe anymore. :/

That's 4 a)s, 2 b)s and 3 "undecided". Verdict: Fe.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Perhaps due to my enneatype and upbringing, I score quite close to midline, though slightly more Fi.

1 B; 2 B; 3 A; 4 B; 5 both?; 6 B; 7 B; 8 A; 9 both.

--

I think #3 is biased by the all caps, and the imbalance of definite vs indefinite.

#9 is hard for me to answer. My views are my own, but they reflect many elements of my upbringing and schooling.

I would think, theoretically, #7 would be the crux question.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've highlighted the choices that pertain more to me.

a) often

In between, but closer to A, I think. I can describe what I feel usually without problem, I just don't always choose to share what I'm feeling.

a) YES!
b) not usually

In between. I guess I'm closer to B. I'm not totally stoic in my expression though and there is some feeling. If I feel strongly about something, I think most people would notice. If its a more subtle feeling, probably not unless I tell them.

b) no

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

Hmmm. Both? I always saw the two as kind of the same thing.

7) I care more about

Both

PS: please feel free to point out if you believe one of the questions is biased or stereotyped.

Number 7 possibly. Many Fi types will tell you that they weigh in how a decision impacts others and many Fe types care about values and principles.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This test is too simplified and either-or. For some I would choose Fi and for many I would want to choose both.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
a) often

b

b

a) YES!
b) not usually

b, but lately i have been trying to have the courage to show them more

b) no

b

both

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

neither, they come from amygdala and hypothalamus

7) I care more about

more b, but also a

im easily affected by some things, but not so often on things that people usually are

both