• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Survival Skills

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Of course this includes abilities such as being able to start a fire, pitch a tent (no, no that tent) and shoot a gun...but what about the functional ability to adapt physically to any situation?

Like just now in another thread I was astounded that it never occurred to an individual to not wash their cup in the bathroom sink with hot water and hand soap at work.

I've washed dishes and clothes and my hair in the sink before. I've brushed my teeth outdoors with a glass of water.

In college, when I didn't have a washer and dryer, nor wanted to spend money on the laundry mat, I washed my clothes in the bath tub (except for undies which I washed carefully in the sink) with laundry detergent and a big two-by-four with which I "stirred" the water for agitation like old school. Then I squeezed water out, soaked, and rinsed.

It was time consuming, but since I lived alone, it's not like anyone needed the bath tub, and I could watch tv or get on-line or read or do my homework while my clothes were soaking.

I know there are other adaptation life skills I have, but I'm curious about others, like who else thinks this way?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know there are other adaptation life skills I have, but I'm curious about others, like who else thinks this way?
I do. It reminds me of one of our slogans in the military: "Improvise, adapt, and overcome". I have travelled a fair amount and developed a whole repertoire of travel skills, not just doing laundry in the sink and mending on the fly, but also packing an immersion heater and coffee mug for preparing dehydrated food. I am especially good at improvising solutions and tools/gadgets using available items. It's actually fun. Some of it relies on forseeing likely needs and keeping versatile items handy.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me, too. I can always think of a way. But I was in scouting (briefly but I like to think it had an influence), and my parents were West Virginians (and their parents). It's funny but I associate it with that more than anything. Now that I think of it, that may not have anything to do with it.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I've spent a lot of time in Iraq during the summers, when more than 80% of the time they didn't have electricity, so a lot of things you'd usually use machines for ended up getting done by hand. I learned how to properly wash a ton of clothes by squishing them with my feet, raise an animal and how to properly kill(I've only watched them do it)/skin it, how to manage a fire for optimal results, how to partition water so you don't run out quickly. I've even looked at what they do with leather/fur once its been dried.
I'd probably be really good in adapting to any situation, or a survival situation that didn't involve me freezing to death. I've always been very good at improvising and make-shifting from useless things when necessary. I used to keep a "survival kit", and now I just keep a small kit in case I need to leave my apartment really quickly(like a fire, etc). I've watched a shit ton of survival shows( not bear grylls, he doesn't count), where they show how you can use wood to start a fire, which sort of wood is the best, how to make traps, make rope, what sort of plants are edible , and use what you have to your advantage, etc. I keep pdf books on them too( I obviously need printed copies).
All things probably unnecessary unless I really had to depend on my ability to make due with what I have because I can't afford an alternative; which again, would not be an issue. We've all cracked coconuts and made bowls out of them for fun! :tongue:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The conditioning of your body. If you get in a jam, and your body isn't honed, it makes it much more difficult. Whether it be kidnapping or simple lost away from civilization on unforgiving terrain

LEGERdeMAIN

I've done the same thing for washing clothes during times that I didn't own a washing machine. I always bleached the tub prior to washing clothes though, just in case. I actively think about services or purchases that I would be better off making, improvising or doing myself. Some of the things I've done were small-scale and typical and for frugality's sake, for example: instead of going out to a restaurant for an $8 tuna sub, I'll buy those same ingredients at a grocery store. $8 worth of tuna sub ingredients yields about three subs, with bread to spare. If restaurants offered a buy-1-get-2-free + three sub rolls special, I'd totally eat out more often.

The list of things that I could've bought but decided to make instead is longer, so here are some examples: cutting boards, replacement knife handles, step stools, plant pots, bamboo wind chimes, tables, chairs, bookshelves, bed frames, headboards, moccasins, window molding, dog houses, sheds, fishing poles, door stops, shower curtains, window curtains, shelves for tools, toolboxes, chests, etc, etc.

I'm currently taking a break from making candle holders for the candles I'll be making this weekend. Getting stocked up for a craft fair next month, where you can make stuff that most people buy and sell it to that segment of consumers who like hand-made, local products :))))

I don't think it's really necessary to do everything yourself, especially if it's not enjoyable to you, but it definitely can save you money. Another example: A 9 oz paraffin(oil refining by-product) candle I saw at Target a couple of weeks ago was $14, you can get 5lbs of pure beeswax(renewable, lasts longer) for around $40 online, or less if you call up a local beekeeper association. To make candles, you need or may desire: wax, a pot, funnel(sometimes), spoon or a stick or something to stir with, mold(empty coffee can, flower pot, etc), a wick(loose string?) and a source of heat.... most people have already have these things and it takes all of ten minutes to heat up a pound of wax and pour into a container. How much does a store-bought candle cost? How long does it take to make a candle? How much are the materials? How many hours will I have to work for someone else to buy a candle at a store versus not working, making it for myself and will I ultimately save both time and money if I decide to do it myself?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I often make the things I need, not just because it saves money, but because I can't find what I want in the store. Goods are cheap quality, don't have the features I want, and aren't customized to my needs (e.g. odd window sizes).