• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup experts please help

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Hey lovelies. So I've decided that I want to start wearing makeup--for self-esteem, fun, and to stop being confused for a 14 year old. The problem is that I'm so fucking clueless. There are so many products and items. Take me to Sephora and I'll just curl up into a ball.

I'm looking for a subtle but natural look. No bold lips or anything, just a pretty everyday look for school. Something easy for a complete beginner. Where do I start? I have literally no skills.

It's also worth mentioning that I'm super poor, and that I'm paid minimum wage for an off-and-on job.

Thanks! :)

Kas

Fabula rasa
My first real cosmetics purchase was Manhattan Soft Compact Powder and correction fluid and Eveline (don't know if it's sold in US) black mascara and black pensil eyeliner. It was all rather cheap still not bad quality (served me well). I think that good correction fluid, powder and mascara (often cheap mascaras are not bad at all) of middle price are good start.
That's for everyday look. Then you can buy also eyeliner and colourful eyeshadows and get a little bit more crazy:D

Some liked lip-glosses too. But I was never fond of them- looked unnatural on me. I always prefered nothing or lipstick.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Since you're going for a more subtle or natural look, you might like clear mascara. I wear it all the time and it accentuates my eyelashes without leaving black clumps all over.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes foundation makes a huge difference in how you look, just evening out your face coloration. Still some people don't like putting stuff on their face.

if you ever think you might be interested in that: While you can spend a buttload of money on expensive brand foundations, some decent ones are in the lower-end brands; I still use Revlon Colorstay (and a blending brush), along with a basic setting powder. I use a pretty thin layer, it's lasted me awhile.

.... oh, and don't feel bad about Sephora or Ulta giving you a brain aneurysm. I still don't know what to buy half the time. Too many brands, too many variations of shade and color, too much differing quality between brands and even within them. I do a lot of online research just to see what products are touted (especially if a cheaper brand gets great reviews).

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I LOVE beauty products but I'm also really intimidated by beauty stores like Sephora and I'm cheap. Sorry but I don't need a $30 lipstick!
I used to subscribe to BirchBox and Ipsy and that's how I became exposed to beauty products and started to sorta use them. Otherwise I usually just buy products from Walmart or Shoppers.

To me mascara is the most important thing because I have blonde lashes, but I think mascara looks good on everyone. Lash Blast is still one of my drugstore favorites and it's usually around $5 to $7:
maxresdefault.jpg

Another really good one that I usually get from Ipsy is Benefit They're Real!
51lw-K5TeNL.jpg

Besides mascara I would maybe try a BB cream instead of a foundation (unless you need foundation). BB creams are lighter, almost like a lotion with a bit of foundation, offer minimal coverage, but have added things like UVA/UVB protection and salycilic acid (for blemishes). I use the Garnier BB cream and it's perfect because it makes your skin look very even even though it doesn't even look like you're wearing makeup, and it definitely prevents very mild acne.
Garnier_Miracle_Skin_Perfector_Anti_Ageing_B_B__Cream___Light_50ml_1371724944.png

Things like bronzer, blush and highlighter are things you can experiment with but in my view are generally quite unnecessary for daily wear unless you're going for a more specific look.

With brow powders or gels especially I would suggest practicing lots in terms of blending them in because speaking from experience, they can make your eyebrows look ridiculous.

If you want to experiment with any lip stuff I would start with lip stains like the Revlon ones. They offer beautiful colors but aren't overly harsh.
Revlon-Just-Bitten-Kissable-Balm-Stains-7.jpg

Revlon-lipstick-swatches-on-lips.jpg

If you're comfortable with online shopping, you should give ELF a try. It's amazing and everything is SO cheap

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Hey lovelies. So I've decided that I want to start wearing makeup--for self-esteem, fun, and to stop being confused for a 14 year old. The problem is that I'm so fucking clueless. There are so many products and items. Take me to Sephora and I'll just curl up into a ball.

I'm looking for a subtle but natural look. No bold lips or anything, just a pretty everyday look for school. Something easy for a complete beginner. Where do I start? I have literally no skills.

It's also worth mentioning that I'm super poor, and that I'm paid minimum wage for an off-and-on job.

Thanks! :)

Look in that huge makeup beauty and health products thread. That said, if you don't want to go into a Sephora or Ulta, drugstore stuff is fine. There are some ELF items that are fine but, you get what you pay for. I use their eyebrow gel - it's excellent and their makeup set spray. I also like Physicians Formula but, it's not cheap in comparison to ELF. If you literally have no skills in makeup application, go to You Tube. Ulta and many others have their own channels.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ultabeauty

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] is an expert on just about everything. :sage:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do a mostly natural look and never buy expensive makeup. Foundation, a little line of bronzer just under the cheek bones and a dot in each temple, blend it in. Little spot of pink blush on the apples of my cheeks, and mascara (I like brownish black cuz it's not as severe looking).

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
For me, I generally don't put anything on my face, partly cos I have a skin condition and partly cos I feel self-conscious with much make up on. I don't like most make-up tbh so I just go for eyeliner (usually a simple subtle cats eye) and a bit of lippy (I go for slightly pinker looking lips personally) whenever I wear it. It's easy and quick to do, not ott and makes you look much prettier if you do it well. I'd throw in some foundation if you don't mind stuff on your face, and maybe mascara if your eyelashes are pretty short and/or thin but sometimes with eyeliner you can make your eyelashes look better anyway. I can't talk about cheap brands cos idk what they have over in wherever you live if it's not the UK, but generally if you're not using many items it shouldn't be expensive really, and there are always good cheap options I'd say.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Seconding brown mascara. I often use powder without foundation, too, because I don't have that much time or patience - bronzer and highlight. It's very subtle that way, but makes a pleasing difference.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I use foundation cuz I have clear/irritable/blotchy/acne-prone skin. Powder is better for light coverage, but make sure it's not too light cuz it can go mime fast ime.

Also I mix my foundation with moisturizer in my hand sometimes to cut the thickness of 'coverage' and to be nice to my skin.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IIRC you have really good skin, fetus, so I dunno if you need foundation. A good tinted moisturizer/BB cream should be enough for you. Brown eyeliner if you want or brown mascara like other people suggested. I do like the Physician's Formula stuff. Burt's Bees has some nice, fairly neutral lip colors that might work for you.

Shop at CVS and get a CVS card. They have a lot of discounts and coupons and they also allow you to return makeup ... even if you're opened and used it.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a big fan of makeup although I don't usually put that much specially on my eyes, but I really like to wear strong colors on my lips..
I can give you some everyday makeup steps and also some little tricks that would give you best results spending less money, I personally do it and works good on me..
We can put it into few steps:

Skin: for makeup to look really good, it's essential to always take care of your skin, drink enough liquids and water, exfoliate it at least once a week, you can use a little face sponge and baby soap to rub and get rid of dead cells and oils, moisture your face by rubbing it with about 3 drops of coconut oil.
Base: you can use it if you're going out for a long hours, it helps keeping your makeup on place and to not fade, choose a transparent base from any brand, I don't usually use one specific brand for base..
Foundation: I usually use BB cream from Garnier, it has a very reasonable price and it is really nice on the skin, it's a good moisturizer too, it has SPF 15 (sun protection) it gives light coverage and glowing skin for everyday usage, it's amazing..
Concealer: if you feel like going for extra coverage of dark circles or dark spots on your skin, I usually use Maxfactor color corrector, but I'm afraid you'll find a difficulty blending it with the foundation in the beginning, so you better go for a liquid concealer from any of these brands Maybelline, L'oreal, Rimmel, Maxfactor etc, they're all work pretty well..
Loose Powder: you can use it to set everything on place, I usually use just very little baby powder, it works as good as a top brand loose powder, after applying it, let's move to other steps..
Eyeshadow: always stick with earth colors, from any of reasonable prices brands, and begin from the lightest color starting from just bellow the eyebrows to the darkest as you come closer to your eyelids and eyelashes, don't use more than 3 shades, if you want to strengthen the color and make it look like you're using some top brand palettes, I will show you a little trick for that as you keep reading ;)
Eyeliner: I recall that you have a brown eye, so stay away from white eyeliners, if you feel like using black eyeliner then go for it, I love it, it just gives you an exotic stare, if you think it's too much, you can use purple or green instead..
Mascara: Try to put a little bit only on your upper eyelashes starting from the roots, don't apply it only on the tips of your lashes because it will make them fall, and avoid applying it on the lower lashes because it needs more careful usage and it's not suitable for everyday makeup..
Lipstick: stick with gloss because it's easier , preferably light baby pink or peach..
Makeup fix spray: in a little spray bottle, mix half rose water with half normal water and add about six drops of glycerine (if you have a dry skin and 3 of you have oily skin) shake it well and spray it over your face, it would reduce the crispy look of the powder and fix your makeup and would give you a natural glowing skin just like any top brand makeup spray, you can also spray a little bit on your eyeshadow brush before using the color that you would like to apply, and the color would stand out more like any top brand eyeshadow, it works amazing..
Makeup removal: you can use baby wipes, just put the wipe on your eye for few seconds then rub it gently, after cleansing, just use some coconut oil to re-moisturize your skin..

Remember to always check the expiry date, and search in youtube for "everyday makeup tutorial" for more information :)

meme duchess

mein, memeself, and MeMe
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am in no way a make-up expert but if it helps, here's a website where everything - or, around 99.99% of products are only $1.00. I've bought from it once and it's definitely great for its price.

Here are the ones I actively use on my face:
1. BB Skin Washcream (I kind of fuck up with contouring but still put it regardless because it kind of gives a shine to my face, hah)
2. Liquid Eyeliner (Subtle at first but turned into a wing)
3. Mascara (Clumpy so I don't use it as often but...)
4. Eyelash Curler (Doesn't seem to do much but I suppose how you use it makes a difference)
4. Natural Eyeshadow (Matches skin-tones - from a light beige to dark brown)
5. Smoky Eyeshadow (Shades ranging from black to white)

Hope this helps.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just bought and used tinted moisturizer for the first time today. 10/10 would recommend. I could only find a shade that's darker than my skin (because I'm pale) but it's not as heavy or pigmented as foundation, so it still ended up matching my skin tone when I put it on. It also doesn't feel like you're adding an extra layer to your face. It feels very light.