• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are millennials so miserable?

Lark

Hard as nails guys, hard as nails.

No feels there. No. Siree.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
It's really just Boomers who don't get it. And they'll be dead soon (though not soon enough). Until then, not getting it remains their specialty.
yvJsaOS.png
I think it's a fairly widely held misconception that boomers are millennial parents. Most millennial parents are from the Me Generation. Boomers are the parents of gen x, for the most part, whom they have much more in common with. Millennials are much more like their teenagers-in-the-80s parents.

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's a fairly widely held misconception that boomers are millennial parents. Most millennial parents are from the Me Generation. Boomers are the parents of gen x, for the most part, whom they have much more in common with. Millennials are much more like their teenagers-in-the-80s parents.
I'm a Millennial. My parents are Boomers. Boomers basically perfected divorce. It's not unusual to find Boomers on their third or fourth marriage, with children across a broad age spectrum (encompassing both Gen X and my cohort). Your argument is invalid.

And that isn't the point anyway. The point is that Boomers are a cancer unto this country and we'll be well rid of them.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm a Millennial. My parents are Boomers. Boomers basically perfected divorce. It's not unusual to find Boomers on their third or fourth marriage, with children across a broad age spectrum (encompassing both Gen X and my cohort). Your argument is invalid. And that isn't the point anyway. The point is that Boomers are a cancer unto this country and we'll be well rid of them.
What year did your folks graduate high school if you don't mind me asking?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Ohh...yeah... :dry:

Some people feel that my conservative background invalidates any thoughts opinions or insights into anything else I might have. I'm fine with it (whatever other people do with their mental space), but I would never advise someone to adhere to that practice. Point being- this is not a political thread.

That overlapped with 9/11 and the war on terror, though. That's got to be a big factor.

The dark reason so many millennials are miserable and broke - MarketWatch

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some people feel that my conservative background invalidates any thoughts opinions or insights into anything else I might have. I'm fine with it (whatever other people do with their mental space), but I would never advise someone to adhere to that practice. Point being- this is not a political thread

But u r literally Hitler

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Some people feel that my conservative background invalidates any thoughts opinions or insights into anything else I might have. I'm fine with it (whatever other people do with their mental space), but I would never advise someone to adhere to that practice. Point being- this is not a political thread.

Had you never mentioned millennials, never blamed them for a plethora of ills, then the above would be believable and your insights and opinions on them more valid. But we all know that's not the case, there is plenty from you on them all over the forums. You must have a personal problem with them, an entire generation must have wronged you in some fashion.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Had you never mentioned millennials, never blamed them for a plethora of ills, then the above would be believable and your insights and opinions on them more valid. But we all know that's not the case, there is plenty from you on them all over the forums. You must have a personal problem with them, an entire generation must have wronged you in some fashion.

I have a philosophical problem with a series of patterned behavior generated by a generalized majority of the millennial demographic, as I simply would like them to succeed and find meaning in life because I have a good number of millennial aged individuals that I care about, and I see the aforementioned patterned behavior as an impediment to that ends worthy of criticism.

So while I'm not sure how someone could theoretically be 'wronged by an entire generation,' I think a more likely explanation for your matchstick leg enforced tower of logic is that you have twisted my words in the past through your lens of deeply personal animus and hate for conservatives, as you've just done once again.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have a philosophical problem with a series of patterned behavior generated by a generalized majority of the millennial demographic, as I simply would like them to succeed and find meaning in life because I have a good number of millennial aged individuals that I care about, and I see the aforementioned patterned behavior as an impediment to that ends worthy of criticism.

So while I'm not sure how someone could theoretically be 'wronged by an entire generation,' I think a more likely explanation for your matchstick leg enforced tower of logic is that you have twisted my words in the past through your lens of deeply personal animus and hate for conservatives, as you've just done once again.

Just you, man. Just you.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Just you, man. Just you.

Maybe me in a particular way, but I'm not sure you can even mention conservatives without frothing at the mouth with some insulting qualifier- which leads me to believe that it is not just me, or even me at all that drives your inner rage.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Interesting video. Are there any millennials here who do not fit the bill as he describes them (beginning around the 5:00 mark)? If so, in which way?
Most of them don't fit that description. The only people that think the majority of them do, or rather, claim to think they do, are people eager to take the worst examples of millenials andpaint strokes with a broad brush with the intent of sowing conflict. I say 'claim to think' because nobody actually believes that more than 50% of millenials are most of those things, and if they say they do, they're lying.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Most of them don't fit that description. The only people that think the majority of them do, or rather, claim to think they do, are people eager to take the worst examples of millenials andpaint strokes with a broad brush with the intent of sowing conflict. I say 'claim to think' because nobody actually believes that more than 50% of millenials are most of those things, and if they say they do, they're lying.

Why conflict necessarily? Why not simply to explore and discuss types of behavior that should be avoided? Or could it be a conflict with negative behaviors, and as such a good thing?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think they are miserable due to being told to follow their dreams, in a world with a declining economy. Tricked into thinking they can make a living, on doing anything they want and completely disregard skilled labor.

They were led into an increasingly for profit college education that put them into 100ks of debt that they probably will not pay off for many years. Just to not find a job, due to over saturation of the market.

The lack of cultural identity or drive that previous generations had that sets them apart from their parents. Previous generations all had a specific identity. As the generations continue to become smaller and smaller, they lose that identity.

This created a fuck all mindset, and the desire for revolutionary change. Many are turning to the opposite of what is the establishment. Which just happens to be the Democrats who ran the show for 8 years. It is why many of them embraced Trump, as they saw him as a factor of change.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Why conflict necessarily? Why not simply to explore and discuss types of behavior that should be avoided? Or could it be a conflict with negative behaviors, and as such a good thing?
Exactly. It makes you wonder. Perhaps I'm wrong about that intent...but if people are claiming the majority of millenials are most of these things in the video while knowing that's not true, then what other intent could be at play?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I forgot about the OP's annoying "I'm the millennial who hates other millenials" schtick.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I forgot about the OP's annoying "I'm the millennial who hates other millenials" schtick.
Legend has it that after he was exiled from the forum, after a brief period of roaming the vastness of the internet in search of another forum where he could shitpost and call home, he eventually was recruited by and has firmly settled into the role he was destined to fill -- lead op-ed contributor for CNBC and MSNBC, where he spends his days gleefully writing articles about how Millennials are bringing forth the collapse of the American economy because they don't eat at chain restaurants like Applebee's, TGI Fridays, and Red Lobster.