• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Artificial intelligence now knows your personality type just by looking at your eyes

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
rainboweye.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Personality tests, from makeshift Facebook quizzes to serious psychological sorters, are all the rage these days. Many of these are based on the so-called "Big Five" personality traits that most contemporary personality psychologists believe make up our many varied temperaments: extraversion, agreeableness, openness, conscientiousness, and neuroticism.

Now, though, all of these tests are about to become obsolete. Pretty soon, artificial intelligence should be able to know your personality just by looking at the ways your eyes move, according to a University of South Australia press release.

Researchers at the University of South Australia, in collaboration with the University of Stuttgart, Flinders University, and the Max Planck Institute for Informatics in Germany, have developed algorithms capable of reliably identifying four of the Big Five traits in a human subject by merely tracking eye movement.

How your eyes move reveals way more about you than you ever could have imagined.

Amberiat

Infinity
I went through that article hoping to find a detailed explanation of how this system actually interpreted eye movement and what I saw were the usual baseless accuracy claims, no explanation as to how it actually works.

I don't think it's impossible to make a connection between eye movement and brain activity in order to attempt predicting someones thought process (although accurately defining their personality would be very difficult even with this) but what you've linked here is nothing to get excited about, no proof nor reasoning as to how/why it works which makes it dismissable.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I went through that article hoping to find a detailed explanation of how this system actually interpreted eye movement and what I saw were the usual baseless accuracy claims, no explanation as to how it actually works.

I don't think it's impossible to make a connection between eye movement and brain activity in order to attempt predicting someones thought process (although accurately defining their personality would be very difficult even with this) but what you've linked here is nothing to get excited about, no proof nor reasoning as to how/why it works which makes it dismissable.

so you are saying you could see it not being impossible to link eye movement with brain activity and then say there is no proof of how/why it works and thus makes it dismissible?

Amberiat

Infinity
so you are saying you could see it not being impossible to link eye movement with brain activity and then say there is no proof of how/why it works and thus makes it dismissible?

I'm saying I believe it could be possible to at least achieve something close to it but I don't think that this research in particular has any merit to it, it's too shallow of an attempt, but an attempt nonetheless.

Icedream

Absurdus Malum
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Compare it to ENIAC or early virtual reality. Technology is usually unbelievably crude when it first starts out. I'm not saying that this will certainly improve, but I am saying that it's alright if it's terrible right now, at least.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm saying I believe it could be possible to at least achieve something close to it but I don't think that this research in particular has any merit to it, it's too shallow of an attempt, but an attempt nonetheless.

Big data is pretty unassuming. Big data can predict when someone is about to go manic, for example. I don't think I would dismiss the claim even though the actual article is missing.