• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trolls and Brilliance

Mole

Permabanned
Reading these replies it seems to me trolling is deeply underestimated.

Just as computer hackers were underestimated, yet even Australia has today set up a Cyber Warfare Division.

Trolls are brilliant and waging warfare on our psyches.

At first WW I was denied and called the phoney war, but soon burst into full bloom, so trolling is underestimated and misunderstood, and is bursting forth into cyber warfare across the globe.

We have had Psych-Ops in warfare for some time now, and trolling is now Psych-Ops in the internet, click on Psychological Operations (United States) - Wikipedia

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The interesting thing is that we don't control our unconscious. The very fact that it is unconscious puts it beyond our control. This is the backdoor trolls use to control our conscious.
Perhaps not directly, but we can indeed be vigilant about our thoughts and especially our actions. Doing so can reveal anomalies and inconsistencies indicative of unconscious thoughts, making them easier to see.

Mole

Permabanned
Perhaps not directly, but we can indeed be vigilant about our thoughts and especially our actions. Doing so can reveal anomalies and inconsistencies indicative of unconscious thoughts, making them easier to see.

Yes, it is quite like catching a glimpse of shadows out of the corner of our eye.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
The interesting thing is that we don't control our unconscious. The very fact that it is unconscious puts it beyond our control. This is the backdoor trolls use to control our conscious. On the other side, trolls are deeply motivated by their own unconscious to viciously harm others, they are highly motivated to infiltrate our unconscious and turn it against ourself. This is why trolling is so brilliant: because it is invisible, even to the troll. And being invisible it is infinitely deniable, and trolling is denied by both the troll and their victim.

While I agree people influence one another in ways we cannot always describe, or even detect, how then, do you know that a particular area of influence accumulated by external sources is trolling? How can you parse that information from influence that isn't harmful to the psyche? How then, can you determine that what you label as the "trolling influence" within our subconscious is even harmful? Do we therefore attribute any internal struggles or vice towards trolling? Meaning, without the subconscious motivations of trolls, affecting our subconscious, on a level we cannot know, is our psyche pure and strong?

I understand this thread as interested, not in what trolling, specifically does to an individual, but what it means to live in this undeterminable vagueness.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Reading these replies it seems to me trolling is deeply underestimated. Just as computer hackers were underestimated, yet even Australia has today set up a Cyber Warfare Division. Trolls are brilliant and waging warfare on our psyches. At first WW I was denied and called the phoney war, but soon burst into full bloom, so trolling is underestimated and misunderstood, and is bursting forth into cyber warfare across the globe. We have had Psych-Ops in warfare for some time now, and trolling is now Psych-Ops in the internet, click on Psychological Operations (United States) - Wikipedia
Its not underestimated...its a huge problem that i see causing MANY issues. I still dont consider people who feed off of gullible people brilliant. They are average people taking advantage of others who are easy to manipulate because they aren good enough to go after actual brilliant people. This is like saying that the slow guy is fast because he can outrun a huge swath of disabled people.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Alas, they are only as effective as much as you are affected by their behavior. Pay them no attention, brush them aside, see right past their tactics and they are little more than pesky children.
But if the mind is a brilliant thing and these trolls are above the mind then they are brilliance squared. Who cares about the saying the mind is a beautiful thing to waste...minds cant be wasted, they are brilliant works of art. Since we all hage a mind we must all be brilliant...therefor we just supported logicaly the fact that trolls are brilliance squared :shrug:

Logic is a beautiful thing to waste with screwy thinking.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Trolls show true psychological brilliance, for they reach inside us and arouse strong feelings and emotions.

Trolls don't approach us rationally, they don't offer us evidence and reason, instead they directly manipulate our emotions - and they do this brilliantly.

They are brilliant not because they do this consciously, but because they do this unconsciously, and so hook our unconscious as well.

And it is very difficult to unhook our unconscious, once hooked.

And it is fair to describe trolls as hookers.

Trolls? Do you mean those kids who waste their time and energy to come up with something pathetic to attract the attention of others?

I have heard of them, but never met one.

Mole

Permabanned
I understand this thread as interested, not in what trolling, specifically does to an individual, but what it means to live in this undeterminable vagueness.

Most of us live in an environment of extreme individualism so it is natural to describe trolls in terms of the individual, however there is also a social dimension to trolls easily overlooked.

Trolls are omnipresent and so carry out a social function. And it seems to me that trolls police conformity, particularly among adolescents. And indeed we find that most trolls here are adolescents carrying out the injunctions of their society. And these same adolescents band together to troll those they see as not conforming. Adolescents have a deep desire to belong, and the way to belong is to conform.

I realise that those born and bred on individualism find the social interpretation to be passing strange. I think this is interesting just in itself, and throws a light on cultural relativism.

Mole

Permabanned
Trolls? Do you mean those kids who waste their time and energy to come up with something pathetic to attract the attention of others?

I have heard of them, but never met one.

I think trolls provide a useful social function particularly for adolescents. And the fact that we focus on how annoying they are, only shows how successful they are. The annoyance is called misdirection, and directs our attention away from the social function of trolling.

Mole

Permabanned
As for this thread, ask not for whom the Mole trolls, he trolls for thee.

Just as Mole is making a principled critique of trolling, he is called a troll himself. This is the classic way of avoiding the issue by attacking the messenger.

It seems to me you might get sick of attacking Mole personally, I had hoped ad hominem comments would become passé, but they are perennial, they represent an indelible narcissism.

á´…eparted

passages
Just as Mole is making a principled critique of trolling, he is called a troll himself. This is the classic way of avoiding the issue by attacking the messenger.

It seems to me you might get sick of attacking Mole personally, I had hoped ad hominem comments would become passé, but they are perennial, they represent an indelible narcissism.

You have openly admitted to me, publically, several times as well as to others that you are not here to make friends or add value and improve the forum, but to sow discord and do not intend to get along. You don't even believe in MBTI and see it as a big problem. That is, by definition, a troll. The lady doth often protest too much on these matters. Totenkindly isn't wrong.

For the sake of this though, you aren't doing anything obviously against the rules, so have at it. Don't expect others not to push back though.

Mole

Permabanned
But if the mind is a brilliant thing and these trolls are above the mind then they are brilliance squared. Who cares about the saying the mind is a beautiful thing to waste...minds cant be wasted, they are brilliant works of art. Since we all hage a mind we must all be brilliant...therefor we just supported logicaly the fact that trolls are brilliance squared :shrug:

Logic is a beautiful thing to waste with screwy thinking.

Almost all the work our mind does is unconscious, and our conscious mind only takes up a small part of our brain.

And we now know that the unconscious mind makes the decisions and the conscious mind only becomes aware of the decisions later, but thinks it is making the decision.

So it seems obvious we need to learn how to nourish our unconscious, if we wish to live a happy and loving life.

Mole

Permabanned
You have openly admitted to me, publically, several times as well as to others that you are not here to make friends or add value and improve the forum, but to sow discord and do not intend to get along. You don't even believe in MBTI and see it as a big problem. That is, by definition, a troll. The lady doth often protest too much on these matters. Totenkindly isn't wrong.

For the sake of this though, you aren't doing anything obviously against the rules, so have at it. Don't expect others not to push back though.

I have never admitted to you publicly or privately several times as well as to others that I am not here to make friends or add value and improve the forum, but to sow discord and do not intend to get along.

Quite the opposite. After 18,000 posts I have made a contribution to the forum second to none. I add intellectual value to the forum, I add moral value to the forum, I add perspective to the forum, and unlike you I don't attack individuals.

And what the members may not know is that you have been obsessed with attacking me personally since your arrived. And you have no qualms about joining with others to attack me personally, and avoid my ideas.

It would be interesting to analyse, evaluate, and integrate your obsession with me personally, but we don't provide therapy on Typology Central.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I think trolls provide a useful social function particularly for adolescents. And the fact that we focus on how annoying they are, only shows how successful they are. The annoyance is called misdirection, and directs our attention away from the social function of trolling.
One should be conscientious about the way he spends his time and the enterprise on which he's focusing his energy. If something reveals itself to be calumnious, a hoax, or a juvenile attempt to deviate one's focus towards mephitic hokum, one should be able to not feed the unproductive pendulum, for he will make it bigger more and more.

A stubborn jester being a fool, without anybody to stand still and focus his attention on his unsightly display of stupidity, has only some time before realizing that no one gives a damn.
Sadly, many find joy in discussing hoaxes, celebrities, repetitive political stunts and other inanities. No wonder the trolls you describe have an environment in which they can thrive.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Isn't trolling against the rules? For what it's worth, while I initially found him offputting, I've come to enjoy @Mole. I admit to not fully understanding him, but he is a unique personality. Moreover, he has actually made interesting points.