• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Using opposite gender avatars

erg

MBTI Type
None
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why is it that some people choose to do this?

á´…eparted

passages
Ask them. You're not going to find a blanket answer.

I am male but I have used exclusively female avatars simply because they represent things I deeply connect to and resonate with. It's kind of just incidental really.

I change my avatar a lot, but to me it doesn't matter what gender the person is as long as I like who it is. It probably confuses people but :shrug:.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The only pattern I've noticed for women at least is that "T" women seem a little more likely to use male avatars than "F". It could even be somewhat subconscious because people assume greater rationality from men than women, even when the reverse is taking place. You can get positive gender bias by using a male avatar as a woman.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only pattern I've noticed for women at least is that "T" women seem a little more likely to use male avatars than "F". It could even be somewhat subconscious because people assume greater rationality from men than women, even when the reverse is taking place. You can get positive gender bias by using a male avatar as a woman.

It's kind of funny because I tend to avoid too much "F-like female" avatars (like fairies and similar) even if occasionally I like them because -- along with any disparity between avatar and identity -- I feel I won't be taken as seriously.

But no... no identification with male avs really, despite perceived social advantages.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's kind of funny because I tend to avoid too much "F-like female" avatars (like fairies and similar) even if occasionally I like them because -- along with any disparity between avatar and identity -- I feel I won't be taken as seriously.

But no... no identification with male avs really, despite perceived social advantages.
It's funny because even though I know about impressions, I still don't choose avatars for the purpose of impression. I know the one I have now does not present rationality, but it's so funny to me, that it's worth the price. I end up choosing the avatar based on how much it amuses or interests me, rather than the social consequences of it.

If there is any social motivation (albeit an insignificant amount) then it would be something like the following. In some ways I actually like starting with lower expectations, so that it is more of a challenge to prove my point, or even give an implicit reminder that assumptions aren't everything. I probably do tend to do that in real life as well. I let people underestimate me, almost to teach them a lesson, although I end up being too tired, distracted, or fed up to follow through with the lesson part. It also has to do with wanting to be exactly who I am, and not being pressured to pretend something to gain respect.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really don't know why I seem to have ended up with my Mifune avi.

The only explanation that's immediately coming to mind is there was a member here ( [MENTION=2701]Tallulah[/MENTION] ) who had an avi of Catherine Deneuve in the process of removing her sunglasses, and her subject line read "...And you are?" It never stopped being funny to me, every time she posted. It was kind of like having someone take off their glasses to look at you (in that cliche way) when they responded. I think that's why having Mifune in the process of removing his pipe appealed to me as an avi. (I realize he's not in the process of removing his pipe here- I lost the original avi picture, and settled for this when I couldn't find it.) So mostly it was an incidental choice to copy Tallulah, and it just kinda stuck.

Before this I think I mostly relied on abstract-ish black and white photos of plants, or something. I mean, there's some reason I don't use female avis. But I don't know how to explain it other than to say it's the same reason I don't slap on a bunch of blue eyeshadow and walk out the door wearing a bunch of doilies every morning. I'm not that girl. I'd have to search long and hard to find a picture of a female that doesn't seem too doily-ish for me (especially one that fits the 'taking off glasses'/'smoking pipe' effect), and it isn't worth it to me. I'm just, happy with my Mifune.

Eta disclaimer: and I don't mean to be offensive. If someone relates to Doily Power, no matter what gender, they should feel free to fly that flag. It's just not me. Most images of women are just way too doily-ish for me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's funny because even though I know about impressions, I still don't choose avatars for the purpose of impression. I know the one I have now does not present rationality, but it's so funny to me, that it's worth the price. I end up choosing the avatar based on how much it amuses or interests me, rather than the social consequences of it.

Typically I have to identify with it in some way. Otherwise I change it out in a few days max. If it means something beyond that, all the better.

I like stabby badass unicorns on their own.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why not? It's an avatar.

I put them because partially I feel androgynous if my gender is not female. Also I respect the people I put on and like them a lot. It's like I want to have their energy. It's more for me than it is for anyone. If I wanted to coax people do you think I'd stick with the avatars I've been using? :laugh:

Also authenticiity is one of my more higher values.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why would I limit my avatar choices based on gender? I just use what I like. Characters or pretty things.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I dont think there is any deep reason behind using a avatar that is a diffrent gender to you. You may just admire this person/character, they reflect a certain trait about yourself e.t.c.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People choose avatars that contrast with who they are in numerous different ways. Gender is just one of them.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My avatars change based on suggestions by forum members. If it's male, who cares, if it's cool and someone took the time to think of me enough to suggest it to me, I'll take it. :)

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Why is it that some people choose to do this?

Because I find so many images of women are overtly sexual and I'm not into that. Sexualized dudes on the other hand....do not exist ( unless very over the top and ridiculous ) that is why mine is a fish. I don't know it's gender.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I find it amusing when a person uses an opposite gender avatar then gets pissed when people assume they are the gender of the avatar.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I change my avatar quite a lot, sometimes I use male figures as my avi simply because I like them, they don't say or show anything about my sexual identification or anything gender related. I like a band so I make their singer my avi, I like a picture so I make it my avi...the end.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
I change my avatar a lot, but to me it doesn't matter what gender the person is as long as I like who it is. It probably confuses people but :shrug:.

They're all people in art rock or prog rock aren't they?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I once was accused of being a male member for having an aggressively feminine avatar... and I'm a woman :unsure:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
because they can. that's why most people do anything, there's often more of a reason but being able to defiently plays a part in it. i don't pick my own avatars so if someone gave me a burly manly man to use i would until someone else gave me another one.