• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Using opposite gender avatars

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ive been mistaken as a guy on here... a number of times. Less frequently now since Ive been here for a while and lots of my avatars have recently spawned sparkles and glitter and stuff.

I have a hard time with avatars. I dont really think about them as male or female I guess- just- does it fit for now or doesnt it?

Anyways...

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I generally choose avis of fictional characters that match my personality so in other words trollish and mischievous personality like Bugs and Cheshire Cat. I prefer male characters as I feel wierd having a female avi

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The OP distinctly addressed me as "Sir" in a thread when using my current avatar.

If I remember correctly, way back when, I thought you were a guy as well for some time.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The OP distinctly addressed me as "Sir" in a thread when using my current avatar.
From time to time I see members address members as "dude" when they know quite well they are female. I'm used to "guys" as a gender-neutral form of address, but hadn't seen "dude" cross that line yet.

Starry

If I remember correctly, way back when, I thought you were a guy as well for some time.

Was it due to me using an opposite gender avatar? Because I did for a significant period of time which would include the time I last remember you being active. Or is it because I can come across as pushy/aggressive? Or is it because of my **obviously high IQ and superior reasoning abilities**

^^That may seem like a loaded question but I hope you can trust me when I say I take it as a compliment and appreciate you sharing this with me because this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say this about me (while I can't be certain I got the sense at the time that the OP didn't actually believe I was a male member but rather was attempting to insult me because I remember thinking "should I thank him?").

In the past I did all kinds of "experiments" using different avatars and MBTIs and while you and I both know how unscientific this is...trying to be as unbiased as I possibly could I noticed:

I was taken more seriously when using male avatars (passed-over less, ignored less, questioned less like say in the political forum)
I was taken WAY less seriously when listing ENFP as my type
I was taken more seriously when listing INFJ as my type or no type at all...

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
From time to time I see members address members as "dude" when they know quite well they are female. I'm used to "guys" as a gender-neutral form of address, but hadn't seen "dude" cross that line yet.

Really? I've grown up with both dude and guys being used interchangeably.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Was it due to me using an opposite gender avatar? Because I did for a significant period of time which would include the time I last remember you being active. Or is it because I can come across as pushy/aggressive? Or is it because of my **obviously high IQ and superior reasoning abilities**

^^That may seem like a loaded question but I hope you can trust me when I say I take it as a compliment and appreciate you sharing this with me because this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say this about me (while I can't be certain I got the sense at the time that the OP didn't actually believe I was a male member but rather was attempting to insult me because I remember thinking "should I thank him?").

In the past I did all kinds of "experiments" using different avatars and MBTIs and while you and I both know how unscientific this is...trying to be as unbiased as I possibly could I noticed:

I was taken more seriously when using male avatars (passed-over less, ignored less, questioned less like say in the political forum)

Honestly, I can't remember the actual reason, but if you have used male gendered avatars in the past that was probably it. ;)

I've never experienced anyone on this forum as pushy/aggresive either really. I tend to be the agressor myself, as long as I am interested in the subject and I'm out faster than the speed of light when I lose my interest.

Even I adjust my level of interaction based on other peoples types. For example with ENTP's I know I can just go all the way, they'll probably entertain me. I am definately more careful with wording and level of presence when it comes to NF's. Especially INFJ's. As you might be aware, I tend to go to extremes sometimes purely in jest. If there is any type likely to see a bit too much in that, it can be INFJ's.

Interesting stuff.

Or is it because of my **obviously high IQ and superior reasoning abilities**

Welcome to the club, where everything we say is paramount. Naturally! *high five*

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a great opportunity. For the ones who have always dreamt of belonging to the opposite sex, THE dream finally comes true on Typology Central.

:wizfreak:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's a great opportunity. For the ones who have always dreamt of belonging to the opposite sex, THE dream finally comes true on Typology Central.

:wizfreak:

until you tell them who you really are. :unsure:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
rick-ross-man-boobs.jpg

this was my first avatar, i chose it bc it made me feel joy. but everyone hated it so i changed it due to peer pressure.

Enneagram
9w1
My avatar is meant to represent my ego, and usually it's a female because that's what I idealize myself as. Maybe that's me being an enneagram 4 ;p I tend to hallucinate things about myself because that's just what I like... maybe has something to do with triple withdrawn (495)

I also tend to unconsciously change how i see myself based on how others see me and behave... so I might make my forum avatar more representative of how people see me on that specific forum

edit: current avatar is irrelevant and im just lazy and havent changed it to something yet

Litsnob

I don't think dude would bother me at all, though I might not immediately realise I was being addressed if dude were used.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Dude is quite the Cali word. In my nick of the woods (SoCal) it's not uncommon for females to refer to other females as dudes. This has been going on for years. *resists urge to use dude at end of sentence*

An old reddit discussing the topic with the first comment quoted. Does a guy calling a girl "dude" put her right into his friendzone? : AskMen

the_oogie_boogie_manMale 18 points 2 years ago
"It depends on the guy? I call everyone dude. SO, Mom, friends. Everyone is dude."

Why Guys Call Girls Dude - What It Means When A Guy Calls A Girl Dude Dara Adeeyo is in the greater New York (cultural lag from California) area and this article is from 2012. She writes for Elle, Teen Vogue, Harpers, etc. etc.

"...But does being called "dude" really mean you're just one of the guys? Or is it just a word that's another term of endearment? There are a lot of terms of endearment I'm a fan of; hun, sweetie, baby, girl, and my fave, boo/boo boo. But is dude one of them? Meh...not so much.

Personally, I'm one of those girls who uses dude selectively when talking to girlfriends or guy friends. Dude, it's just a word. But I'm curious as to whyyy guys do this."

erg

MBTI Type
None
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This forum confuses me. Regardless, you do vibe male-ish and you don't have your gender set in your profile.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Dude is quite the Cali word. In my nick of the woods (SoCal) it's not uncommon for females to refer to other females as dudes. This has been going on for years. *resists urge to use dude at end of sentence*

An old reddit discussing the topic with the first comment quoted. Does a guy calling a girl "dude" put her right into his friendzone? : AskMen

the_oogie_boogie_manMale 18 points 2 years ago
"It depends on the guy? I call everyone dude. SO, Mom, friends. Everyone is dude."

Why Guys Call Girls Dude - What It Means When A Guy Calls A Girl Dude Dara Adeeyo is in the greater New York (cultural lag from California) area and this article is from 2012. She writes for Elle, Teen Vogue, Harpers, etc. etc.

"...But does being called "dude" really mean you're just one of the guys? Or is it just a word that's another term of endearment? There are a lot of terms of endearment I'm a fan of; hun, sweetie, baby, girl, and my fave, boo/boo boo. But is dude one of them? Meh...not so much.

Personally, I'm one of those girls who uses dude selectively when talking to girlfriends or guy friends. Dude, it's just a word. But I'm curious as to whyyy guys do this."

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To confuse you all and smash gender with a hammer, of course

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My bike is a man. See the tires? It's how you tell.

I fell for it. You definitely showed me how I thought you were a man, with those big tyres of yours. But seriously I was really surprised to find out your were not man. My view of the world exploded.