• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Narcissism, Taboo and Disgust.

Mole

Permabanned
Narcissism is truly disgusting. It is like someone who is not toilet trained saying to us, look what I have done.

We feel disgust when a taboo is broken, and we feel disgust at the display of narcissism, just as we feel disgust at those who have not been toilet trained.

And those who display their narcissism so openly, break a social taboo, and so we feel disgust, unless we ourselves are narcissistic.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I trust that the universe is a perfectly ordered mechanism. When a person finds themselves in narcissistic qualities, that is 'exactly' where they need to be, to work through that process and cycle, to see for themselves the lack of growth and fulfilment. Perhaps you are too impatient.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
you know you're busy calling everyone else the narcissist maybe you're the narcissist. and your vision is reversed so everything you think about us is about you and everything you think about you is about us.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why would I feel disgust at a baby who hasn't been toilet trained? I'd have to be disgusted by all babies then, which seems rather... dickish.

S16M4

Permabanned
Psychological Projection
psy·cho·log·i·cal pro·jec·tion
adj. n.
Definition:
you know you're busy calling everyone else the narcissist maybe you're the narcissist. and your vision is reversed so everything you think about us is about you and everything you think about you is about us.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Err.. Narcissistic people can also do great things, not just crap; that is independent of their self-love. Anyway, it's up to you to go see or ignore the diaper (i.e.: whatever they want you to see).

Also, there are two types of taboo: the thing that you think it's bad to talk about, and the thing you understand others think it's bad to talk about. I feel no disgust when people break taboos. In fact it makes me happy.

I also don't think open narcissism is breaking a taboo, it's more normal and acceptable than any other thing. We have entire channels on tv making profit from others' narcissism.

And I think the last sentence is faulty: other narcissists would feel disgust of others' public displays of narcissism because they'd want all the attention for themselves. The rest of the people would just ignore them.

Mole

Permabanned
I follow the developmental view of psychology such that each of us passes through developmental milestones.

So our maturity depends on successfully completing each milestone. And to the extent we fail to complete a milestone, is the extent we are immature.

And the most mature parents help their child complete their life tasks.

This means we can have a normative view of psychological development.

And this normative view is resisted by those who have failed to complete some life tasks.

Mole

Permabanned
Totum and Taboo

Err.. Narcissistic people can also do great things, not just crap; that is independent of their self-love. Anyway, it's up to you to go see or ignore the diaper (i.e.: whatever they want you to see).

Also, there are two types of taboo: the thing that you think it's bad to talk about, and the thing you understand others think it's bad to talk about. I feel no disgust when people break taboos. In fact it makes me happy.

I also don't think open narcissism is breaking a taboo, it's more normal and acceptable than any other thing. We have entire channels on tv making profit from others' narcissism.

And I think the last sentence is faulty: other narcissists would feel disgust of others' public displays of narcissism because they'd want all the attention for themselves. The rest of the people would just ignore them.

In his book Totum and Taboo Sigmund Freud discusses the resemblance between the mental lives of savages and neurotics.

And as we have our fair share of neurotics, the mental lives of savages throws light on our own psyches.

We can hear Totum and Taboo by clicking on Totem and Taboo by Sigmund Freud Full Audio Book - YouTube