User Tag List

12 Last

Default Narcissism thread

I've become increasingly interested in a lot of the behaviours which combined together are considered to be NPD, ie Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and thought I might create a single thread to put links and material in that I'd found and which other people could add content and thought to aswell.

Are You a Narcissist? Here Are 11 Things You Should Ask Yourself.
    Likes Sung Jin-Woo liked this post

Bet there's correlation between narcissism and libertarianism.
    Likes Yuurei liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

The term has been used so much in popular psychology that the category has become a bit confusing. The link you provided was hard for me to read because of popup adds and I couldn't see the list of 11 things. I have found that oftentimes those lists will tend to be traits that most people have, so it can make the article more tantalizing. There are a lot of selfish people in the world for sure who don't feel much guilt. Probably most people have felt like they have been personally involved with someone so self-centered as to seem like they have NPD. Who knows, maybe.

One issue with personality disorders is the relationship between the Self and Other. That is the part that is out of balance. For example, if someone has tons of self-confidence and wants to be rich and famous, but they are happy for others who achieve it, they may just be extremely confident, but not at all personality disordered. If the person will destroy anyone who gets in the way of anything they feel entitled to and never feels remorse, then maybe that person does have a disorder.

I'll try to come back and post links for something more substantial.
    bunny omi

Likes Legion liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenetta View Post
    The term has been used so much in popular psychology that the category has become a bit confusing. The link you provided was hard for me to read because of popup adds and I couldn't see the list of 11 things. I have found that oftentimes those lists will tend to be traits that most people have, so it can make the article more tantalizing. There are a lot of selfish people in the world for sure who don't feel much guilt. Probably most people have felt like they have been personally involved with someone so self-centered as to seem like they have NPD. Who knows, maybe.

One issue with personality disorders is the relationship between the Self and Other. That is the part that is out of balance. For example, if someone has tons of self-confidence and wants to be rich and famous, but they are happy for others who achieve it, they may just be extremely confident, but not at all personality disordered. If the person will destroy anyone who gets in the way of anything they feel entitled to and never feels remorse, then maybe that person does have a disorder.

Yeah, I dont think narcissistic traits and selfishness are the same as NPD.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, I dont think narcissistic traits and selfishness are the same as NPD.
    I think NPD traits are just products of repressed empathy, which affects everyone- only with different degrees of severity. I think an NPD diagnosis is just on the far end of that scale.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

There's no I in narcissism. Wait a minute...
    ✦ᏖᏒᎥᎮ ค ℓιɬɬℓɛ Ꮭıɠɧɬ ʄคŋɬคʂɬıƈ✦ -: ✦ :- ƒ O ᖇ G E ᗪ I ᑎ ƒ I ᖇ E ❋-: ✦ :-★ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜰᴇᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴇʟꜱ★
    * ・゚ ・゚ * ⊱9w1✶S✶2w1✶X✶5w6⊰ * ・゚ ・゚ *
    ✦Շђєяє คяє ๓σяє тнιηﻭѕ ιη нєανєη αη∂ єαятн Շђαη คяє ∂яєαмт σƒ ιη уσυя ρнιℓσѕσρну.✦

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

The relationship between the NPD self and others is that others are only an extension of the self (like a prop or a mirror), and that's if the other is "lucky".

And I totally agree that it's become trendy to say "ugh, my ex is a narcissist". I stopped reading articles and stories about people's personal experience with it because most of them were trendy and as such, invalidating to my experience, which I can only explain as "a strategic destruction of my sense of self". In other words, a legitimate living hell, of which I still bear some scars.

The trendiness is also a big part of why whenever I talk about it, I no longer go into much detail. I'd rather keep it all in than have people conclude I'm dramatizing my experiences to be "cool" and get attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    There's no I in narcissism. Wait a minute...
    No, no... you got it wrong; there's two i's but no u's.
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Likes Luminous, Ravenetta liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    The relationship between the NPD self and others is that others are only an extension of the self (like a prop or a mirror), and that's if the other is "lucky". And I totally agree that it's become trendy to say "ugh, my ex is a narcissist". I stopped reading articles and stories about people's personal experience with it because most of them were trendy and as such, invalidating to my experience, which I can only explain as "a strategic destruction of my sense of self". In other words, a legitimate living hell, of which I still bear some scars. The trendiness is also a big part of why whenever I talk about it, I no longer go into much detail. I'd rather keep it all in than have people conclude I'm dramatizing my experiences to be "cool" and get attention.
    I know that you have been through extremely difficult experiences.

I also have a ind of personal ethic to not dismiss the pain of others. There's a cost/benefit question I ask myself. If a person says they have terrible pain and it's an exaggeration or a lie and I believe them, the worst that can happen is that I'm a bit foolish and gullible. That isn't much of a cost to me because I don't care if I'm those things. If they have suffered and I do dismiss it then I've done something quite cruel. That is a cost I'm unwilling to pay.
    Also I realize that I never have complete information about another person so their word about their life always carries more weight than my opinion. Some of these ideas come from reading Carl Rogers and also from trying to process the enormous lies I've been told in my life that did affect my life but were still the result of pain in the other person. I had to figure out how to be at peace with myself in that world.
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I know that you have been through extremely difficult experiences.

I also have a ind of personal ethic to not dismiss the pain of others. There's a cost/benefit question I ask myself. If a person says they have terrible pain and it's an exaggeration or a lie and I believe them, the worst that can happen is that I'm a bit foolish and gullible. That isn't much of a cost to me because I don't care if I'm those things. If they have suffered and I do dismiss it then I've done something quite cruel. That is a cost I'm unwilling to pay.
    Also I realize that I never have complete information about another person so their word about their life always carries more weight than my opinion. Some of these ideas come from reading Carl Rogers and also from trying to process the enormous lies I've been told in my life that did affect my life but were still the result of pain in the other person. I had to figure out how to be at peace with myself in that world.
    This is actually my exact reasoning behind giving to panhandlers. I've tried to explain it to others before, but you put it so eloquently. If I have been fooled and lose out on money or time, what have I actually lost? Certainly not my integrity. If they spend it on alcohol or drugs, or if they are actually just playing the part of someone in need when they are in fact not, then it doesn't reflect poorly on me for doing something thoughtful of another (and I tend to not judge those suffering from addiction as it is).
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Likes Ravenetta liked this post