User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE None

Default Type Four and Body Image: Are we waifish?

(Disclaimer: My post is not meant to cause offense. I’m just stating my observations.)

I don’t believe I’m extremly tiny, but people tell me all the time that I’m going to “blow away in the wind” and that there’s “nothing to me”. My BMI is around 19-20, and although I live in an image-conscious city (in NorCal), what I tend to see most is skinny-shaming anyone who is either short or slender or both, as in, certain sizes are deemed to be less acceptable (0,2) if you’re over a certain age regardless of height and build. For some reason, my family members, and even strangers and friends, think it’s okay to tell me to put on weight because of my size or because “women look better with more weight on them.” When I was a teenager, and still living with my parents, my mother would point out people who were around size 4s and size 6s and tell me that they looked better than me, or that a “fuller face is always more attractive.”

I have a theory that once a type 4 takes in body image and health and size into the image that fits within their ideals, they will work hard to maintain it unless the ideal, for whatever reason, changes. I understand that body weight is not an enneagram type, but I can’t help but wonder if:

1. Type Fours tend to be image and health conscious than the average population

2. No matter how overweight we are, we will still appear tinier than people of the same stats.

I also have noticed that with myself, as a type Four, I’m very prone to judging people who don’t share my ideals in terms of fitness or body size. For instance, I’m learning that just because I value looking a certain way, it does not mean that everyone else will. Still, deep down, I don’t believe it’s okay for anyone to get fat.

Any type Fours out there who have noticed similar trends? @OrangeAppled
    “I touch people. I think everyone needs that.”

“I don’t go by the rule-book. I lead from the heart, not the head.”

“I think the biggest disease the world suffers in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month. I’m very happy to do that. I want to do that.”

“I wear my heart on my sleeve.”

ENFP, 4w5, SX/SO. SLUEI. Unstructured.
    Likes OrangeAppled, Froody Blue Gem liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp

I’m gonna go with: genetics and environment for 600, Alex.

Post Human Post
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yeahh, no, there's no phenotype/dietary correlation. Not my my 4 experience. I've got a few 4s in my life, they're of somewhat average body type.
    ▵▵▵
    Likes Froody Blue Gem liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

For most of my life I was a small four; I've gained a lot of weight in the last few years unfortunately.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I'm not a core 4, but i've got a 4 wing, 4 fix, and oodles of 4 drives. Eh... my appearance is the opposite of that, average-short height but I'm kind of bigger built let's just say. And my metabolism doesn't help and that I love food too much.

I am very image-conscious though and when I get my exercise in, I think to myself what I want to look like. I don't like clothes shopping because I don't like the way that I look and I have to focus on my body in certain clothes which I despise. If I see nice things, I enjoy it but if it's an unsuccessful trip, not so much. I also get wrapped up a lot in comparing the way I look to how other people look, and worrying about not looking good "so and so looks better than me."
    9w1 5w4 2w3 sp/so

I couldn't Understand how you could be so bold.
    Maybe I'll find myself smiling on that distant shore...
    Maybe I'm not alone.

Melancholic-Phlegmatic
    O- High C- Average E- Extremely Hilariously Low A- Extremely High N-Medium High

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I am body image conscious, and overweight.
    Masculine republics, give way to feminine democracies. Feminine democracies, give way to tyranny.
    - Aristotle
    Likes tony_goth, Froody Blue Gem liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Before I started taking medication that causes weight gain, I weighed 118 pounds at 5'7'' as an adult male. Right now, I'm in the average weight range, which, given my history of being very thin, feels like being massively overweight.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I've noticed more of a trend with skinny head types, especially sixes and fives. They think so much that it burns calories. Seriously! They're anxious and tightly wound, so just sitting in place they're all tense. Their legs are rapidly moving up and down, their eyes looking about... and it shows in their bodies. Fours are heart types with a line to 2... in older age, the emotional hearty nature catches up. Although, 4w5 obviously will be more disembodied and likely smaller.

As for health conscious and judging people who let themselves go? Well, I can't deny it. I don't usually go around judging people, because I'm too self absorbed and I only really give thought to the people I care to think about. But someone who just gives no shits about how they come off, it's a big turn off and a sign that they're not from my planet.
    Likes Boogie man, ThisName liked this post

Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    :(: None

I don't think it's healthy or a good idea to start attaching 'body types' to enneagram types. Why would they have anything to do with each other? Okay, maybe some people from x type like physical stuff more, working out and that kind of stuff but I don't know. It doesn't feel right to me.

But yes, I happen to be a four and I am underweight and 'muscular'.
    I am conscious about my health but what's more than average? I don't know how much time other people spend on their health. When I am in a bad mental place I will become more interested in health to search for signs if this will finally be my end. :') I know what's good and what's not, depending on my mood I might do the complete opposite of what I am supposed to do. So I guess in my case it's knowledge vs consciousness.
    I know that drinking 2L of Ice Tea is bad. Does that stop me? Nah.

I (usually) don't judge people for their looks. (Yeah okay, if someone has greasy hair and it's almost in my face, I won't like that no. But for body image, I don't care that much) Probably because I am kind of self-absorbed and occupied in my 'own world'. I never understood the question; "When you are walking down the street and you see x person, what do you think?" Am I supposed to fucking think or what? Oh crap. Just stop assuming that I would think something about x person. It's so annoying and there are more fun things to think about.
    It's none of my business how other people try to take care of their body or what they look like.

I know what I want to look like and that's what matters. Though I might become jealous from time to time when I see another muscular girl. I want to be like them. And to be the only skinny muscular person in the room, because that's what used to give me attention. Don't take away my source of attention, that's rude.

What I've noticed (from myself) is that when I become less healthy (mentally) is that I will 'praise' myself for being underweight. That even when the world is burning down, when everything is crumbling at my feet, at least I still have my muscles and my unhealthy weight (though it's not that unhealthy since it's never given me any health issues). Even though I know deep down, that my muscles are actually not that great as I try to make myself believe sometimes. They could look better if I started working out more often.
    Focussing on my body distracts me from the fact that it feels as if everything around me is crashing down. Because I can still in some way control my body and what it looks like, or I use it as a confirmation of how bad everything's actually going, and that it's visible, not only in my head. (Though I really don't have the persistence to maintain a certain lifestyle/diet or whatever. I guess that works in my favor too.)

This is also why I think that it's not a good idea to start idealizing body types or how slim someone is (based on their type). I think it's pretty toxic actually. Or it is at least to me. Every time I receive a comment about 'how skinny' I am it motivates me to loose more weight (but as I wrote earlier, I am not persistent. I will say that from now on I will only eat once a day and the next day I've already forgotten about it). And that's not something to be proud of, really. Though I sometimes am.
    “I can’t explain what I mean. And even if I could, I’m not sure I’d feel like it.”

- J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so

The only body type I'd fit is my gut type and there is no way that is my core.

It would be as varied as there are variations of people of the same ethnic groups who even have similar diets.
    No personality trait (or type) dictates body type.
    TOLL THE DEAD!
    A cleric who acts like a rogue whose patron might as well be a warlock's
    and whose proficiency spread resembles a wizard's.