• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] Whats my core type? (8, 4, or 5)

rav3n

I like you, but I don't think this kind of response is ever helpful and it certainly paints 6s in a harsh light.

I've gotten these responses soooooo many times here and it's super frustrating because half the time they come out of nowhere, and there is literally nothing you can say to convince the other that you aren't acting 6-ish at all.

Everyone and their mother called me a CP6 when I first came here, and it caused me identity related anger because I didn't know my shit enough to present my case, but I knew I was a 4 in my sensitive angry little heart, lol.
Curiously enough, you never struck me as a CP6 but Yamimura exhibits heavy CP6 behavior.

Lib

Permabanned
Focus on the difference between preferences and behaviors (what one would like to do vs. what one actually does), and consider what one would prefer under minimal/negligible constraints. As a trivial example, consider the question that often appears on these quizzes: "If the phone rings, do you hurry to answer, or wait and hope someone else does?" My real preference is never to answer the phone, but if I am the office receptionist, or even a single mother of young kids, my actual habit/behavior will be to hurry to answer because I see it as my responsibility given the circumstances. This is why people often get inaccurate results when taking type tests at work, because they answer in their "work persona".
You said, 'what one would prefer under minimal/negligible constraints', but I have no preferences. In fact, I manifest more preferences when under stress, even though it's still rather unpredictable. But may be I fool myself. Do you see a pattern in my behavior that you would bet on? You don't need to describe it.

There's a pretty interesting phenomenon. I noticed that even the members I'm presumably duping have markedly different personalities and points of view.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You said, 'what one would prefer under minimal/negligible constraints', but I have no preferences. In fact, I manifest more preferences when under stress, even though it's still rather unpredictable. But may be I fool myself. Do you see a pattern in my behavior that you would bet on? You don't need to describe it.

There's a pretty interesting phenomenon. I noticed that even the members I'm presumably duping have markedly different personalities and points of view.

I have had several people assume I was a dupe as well. Simply based on political opinions, but none of them shared mbti types with me.

Lib

Permabanned
I have had several people assume I was a dupe as well. Simply based on political opinions, but none of them shared mbti types with me.
Yeah, this says more about the members than about yourself. Imagine how important one must feel to expect banned members to return to the same annoying bs. And many new members are welcomed with the sudden accusations of being the dupe of someone, which keeps intelligent people away. I put all the garbage in my ignore list. They are as good as dead as far as I'm concerned :D

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Yeah, this says more about the members than about yourself. Imagine how important one must feel to expect banned members to return to the same annoying bs. And many new members are welcomed with the sudden accusations of being the dupe of someone, which keeps intelligent people away. I put all the garbage in my ignore list. They are as good as dead as far as I'm concerned :D

This happens all the time. The evidence is in the Banned and the Damned thread.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have said before, that I do not just rely on tests. It is just a starting point. I do in fact, read a lot. I just don't care to grab a book on it. Plenty of stuff online that is easier to digest. I am well aware of my "learned" behaviors, which is ironically probably making me appear as a different type. Because I learned to socialize using a logical approach that I experimented with over the last few years. Things like patience, being forgiving and accepting, being silly and not taking things too seriously is all learned behavior because I wanted to learn to act that way.

Learned behavior can make someone appear different. I come across as if I'm an Enneagram 9 in many situations when in reality my natural state of being is actually a phobic 6.

I also have learned to acquire a sense of introversion in my behavior as well, but when you peel back the layers it's just my extroverted intuition has learned to love operating in isolation. If I am by myself looking through books in a library, I may be alone and in my head but I'm outwardly focused and engaging with the material and facts I find. Then again, the dominant function is hard for anyone to shut off. Or at least that's what I've read.

As for the whole "appearing to be another type" matter. We all probably seem like other types sometimes.

I could see you as an introverted thinker since the manner in which you describe your viewpoint appears similar to the Ti process as I know it. So, I can see where someone might think ISTP would be a reasonable option. However, I haven't seen any evidence of Se from you, which calls that typing into question. You do strike me as an IxTx type, though the one of those 4 that doesn't fit is ISTJ in my opinion.

Also, I agree that typing can not be done based on political preferences. Unless we want to attribute my indecisiveness on many issues and my blatant refusal to take a side as Ne being flighty. But it's not that, I think it actually derived from my 6 skepticism. And people often expect 6s to be adherents to ideologies instead of someone who is skeptical of pretty much all of them. Type manifests differently in different people. I grew up in a household where people of all political affiliations were criticized and I started to pick up on things like double standards as I got older.

Of course, people are going to stereotype even though I can point to exceptions. An ISTJ friend of mine doesn't like talking about politics, but I've known him long enough to know that he surely isn't going to align himself with the Republicans. Though part of that is probably because he is transgender and social conservatives are known for not being transgender friendly (some are, but a large enough number of them seem not to be).

The rule in my mind is that an individual is the best person to figure out their type. It takes awhile sometimes though.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Curiously enough, you never struck me as a CP6 but Yamimura exhibits heavy CP6 behavior.
Yamimura doesn't exactly strike me as a 6. My gut feeling says 5 actually. I don't claim to be an expert though.

Still, sometimes people will interpret others however they want. Sometimes the results can seem strange. I've honestly been baffled when people have thought I was a 4. Albeit, 4 is the last in my tritype and I use Fi, but nothing about the 4 description feels like it fits the way someone would expect a core type too. Albeit, the 6 descriptions are sometimes off for me too, but I've just figured out how my own 6 tendencies manifest differently. I also read a description of a sp/so 6 once, and I just thought "That's spot on..."

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I cannot see much real behavior from you by interacting online. This is much easier to see in RL, and of course people answering type tests have their entire life to consider as they do. We can often get to our real preferences by asking "why"? Why does Gail always hurry to answer the phone? "It's her job" says something quite different than, "She's hoping it's one of her friends calling for a friendly chat." Why does Mark keep his room so neat? "It makes him anxious to be in a messy setting" is quite different from "His mom will beat him if his room is a mess."

You may feel more compelled to act on a preference under stress, but the underlying preferences are always there.

Your political opinions were at most a minor factor. Not everyone puts as much stock in that as you. Most of us can actually separate what someone thinks from how someone acts.

Yeah, this says more about the members than about yourself. Imagine how important one must feel to expect banned members to return to the same annoying bs.
The fact that some banned members do return using dupe accounts - sometimes repeatedly - is one of many behaviors here that defy logic. Since some of these folks have been quite vocal in their dislike of the forum, it would seem more reasonable for them to put the place behind them and seek greener pastures. But then I suppose it is just another way for the idle and unchallenged to troll.

Lib

Permabanned
I cannot see much real behavior from you by interacting online. This is much easier to see in RL, and of course people answering type tests have their entire life to consider as they do. We can often get to our real preferences by asking "why"? Why does Gail always hurry to answer the phone? "It's her job" says something quite different than, "She's hoping it's one of her friends calling for a friendly chat." Why does Mark keep his room so neat? "It makes him anxious to be in a messy setting" is quite different from "His mom will beat him if his room is a mess."

You may feel more compelled to act on a preference under stress, but the underlying preferences are always there.
Oh, my behavior here is very real (excluding a few random posts that were meant simply as jokes, but no one seemed to get it). You'll be much more confused with me irl when you see how I look, and hear me talking.

Thank you for the clarification but going through your examples, not sure I could use anything similar in my case. Being a pronounced workaholic, I also had periods where talking to a friend would be my most preferred activity. One never knows with me. Even in stress I tend to exhibit different behavior. Guess, I'm really fluid, which makes me unknowable.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ive thought about doing one of those typeing interviews...but I dont have a quality camera. I could make a shoddy one.

Anyone know of a good questionair to do for these?

rav3n

Yamimura doesn't exactly strike me as a 6. My gut feeling says 5 actually. I don't claim to be an expert though.

Still, sometimes people will interpret others however they want. Sometimes the results can seem strange. I've honestly been baffled when people have thought I was a 4. Albeit, 4 is the last in my tritype and I use Fi, but nothing about the 4 description feels like it fits the way someone would expect a core type too. Albeit, the 6 descriptions are sometimes off for me too, but I've just figured out how my own 6 tendencies manifest differently. I also read a description of a sp/so 6 once, and I just thought "That's spot on..."
Are you a six or a counterphobic six?

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My gut feeling says that the OP is a 9w8 ISTP. I can spot 6s quickly because they give off a headless chicken vibe to me.

rav3n

My gut feeling says that the OP is a 9w8 ISTP. I can spot 6s quickly because they give off a headless chicken vibe to me.
ISTP is possible. Nine is not.

Type Nine in Brief
Nines are accepting, trusting, and stable. They are usually creative, optimistic, and supportive, but can also be too willing to go along with others to keep the peace. They want everything to go smoothly and be without conflict, but they can also tend to be complacent, simplifying problems and minimizing anything upsetting. They typically have problems with inertia and stubbornness. At their Best: indomitable and all-embracing, they are able to bring people together and heal conflicts.

Basic Fear: Of loss and separation
Basic Desire: To have inner stability "peace of mind"
Enneagram Nine with an Eight-Wing: "The Referee"
Enneagram Nine with a One-Wing: "The Dreamer"
Key Motivations: Want to create harmony in their environment, to avoid conflicts and tension, to preserve things as they are, to resist whatever would upset or disturb them.

Type Nine — The Enneagram Institute

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know you well enough to type you so I can't say why you don't fit the description of enneatype 9 while typing yourself as a 9.

Well because I literally just said it is about the so first 9w1s. I'm a sp first 9w8 and I have so last. I don't care about being peaceful or accepting to people that I don't know.

rav3n

Well because I literally just said it is about the so first 9w1s. I'm a sp first 9w8 and I have so last. I don't care about being peaceful or accepting to people that I don't know.
Sp is a flavor. It's not going to negate the core type's basic desires, fears or completely change the description.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sp is a flavor, It's not going to negate the core type's basic desires, fears or completely change the description.
Yes, I desire peace but i'm not going to be peaceful to random people - if they annoy me. Sp isn't just a flavor, it's the majority of actual 9s. It is no wonder that 9 INFPs often keep thinking they are 4s due to these bland descriptions that sound like ISFJs.