• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Am I a Type 3 or a Type 7?

OneLovelyAdventure

Gryffindor Prefect
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used to struggle with whether I was a 2w3 or a 3w2, and after settling on 3w2 I discovered a new battle: 3w2 or 7w6? (7w8 is also possible, but I'm kind of leaning towards w6.) Which of these sounds more like me?

On the 3 side: Pretty basically, my biggest fear is being worthless or not good enough and having a poor image. Being unfulfilled in my life horrifies me and I often put on the image of someone who is very successful and on top of things. I am very image-conscious and I am very conscious of how I appear at all times. I can be remarkably charming and attractive depending on the situation, and I often put a lot of effort into my appearance, including a strict workout regiment (which even resulted in an eating disorder some years back.) I am incredibly hesitant to share any negative emotions because I want to appear strong and competent and capable and in-control. I have often said that I'd rather be envied than liked. I heavily value my independence and would almost always do a project alone because I know that's the only way to get it done to my standards. I often have mental competitions with people and am often very jealous when other people achieve the success that I would like to achieve or are the center of attention.

On the 7 side: I very frequently have trouble motivating myself to get started if it's something I don't care 100% about. My grades, for instance -- though I care about them, I have serious difficulties getting things done early and often submit a version of my work that may not be up to my capabilities. I believe that "everything will work out the way it is meant to" and am very optimistic. Around my friends and acquaintances, I am among the silliest and least reserved, and I can often be far from the diplomatic typical 3 -- quite the opposite; I am often very blunt and outspoken when something is bothering me. I value happiness in my life. I love food and alcohol and other pleasures like that, and I often allow myself to indulge in them -- however, I always get back on a workout track (for instance) after doing so. Sometimes I don't put effort into my appearance if just going to class or traveling somewhere because I don't feel the need to impress the people I don't really know.

I think the bottom line is that my deepest fears and deepest desires are very 3-like but my habits tend to be 7-like. Which do you think sounds more like me? (If it helps, I know that they are both in my tritype, and my gut type is 8.)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
From what you said it sounds like your fears are more rooted in your image and self-worth, while what you said for type 7 isn't necessarily exclusive to type 7. So I'd go with 2w3/3w2 :D

Rouskyrie

I used to struggle with whether I was a 2w3 or a 3w2, and after settling on 3w2 I discovered a new battle: 3w2 or 7w6? (7w8 is also possible, but I'm kind of leaning towards w6.) Which of these sounds more like me?

On the 3 side: Pretty basically, my biggest fear is being worthless or not good enough and having a poor image. Being unfulfilled in my life horrifies me and I often put on the image of someone who is very successful and on top of things. I am very image-conscious and I am very conscious of how I appear at all times. I can be remarkably charming and attractive depending on the situation, and I often put a lot of effort into my appearance, including a strict workout regiment (which even resulted in an eating disorder some years back.) I am incredibly hesitant to share any negative emotions because I want to appear strong and competent and capable and in-control. I have often said that I'd rather be envied than liked. I heavily value my independence and would almost always do a project alone because I know that's the only way to get it done to my standards. I often have mental competitions with people and am often very jealous when other people achieve the success that I would like to achieve or are the center of attention.

On the 7 side: I very frequently have trouble motivating myself to get started if it's something I don't care 100% about. My grades, for instance -- though I care about them, I have serious difficulties getting things done early and often submit a version of my work that may not be up to my capabilities. I believe that "everything will work out the way it is meant to" and am very optimistic. Around my friends and acquaintances, I am among the silliest and least reserved, and I can often be far from the diplomatic typical 3 -- quite the opposite; I am often very blunt and outspoken when something is bothering me. I value happiness in my life. I love food and alcohol and other pleasures like that, and I often allow myself to indulge in them -- however, I always get back on a workout track (for instance) after doing so. Sometimes I don't put effort into my appearance if just going to class or traveling somewhere because I don't feel the need to impress the people I don't really know.

I think the bottom line is that my deepest fears and deepest desires are very 3-like but my habits tend to be 7-like. Which do you think sounds more like me? (If it helps, I know that they are both in my tritype, and my gut type is 8.)

Based on your post, I would say 3w2 > 7w6.

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Basic fears and motivations take precedence over behaviors in the enneagram model. I'm going with 3 since your fears and motivations are centered on your image.