• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Phantom Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a PT Anderson film, which means I usually have a weird kind of ambivalence -- like, I really like it while not being sure if I can sit through it again. :) I felt that way with The Master, and There Will Be Blood, and so on.. I think Magnolia is the only one I've watched repeatedly. But there is no question the guy is a genius, a distinctive director with his own voice, his films always feel powerful to me and are nothing like anything else I've seen.

(I think the only film of his I did not like much was, weirdly, Punch-Drunk Love. I guess it felt trivial on some level.)

Anyway, here Daniel Day Lewis is just (as always) tremendous in terms of acting, and the female lead playing against him was great -- they were both so stubborn headed (he's fastidious/fussy, she's more bull-headed, but man....) And the sister also sticks out to me as well, such a great character and controlled acting.

I think the only thing that threw me off with this film was the mushroom tangent that ended up becoming the main plot in a sense. ;) I just didn't expect the film to go that way, although once it did, I saw why.... and of course it's a PT Anderson film, it's going to go in a way I don't expect, just as There Will Be Blood ended up in a private bowling alley (out of all things) and that damn milkshake now-meme.

As I said, the music was just one of the best things of the film for me. I need to grab a copy of that soundtrack.