• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Thoughts about Random Books.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
For those thoughts about books with the letters and the pages.

Going through the Stand. And boy does it hit diffterent than it used to.

On chapter 34 rn. Just met Dan.

Boy That Walking Man sure seems familiar.
Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name.​

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For those thoughts about books with the letters and the pages.

Going through the Stand. And boy does it hit diffterent than it used to.

On chapter 34 rn. Just met Dan.

Boy That Walking Man sure seems familiar.
Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name.​
Other than a short story or two, I haven't read any King. I have been tempted to start with either It or the Dark Tower for quite some time; but probably It because that's essentially self-contained, even though it's my understanding that most Stephen King stories take place within the same universe(multiverse?). Would it be accurate to say that the Dark Tower is at the center of the multiverse?

Also, have you ever seen the Langoliers? Probably the best thing about it is Dean Stockwell. You also get Cousin Balki devouring the scenery as the villainous Craig Toomey.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Other than a short story or two, I haven't read any King. I have been tempted to start with either It or the Dark Tower for quite some time; but probably It because that's essentially self-contained, even though it's my understanding that most Stephen King stories take place within the same universe(multiverse?). Would it be accurate to say that the Dark Tower is at the center of the multiverse?

That's pretty ambitious to start with the Dark Tower seven-book series. I guess you could read book one (which is short) and mostly a collection of his early Roland stories including how Roland became a gunslinger -- I love that tale. And see how you like it. The books get significantly bigger around books 3-4.

Also, have you ever seen the Langoliers? Probably the best thing about it is Dean Stockwell. You also get Cousin Balki devouring the scenery as the villainous Craig Toomey.
The TV movie isn't that highly regarded, but I think it would be hard to film and I really actually love the novella even if others do not. I reread it every so often.

The Cat

Staff member
That's pretty ambitious to start with the Dark Tower seven-book series. I guess you could read book one (which is short) and mostly a collection of his early Roland stories including how Roland became a gunslinger -- I love that tale. And see how you like it. The books get significantly bigger around books 3-4.

The TV movie isn't that highly regarded, but I think it would be hard to film and I really actually love the novella even if others do not. I reread it every so often.
I started reading it back in the military but there were only four books out at the time iirc. I stopped reading during the beginning of Wizard and the glass to let King Catch up, and the time sort of got away from me.

The Cat

Staff member

I recommend Needful Things and Salems Lot off the cuff. Those were my first two

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I recommend Needful Things and Salems Lot off the cuff. Those were my first two
Needful Things? Lol, that's a book where the payoffs dont match the laborious page count. Plus, it seems more interesting if you actually know something about Castle Rock. Like, read The Dark Half and The Body so that some of the characters actually mean something in NT.

I think The Dead Zone or Firestarter are quicker reads if you're starting out. Different Seasons has four novellas, three of which at least are good and read fast. I mean, at least there's a lot to choose from. But I'd probably start with something shorter and faster.

The Cat

Staff member
Needful Things? Lol, that's a book where the payoffs dont match the laborious page count. Plus, it seems more interesting if you actually know something about Castle Rock. Like, read The Dark Half and The Body so that some of the characters actually mean something in NT.

I think The Dead Zone or Firestarter are quicker reads if you're starting out. Different Seasons has four novellas, three of which at least are good and read fast. I mean, at least there's a lot to choose from. But I'd probably start with something shorter and faster.
;) Why you must be human, how weirdly exotic and excitingly perverse! Personally though that book was a delightful breeze for me to get through.(yeah maybe I liked it a bit too much, but looking for a horror story with a solid fae type antagoinist it delivers in spades. the Lovecraft connection was just icing Leland Gaunt and Randall Flagg arethe best antagonists in fiction because they're real. They're whole living entities that just happen to be observed by outsiders in the worlds they inhabit, just because theyre in the right place and at the right time to do so) It was nice coming into Castle Rock in the after effects of some other things. In media res if you like. Because everyone has to come to a series at some point. Maybe I didnt want to jump in with Cujo, or the dead zone, maybe I wanted to jump in right where I did. Where I got to come into Castle Rock with my little store. And leave once it became clear that no one left there could take a little joke despite getting everything they wished for a fair price. The Characters meant exactly what I wanted to mean for my first read through. It payed off for me for exactly the right price. Met all my needs and left me quite sated and satisfied. For a time anyway, There's been good eating in the Stand so far. Lots to leave a man smiling if he knows where he's walking. Jules might prefer to start elsewhere else than I chose though..

Im never really looking for a quick read tbh. Too much like movies and tv shows insisting on getting shorter and shorter content runs. Or rather I suppose, I just read quickly so I tend to look for ones that seem like theyre gonna take me more than a three day stretch to read. I'll get to the dark half and the body eventually.
so Im in no rush. I'm born when the times change after all, and the times are changing again. I can feel it in the wind. It's almost time to be reborn.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is Book One shorter than It?
The TV movie is a source of constant in-jokes between my sister and I. It's not good, but it's given both of us a lot of laughs.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is Book One shorter than It?
The first book is the shortest of the 7 I think, and is very short. It's basically a collection short stories that were compiled. (231 pages?) That's short even for a normal Stephen King book.

The TV movie is a source of constant in-jokes between my sister and I. It's not good, but it's given both of us a lot of laughs.
As long as it is enjoyable, lol. I think it is one of things that works really well in novella format (like some of King's stuff) but is hard to treat seriously in a visual format unless you're working with a more surreal/suggestive director.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The first book is the shortest of the 7 I think, and is very short. It's basically a collection short stories that were compiled. (231 pages?) That's short even for a normal Stephen King book.
231 pages is quite short, so maybe I'll give that a spin.
As long as it is enjoyable, lol. I think it is one of things that works really well in novella format (like some of King's stuff) but is hard to treat seriously in a visual format unless you're working with a more surreal/suggestive director.
We also did this with the Children of Corn movie with Linda Hamilton. I'm guessing that's another one of those stories that work better on the page.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
231 pages is quite short, so maybe I'll give that a spin.

We also did this with the Children of Corn movie with Linda Hamilton. I'm guessing that's another one of those stories that work better on the page.
The story is cool and fun. The movie, more of a laugh lol.