• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2017 Oscar Nomination Discussion

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A few of us are considering blogging the Oscar awards live here, when it occurs in a few weeks. Dirty Secret: I usually never actually watch it, but it could be fun depending on who is hanging out here as we snark it up.

That being said, here are my thoughts on some of the categories (tempered by the fact I haven't yet seen all the movies/performances nominated).

BEST PICTURE
I think it pretty much comes down to La La Land, Moonlight, or Hidden Figures (the latter being a dark horse favored by SAG as well as being a public darling). I think if La La Land wins on anything, it'll be on scope -- it simply tries to do more and has a lot more in it than Moonlight, which is much smaller very tightly focused character study. Based on the landscape, though, I expect La La Land to win.

(I am curious about Fences, which I haven't seen, especially with it resulting in potential wins for its lead performances. Is it a darker dark horse?)

As a side note, though, my personal "emotional" preference overall is probably for Manchester by the Sea or Arrival. My emotional response to La La Land (aside from the last 15 minutes) is about on par with Hail Caesar! -- both are decent movies, both have elements of song and dance, both are technically decent, but they don't really linger and capture my heart.

BEST DIRECTOR
Damien Chazelle (La La Land) been pulling in much of the industry awards, for good reasons. He did do a great job directing this movie -- he had a vision for this movie, which is complex with many factors (lighting, camera angles, cinematography, editing, choreography, music, etc.) and he does spin it into a successful story. Whereas Whiplash showed some amazing edit and performances by the leads, it was a much smaller picture -- a test run for something more spectacular. La La Land is more of the spectacle movie, the likes of which got James Cameron an Oscar even when his script sucked. The other movies just aren't spectacular enough to win the obvious kudos.

BEST ACTRESS
Emma Stone is a great actress and everyone's seen La La Land, so I expect her to win. Still, her performance here isn't as deeply resounding as other actress winners I've seen over the years. I haven't seen Portman in "Jackie," so I can't comment, but she could be the dark horse winner here. Streep is decent at portraying FFJ (a real person, look her up!) and is quite amusing, but it's low-bar for Streep. Huppert does give a nuanced performance in Elle, which American audiences might not resonate with -- her performance is textured portraying a woman with complicated emotional ties to her attacker -- and since it's in subtitles for American audiences, it might just leave folks cold. I didn't see Negga in Loving yet.

BEST ACTOR
Denzel in Fences has actuallly picked up some buzz lately, making what looked like a blowout in the Best Actor field (by Casey Affleck) a two-person race. I'll try to view Fences this weekend, since it is showing up in various categories. Affleck is pretty great as a guy with low emotional affect (seems to be Affleck's speciality) holding in a lot of rage, shame, and pain below the surface, while also trying to deal with parenting his nephew unexpectedly and even unwillingly in some regards -- partly because he's thrown into parenting a teenager, but also because it threatens to break down the walls he's been using to hold himself together to avoid dealing with past trauma. Still, if Fences is a good enough movie, Washington's performance might have teeth here.

I didn't see Hacksaw Ridge, but Mortensen is great in Captain Fantastic (probably the best part of the movie and what holds it together) -- he's fearless and comes off both as a loving father and a total asshat, he's not afraid to be hated by the audience. Gosling is decent enough in La La Land, but it's not a standout role for him.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Haven't seen Fences, but Davis is a probable winner from what I've seen unfold. Williams is decent as always, in Manchester by the Sea; the problem is she really doesn't get much screentime, even if she's really good in the minutes she does get. Harris in Moonlight actually felt like a realistic spin on the junkie mom - -the role itself is kind of limiting, but she makes it feel unique and she actually is sympathetic by the end.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ali is picked to win this and probably will -- it's a feel good role (the dealer who also looks after the disadvantaged / isolated kid and has SOME kind of moral compass) and there's a big of complexity when he's forced to contrast his supposed concern for people with what he does for a living. Ali plays this role very well and he's a "positive" figure in a lot of ways, and likable, hence his win; but his screen time is limited.

Jeff Bridges was a high point of Hell or High Water -- he's really interesting on the screen, dominates much of the movie, you can tell you're watching an actor who has been around and perfecting his craft over the years. There's a lot of affections woven into his character that makes the detective stand out. DIdn't see Lion. Hedges in MbtS is deceptively good as the teenage son Affleck has to take under his wing, but the performance feels a bit unfocused.
And Michael Shannon might be the best part of Nocturnal Animals, honestly -- I vouched for this guy in my 99 Homes review, and he pulls through here too. He elevates any movie he is in. THis role is so freaking generic, but he actually makes him seem real and interestinga real-feeling small-town cop, exasperated by the system, sympathetic to the victimized, disregard for the scumbag criminal, with nothing to lose. It's simply not a big and important enough role to be in competition, but it's no wonder it at least got a nom.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
My heart is with Kubo (it's just a beautiful story, beautiful graphics, winsome performances... damn, they even got a real performance out of Art Parkinson, you'll have trouble recognizing his voice as belonging to the script-stiffed Rickon Stark from GoT), but my head tells me Zootopia is going to pull in the honors. It's simply a more positive-toned story, with a lot of important social exploration of diversity and current culture -- it's a "bigger" picture than Kubo, which is more focused on grief and loss, and it's more nuanced than most Disney fare. It's too bad they both came out in the same year.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
I haven't seen 20th Century Women, but I expect Manchester by the Sea to pick this one up. It's a better script than La La Land (which only has a few shining moments of writing); Hell and High Water is decent but emotionally flat; and Manchester by the Sea is just pretty rich and feels like you're listening and living with real people. There's low-key humor based on situation and demands the audience breathe with the movie.

As a dark horse, I love "The Lobster" -- it's as quirky as hell but consistent in tone, full of dark humor and whimsy (on the level of Being John Malkovich), and it raises some disturbing questions. But the movie just wasn't big enough nor mainstream enough. Still, as far as originality goes? Easily the best in that regard.

.... okay, I think I'm burned out now.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a love-hate relationship with Oscar history (mostly hate :laugh:)

I might participate.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a love-hate relationship with Oscar history (mostly hate :laugh:)

I might participate.

Yeah, it's mostly for kicks if we do it and for the people commenting, not for the show itself. Like I said, I never actually watch it. :p But if we are gonna Hecklemob it?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm mostly interested in the "technical" categories like FX, best score, et al. But I'm all for heckling the presenters and award recipients. I could see this making a fun drinking game.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm mostly interested in the "technical" categories like FX, best score, et al. But I'm all for heckling the presenters and award recipients. I could see this making a fun drinking game.

I have enough booze in the house to probably supply everyone if we were local, but... calling in sick Monday because of an Oscar hangover? Lolz.

It could be fun. Who is hosting this thing again? Jimmy Kimmel?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have enough booze in the house to probably supply everyone if we were local, but... calling in sick Monday because of an Oscar hangover? Lolz.

It could be fun. Who is hosting this thing again? Jimmy Kimmel?

Oh lord. Kimmel. I don't get the appeal.

You're like one state over from me, maybe I'll show up at your door with a bottle :laugh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh lord. Kimmel. I don't get the appeal.

You're like one state over from me, maybe I'll show up at your door with a bottle :laugh:

HAHAHAHA!

Honestly, I wouldn't care. The house is still in mid-unpack and the rooms aren't really decorated, but the 55" TV has been up since the first few days. :D

Kas

Fabula rasa
Which Oscar nominated films did you like?

I've seen only Hacksaw Ridge and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I have mixed feelings about Hacksaw Ridge- the story is great and I can't say it didn't move me, but it's too pompous to me. Fantastic Beasts was a good watch (to me better than HP movies :shrug:), but I doubt it will get Oscars.

I have gut feeling that La La Land will get many awards. But I don't think I'm able to watch it, maybe full movie is better, but the trailers looked soo cheesy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which Oscar nominated films did you like?

Here's the list of what I saw that received an Oscar nom for something.
The ones I would watch again or have watched again already are in red.

I liked quite a number of the films, but there are also some movies that I consider well-made and acted that I don't think I could sit through again (like Manchester by the Sea).

I've seen only Hacksaw Ridge and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I have mixed feelings about Hacksaw Ridge- the story is great and I can't say it didn't move me, but it's too pompous to me. Fantastic Beasts was a good watch (to me better than HP movies :shrug:), but I doubt it will get Oscars.

I haven't seen either of those, although I plan to see them at some point. I have access to a good copy of Fantastic Beasts, at least.

I would like to see Loving, Fences, and Lion this week if I can (or swap in Hidden Figures).

I have gut feeling that La La Land will get many awards. But I don't think I'm able to watch it, maybe full movie is better, but the trailers looked soo cheesy.

It depends on what you consider cheesy. Some parts were good, some parts just kind of there. There are numbers that harken back to the old musicals of the 40's, kind of like "Hail Caesar," but I didn't feel the talent was as good. But yeah, for whatever reason, it looks like La La Land will take home various awards this year.

Kas

Fabula rasa

Thanks a lot!

I really want to see Arrival. It's nice that recently is decent number of new sf films:)

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thanks a lot!

I really want to see Arrival. It's nice that recently is decent number of new sf films:)

Same here. Just bought it on iTunes. I really hope it doesn't turn out to be a disappointment like Interstellar.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Same here. I really hope it doesn't turn out to be a disappointment like Interstellar.

I generally think it wasn't bad, but definitely they didn't know when to finish, I think it should end about 20 minutes earlier.

From (relatively)recent sf movies , I probably liked Martian the best.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Martian was fun enough -- kind of pragmatic and casual. The Extended Edition adds a few scenes that are totally extra but gives some more texture to the movie. I wish I had seen it in 3D in the theater, just for all the landscape shots.

There are parts of Interstellar I liked, other parts that annoyed me; for Nolan, it felt kind of uneven unlike much of his earlier work. (Makes me wonder about Dunkirk, coming out soon.) It was almost too ambitious for itself. Zimmer did a decent job with the music. I also liked the two droids; very Kubrick-esque.

Kas

Fabula rasa
The Martian was fun enough -- kind of pragmatic and casual. The Extended Edition adds a few scenes that are totally extra but gives some more texture to the movie. I wish I had seen it in 3D in the theater, just for all the landscape shots.

Casual is a good word- I think that humour balanced well the drama.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have watched about 45 minutes of Fences.

Viola Davis is solid but I haven't yet found anything meaty where I am like, "Dayum girl you need an OSCAR!"

Meanwhile, I can see why Denzel is in the running and got a SAG -- he's carrying a lot of the movie, and he does it effortlessly, and he doesn't STFU. It's a dazzling display of verbosity; his character just goes on and on and on. This is actually the fascinating part -- because Casey Affleck's character is pretty much all INTERNALIZED. They're like mirror opposites this way, you hear far more about Denzel's character than you'd ever want to and sometimes he just really needs to stop and think before speaking. One character is obsessed with guilt over a mistake he made that ruined his family; the other ruins his family with his obsession over how he thinks he was unfairly wronged by society.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oscar Sunday 7:40 EST

Man, after turning on the telly and seeing Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel talking ("Hello, 'Beautiful People'') I have decided I don't really care to hear actors speak about themselves again on a red carpet event. How vapid.

I mean, I like seeing interviews where they talk about their craft and why they made certain artistic decisions in their performances... but not really much about politics or their personal lives.

Or their outfits. "OMGERD MY DRESS WAS MADE BY SO-AND-SO AND MY JEWELS COME FROM SO-AND-SO AND THEN THERE ARE MY BEAUTIFUL SHOES...."

... it's kinda nice to just see a shot of Tracy Pollan and Michael J. Fox walking in, though. Still together, and Fox keeps pushing himself.

Are they really covering Jimmy Kimmel watching them covering him? Dear god.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This has a very retro, a 70's feel. The velvet tuxes, the frilly shirts, Bill Withers song to open things up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
was on phone with mom, but had the TV running.

Didn't hear the opening number, although I saw it. Dunno how I feel about that stuff. They're all performers, so they would get into it more than I would. But sometimes it feels a bit overdone. Was Kimmel's opening any good?

No shock about Ali = Best Supporting Actor. Nice the Jeff Bridges slapped him heartily on shoulder and he came back to shake his hand...

But yeah, Suicide Squad = Best Makeup? That will probably be the only award that movie wins. I think most people were leaning to Star Trek for that.

Costume Design winner (Fantastic Beasts) was refreshing -- "Sting told me I would win, but I didn't believe. I don't have a speech prepared." Lol. But really?i would always have something planned if I was in the running for an Oscar regardless

... awww, there was a commercial for Rolex, and they happened to have a quick snippet of Bill Paxton (TItanic) in it :(