• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your 2016 Oscars Live Thread

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My girl Rachel is looking gorgeous. :wubbie:

I love her. It's crazy looking at Mean Girls the trajectory of almost everyone in that film EXCEPT Lindsay Lohan. Kinda sad really...

Mark Ruffalo seems like a genuinely nice person.

Doesn't he??

Seriously. She is a goddess. Un. Real.

You ever see Devil's Advocate?

devils-advocate-vaccarisays.jpg

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Devil's Advocate was crazy! She went nuts. The fact she dated Sean Penn briefly dulled her shine but she kicked him to the curb, so she is vindicated.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*counts fingers and toes* :pedantic:

The math checks out. :laugh:

Much like his acting, Leo's genius as a sexual logistician has always gone unrecognized. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Devil's Advocate was crazy! She went nuts. The fact she dated Sean Penn briefly dulled her shine but she kicked him to the curb, so she is vindicated.

Someone said that Sean Penn had a penis nose and it was hilarious.

Might have been on Mean Tweets?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When you cut past all the controversy, you are reminded that the Academy Awards ceremony is a place where nothing interesting happens.

Beorn

Permabanned
I'm really happy Mark Rylance won for Bridge of Spies. He was awesome and that film deserved some recognition.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm really happy Mark Rylance won for Bridge of Spies. He was awesome and that film deserved some recognition.

I didn't see it but now it is on the list. I did see Creed yesterday and it is good. I'm a Stallone fan. As an Italian girl, I think it's mandatory. Rambo: First Blood is in my top 10 movies.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
NOT a fan of Leo (and I really didn't like the Revenant either; I was rooting for that be a and never got over it), but yay that the Danish Girl, the Big Short, A Girl in the River, Mad Max, and Inside Out got some awards. :D

Also wasn't really feeling the dresses. Except for Charlize:
oscars-red-carpet-2417-charlize-theron-superJumbo-v2.jpg

:wubbie::wubbie::wubbie:
I want it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw "Room" last week. Impressed with the performances of the two leads (Larson and Tremblay), but I found the movie more to just be a bunch of connected "segments" and it flattened the emotional journey a bit. So... not really a contender anyway IMO for Best Pic; good movie, not great but just driven by two great performances.

I liked Revenant a lot, but if I had to list the "best" aspects of that movie, it would have been (1) Lead Actor, (2) Director, and (3) Cinematography. (Hey, look at that!) Would those three things bump it up to also win Best Picture? Apparently not. I can't speak for the merits of Spotlight yet; I grabbed it on Saturday but haven't had a chance to watch it yet (same with Bridge of Spies). Most of the other non-winning pics are on my list as well, it's just that if you missed them in the theater, they are finally now coming out on legal disc/stream and so weren't available until after award season.

I'm glad Leonardo finally won, I think his work has really shone over the last ten years or so; but realistically there are many other great actors who have been up for awards and still have never won. He wasn't even at the top of the list of "most deserving," based on FiveThirtyEight's review of the situations of other comparable actors...

Does Leonardo DiCaprio Deserve An Oscar? An Interrogation. | FiveThirtyEight

I did see The Danish Girl. Another case where there were two decent performances (Redmayne and Vikander), which along with the consistent "tone" led to it being a decent -- but not GREAT -- movie as well; Vikander was definitely the high point, consistently, of that movie. Her performance in "Ex Machina" was on par as well, but the Academy went for The Danish Girl role; I guess having one genre movie (Mad Max) in the runnings was surprising enough and they couldn't muster up another scifi pic.

Honestly, I am just happy that Mad Max was up for so many awards, and not just costuming or makeup; we actually had a post-apocalyptic film in the running for best picture, best director, and so forth. People actually took it seriously. Which they should have; it was an interesting blend of genre trappings, feminism (in what looked like a "men's pic"), and relentlessly streamlined focus. It was both meaningful AND highly enjoyable. (That crazy crimson guitarist could be the high point, image-wise, of Cinema 2015 for me; that was WTF hilarious.)

...Of course, then we've got the issue over the nomination process. Sigh.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(That crazy crimson guitarist could be the high point, image-wise, of Cinema 2015 for me; that was WTF hilarious.)

That's the part of the film people always mention when I talk to them about it. It was possibly the most memorable scene. I really loved Fury Road, as much as the Road Warrior. All of the Mad Max films have contained a lot of distinct, bizarre visual inclusions that set them apart from most films of the genre. It's often hilarious but it's not in a way that ever really detracts from the intensity of the action.

I'm so glad Miller was in charge. If they'd remade this series with a new director, it would've SUUUUUCKED. That's not opinion, it's fact. There's no way anyone else could make these films as distinct. It was bound to happen at some point, had Miller not returned.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's the part of the film people always mention when I talk to them about it. It was possibly the most memorable scene. I really loved Fury Road, as much as the Road Warrior. All of the Mad Max films have contained a lot of distinct, bizarre visual inclusions that set them apart from most films of the genre. It's often hilarious but it's not in a way that ever really detracts from the intensity of the action.

That's the truth. Sometimes bizarre / humorous imagery can pull you out of a movie even while being funny. I think Miller made the film internally coherent (visually, audibly, tonally), even if when you step back and look at it, the film itself seems pretty crazy. His vision was consistent and relentless. You might want to laugh at a lot of that film -- the crazy intensity of the action scenes, the over-the-top nature of the dust storm and the crazy stunts being pulled (grenade dropping motorcyclists, guys on poles dipping around at 90mph), the dripping masculinity of Joe's "healthy" kid, the decrepit pale children / workers running the elevator lift (like sickly love children of the "Dark City" Others and Gollum), the little genetically deformed guy manning the telescope, it just goes on and on.... But because of the consistent vision, I could also take it seriously within its own frame of reference.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's the truth. Sometimes bizarre / humorous imagery can pull you out of a movie even while being funny. I think Miller made the film internally coherent (visually, audibly, tonally), even if when you step back and look at it, the film itself seems pretty crazy. His vision was consistent and relentless. You might want to laugh at a lot of that film -- the crazy intensity of the action scenes, the over-the-top nature of the dust storm and the crazy stunts being pulled (grenade dropping motorcyclists, guys on poles dipping around at 90mph), the dripping masculinity of Joe's "healthy" kid, the decrepit pale child and workers running the elevator lift (like sickly love children of the "Dark City" Others and Gollum), the little genetically deformed guy manning the telescope, it just goes on and on.... But because of the consistent vision, I could also take it seriously within its own frame of reference.

The Dust Storm was INTENSE. The music in that scene was really great. The whole film was filled with climactic high points. People complained the plot was weak or non-existent. Bullshit. It followed the basic structure of poetics/story/whatever you want to call it. That's all it needed to do. It didn't need an incoherent plot or any of the twists people have come to expect in every sci-fi film. It had heart too. It's like they took the very best elements of Thunderdome and Road Warrior and mashed them up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Dust Storm was INTENSE. The music in that scene was really great. The whole film was filled with climactic high points. People complained the plot was weak or non-existent. Bullshit. It followed the basic structure of poetics/story/whatever you want to call it. That's all it needed to do. It had heart too. It's like they took the very best elements of Thunderdome and Road Warrior and mashed them up.

It was So Much This:

675815-610x256.jpg

Alas, Fury Road -- you did not win the biggest prizes of all, but you will still enter the gates of Valhalla, all SHINY and CHROME!!