• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WORLD CUP 2010

TiNe_2_IP

MBTI Type
INTP
Husband has to work away for a couple of days mid-June and asked if I wanted to come. I said I couldn't World Cup was on. Well they do have TV's where I'm going he said. Yeah but not my couch, blanket and fridge and besides I get so into whatever game I'm watching that I would wake all the other patrons up.
It's his fault I got into the World Cup. He wanted me to watch it with him one time, he ended up going to bed and left me watching it by myself. Think he regrets that now.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
it's unlikely that britain or the us will win, but i'll be cheering both teams on.

R

Riva

Ohhh I love football.

It's just so exiting and any team could win. How odd it is that it has been won by only 7 teams though it had been played for more than 70 years.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Ohhh I love football.

It's just so exiting and any team could win. How odd it is that it has been won by only 7 teams though it had been played for more than 70 years.

...but the cup itself only happens every four years so 7 teams over 17-18 occasions doesn't sound half as bad a ratio :newwink:

R

Riva

^ Yes and Brazil wining 5 of them, 4 by Italy, 3 by Germany. It's insane. How could they possibly win over and over.

And I wonder why China hasn't made a mager attempt to get in to a world cup?

They sure did could up in Athletics.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
We can but hope ;) Looks like Kewel will be fit for this one and we still have our star keeper and a few other veterans of the last cup.:hi:

IDK. I like Aussies and all, but part of me loves the Italian style. My nickname on the pitch is Materazzi - not sure if that's a good thing.:huh:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Still I have faith Argentina will do it so I'll just say "vaffanculo" to Italy for now. :D

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
IDK. I like Aussies and all, but part of me loves the Italian style. My nickname on the pitch is Materazzi - not sure if that's a good thing.:huh:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Still I have faith Argentina will do it so I'll just say "vaffanculo" to Italy for now. :D

I guess we will need to see how the draws pan out then - I can be a good loser if the game is played well and honestly :D

I would rather say avanti Argentina than avanti Italy! :hi:

R

Riva

I would like to see Argentina or Germany win. Germans deserved to win the last time. The referee didn't see a foul made by an Italian player. It fould have been a penalty kick. Germany would have scored and they would have definitely won since from that moment on they would have tried to defend. Poor Germans. At the end of the day errors do happen but at a time like that it was totally unacceptable and unfair.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Britain is not playing in the World Cup.

There is no such team, I can assure anyone who remains in ignorance of this :)

The international teams representing the British Isles are England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales, corresponding to the regions with a separate national identity. Furthermore, people generally do not support a team that represents another region merely because it is also British. Sporting rivalries here, which are essentially a patriotic expression of national identity, transcend international political boundaries.

There is a general principle, however, that if one is British, but not English, one supports any other team which is playing England regardless of nationality, this can be waived to some extent if England are doing particularly well in a competition in which one's own team is not participating, however. If the team is from one of the other British regions, one definitely supports that team against England, and possibly against other nations as well (on the general principle of sticking up for the underdog), unless there are league table considerations, or your own team has suffered a humiliating loss to them within recent memory.

As usual Wales didn't make it, so I have no-one to support really :devil:

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
There is a general principle, however, that if one is British, but not English, one supports any other team which is playing England regardless of nationality, this can be waived to some extent if England are doing particularly well in a competition in which one's own team is not participating, however.

Maybe in the case of Wales. I think in the case of the jocks only the first bit applies.:laugh:

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Maybe in the case of Wales. I think in the case of the jocks only the first bit applies.:laugh:

This is true, but not everyone is one of them ;) Around here people are mostly not football supporters anyway, and only really care about the Rugby, so it wouldn't be a very terrible thing to show some mild support for the England team in a sport you don't really care about, when you're not otherwise affected. People are mostly football supporters in Scotland, so different rules apply! The converse applies: chance of anyone here except an English expatriate supporting the England rugby team for any reason == zero, as far as I can see...

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I was hoping for Argentina to do well but seems like Maradonna is destroying their chances with the team hes picking.

I was surprised and upset finding Cambiasso being left out of the team. You win the frickin' Champion's League, while defeating few of the hottest clubs in Europe, and you don't get a pass to the World Cup?? Well, maybe Mr. 10 was mad at him for ruining Messi's year. :shock:

But I got bit cheered up when I saw their forwards. Messi (La Liga #1, Champions' League #1), Higuain (La Liga #2), Tevez (Premier League #4), Milito (Serie A #2, Champions' league #4)... together they scored over 100 goals during the past season. No other team has as strong forwards as Argentina has.

But I'm afraid Argentina won't fare too well under pressure, since they lack strong defenders and a goalie.

Personally I feel that Spain has the strongest team, and I'd place my money on them. And I'm hoping they will finally let Victor Valdez have his first cap on field. He's one of the best goalies in the world.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
There is no such team, I can assure anyone who remains in ignorance of this :)

The international teams representing the British Isles are England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales, corresponding to the regions with a separate national identity. Furthermore, people generally do not support a team that represents another region merely because it is also British. Sporting rivalries here, which are essentially a patriotic expression of national identity, transcend international political boundaries.

There is a general principle, however, that if one is British, but not English, one supports any other team which is playing England regardless of nationality, this can be waived to some extent if England are doing particularly well in a competition in which one's own team is not participating, however. If the team is from one of the other British regions, one definitely supports that team against England, and possibly against other nations as well (on the general principle of sticking up for the underdog), unless there are league table considerations, or your own team has suffered a humiliating loss to them within recent memory.

As usual Wales didn't make it, so I have no-one to support really :devil:

Ragashree you can become a defacto Aussie for the duration of the cup :happy:

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius' thinks watching a club team have a decade and half of underachievement is even more depressing the forty-four years of hurt of his national team.

Falcarius wonders other than having a liability of a goalkeeper, a disjointed defence, having a side which the two best midfielders don't seem to be able to play together no matter how hard they try, and being almost totally reliant on one striker; who wouldn't fancy England?

On a more positive note, Falcarius did see that hilarious pompey fan while at the England v Mexico game last week.:cheese: