• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Witcher

rav3n

It's excellent! Cavill IS Geralt. We've completed ep 5 and will binge the rest tonight.

rav3n

Binged the rest. Worth every single second of watching it. This is ten times better than the Mandalorian which I gave up on (H is still watching it) after 4.5 episodes. Near perfect casting with good actors who gave good performances. Plots are good too. Fantasy with a touch of horror done right, rather than the norm in horror where people do stupid things. Costumes are great, sets are great, monsters are decent.

As must be obvious, I'm avoiding posting details. All I can say is that the show hooked me in under ten minutes, keeping us immersed from the beginning of episode one to the end of episode eight. Can't wait for season 2!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is this based on a video game or something? I don't recall.

rav3n

It's premised on the same short stories that the video games were premised on, written by Andrzej Sapkowski.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Are the ah..."amorous undertones" still intact in the show?

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
To some extent but they're kept as asides and relatively toned down.

I'll accept that as fine in exchange for seven seasons of this show. I'm really hoping they dont pull the plug prematurely. :(

rav3n

I'll accept that as fine in exchange for seven seasons of this show. I'm really hoping they dont pull the plug prematurely. :(
Yeah, netflix has pulled shows in a rando manner because of cost or whatever else that appears to flit across their minds. But The Witcher has an average rating across all age groups of over eight stars where more than 54% have rated it ten stars on IMDb so it's a huge winner for them. Backlash would be substantial if they pulled it and myself, I'd personally cancel my subscription if they did this.

The Witcher (TV Series 2019– ) - User ratings - IMDb

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not familiar with the video games or novels this is based on, but two episodes in, it's kept my interest. Well, the Geralt and Yennifer parts anyway. The blonde Arya Stark stuff (and that's pretty much how I thought of the character as soon as I was introduced to her) is not terribly interesting so far, and it seems like I have to endure that for a few more episodes before she finally meets Geralt. Gerault seemed a little cliched at first but he got more interesting after the first half of the first episode. I rather enjoy his interactions with the bard in episode 2 and hope the bard sticks around for a bit.

I don't really understand all the background stuff right now (like who was the group that attack blonde Arya's kingdom.... were they elves?), but for me that's part of the fun with diving in to something like this.

It seems to be leaning much more on the magic side of things than the GOT series ever did. GOT really downplayed the magical elements from the books, which actually might have been a mistake because maybe it would have made Bran's fate seem less random if they'd kept more of that. (I'm still laughing at the people at the r/asoiaf Reddit who thought an announcement about "winter was coming" just before, um, the Winter Solstice meant anything other than that. Wishful thinking can be very convincing, I suppose.)

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I really like the show. Played the games as well. I wasn't sure about Cavil beforehand but he got my convinced he was the right guy for the role.
non-cliched fantasy with great character development.

I just think that they should make the timeline a bit easier to understand for anyone who isn't already familiar with the universe. some characters don't really age - so presenting scenes featuring these characters decades apart without any visual cue (a date, a different visual filter or anything) is just a tad confusing. Actually, even some characters who are SUPPOSED to age as far as I know don't seem to age at all despite scenes being 15 years apart. Like the bard for example or a queen.

I do enjoy shows that don't go out of their way to explain everything / talk down to the viewer but I believe it takes away from the immersion as one starts wondering if everyone is a f-ing immortal and why nobody is mentioning it at any point in the show.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not familiar with the video games or novels this is based on, but two episodes in, it's kept my interest. Well, the Geralt and Yennifer parts anyway. The blonde Arya Stark stuff (and that's pretty much how I thought of the character as soon as I was introduced to her) is not terribly interesting so far, and it seems like I have to endure that for a few more episodes before she finally meets Geralt. Gerault seemed a little cliched at first but he got more interesting after the first half of the first episode. I rather enjoy his interactions with the bard in episode 2 and hope the bard sticks around for a bit.

First season was all about the short stories in which Ciri didn't really play a part. Her story will essentially start in season 2. But the showrunner wanted her to be the third protagonist in season 1 as well, as she is one of the most important characters later on. But I agree that because of it, her screentime felt a bit forced and inflated at times in season 1.

I don't really understand all the background stuff right now (like who was the group that attack blonde Arya's kingdom.... were they elves?), but for me that's part of the fun with diving in to something like this.

Not knowing why the attack happened to Cintra and who was behind it is very intentional. It's also a massive spoiler, so you should try avoiding getting spoiled on this if you don't know about it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
First season was all about the short stories in which Ciri didn't really play a part. Her story will essentially start in season 2. But the showrunner wanted her to be the third protagonist in season 1 as well, as she is one of the most important characters later on. But I agree that because of it, her screentime felt a bit forced and inflated at times in season 1.

I actually was ok with it once I learned why exactly Geralt was her destiny, which happened earlier than their actual meeting. I thought the stuff about him being destiny was really vague stuff for which I'd have to wait years for any kind of justification. Knowing how she actually does tie into the other story (and also learning how interconnected the stories actually are) so soon actually caused me to change her mind. In short, I think I was premature in calling her an Arya knockoff. I think I said that mostly because of how she was introduced.

Not knowing why the attack happened to Cintra and who was behind it is very intentional. It's also a massive spoiler, so you should try avoiding getting spoiled on this if you don't know about it.