• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Wars 9

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't say it's the best, but I'd say it's on par with the best. I'd say the same about Rogue One. The other two Disney-era films don't reach that level.

Also, X-wings are overrated. A-wings are way better, and I love that TLJ featured them.

So then it is the Halloween III or On Her Majesty's Secret Service of the SW franchise. Bond fans generally regard OHMSS as right up there with the best of the series.

My favorite rebellion fighter is the Y Wing, although I think it's technically supposed to be a bomber. Favorite Imperial fighter is the Tie Interceptor, although the Tie Bombers also look pretty cool. Favorite Republic fighter is the Jedi starfighter (first type, from Attack of the clones), though I like how the second type evolved towards the Tie design.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I liked Vader's Tie Fighter. I dont know why but I imagine it was a luxury fighter somehow.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe TLJ is the Halloween III or On Her Majesty's Secret Service of the franchise, meaning in 20 years everyone will regard it as an underrated classic, if not the very best entry in the series. Then Julius can say told ya so, if this forum still exists.

Well, I will concede that if Dick Warlock or George Lazenby had been in it, it would have been a better film.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Well, I will concede that if "Dick" Warlock or "George" Lazenby had been in it, it would have been a better film.

Are you certain they weren't? those names are almost Star Warsian in scope.

Interesting find btw. Atom tickets is backed by Disney and JJ Abrams is on their advisory board. Record ticket sales for The Rise of Skywalker? Hmmm. Interesting.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Since you're going to see it, let us know your thoughts afterwards. Please spoiler any details if it's worth seeing.

Why would I spoil it for people?

- - - Updated - - -

So then it is the Halloween III or On Her Majesty's Secret Service of the SW franchise. Bond fans generally regard OHMSS as right up there with the best of the series.

My favorite rebellion fighter is the Y Wing, although I think it's technically supposed to be a bomber. Favorite Imperial fighter is the Tie Interceptor, although the Tie Bombers also look pretty cool. Favorite Republic fighter is the Jedi starfighter (first type, from Attack of the clones), though I like how the second type evolved towards the Tie design.

TIE defenders are better.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My post was directed at Totenkindly, relative to her opening post. Next time, I'll quote her.

sure, I'll post in spoilers when it opens in two months.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Classy deep-fake hair.

It's almost like its own alien species.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The attitude towards Anakin's lightsaber sums up the different attitudes of Johnson and Abrams, and why one is way better than the other. One seems to understand what being a Jedi should actually about, and that maybe something that was used to kill children isn't the best symbol of that, and the other one just likes using a surface detail featured in the first two Star Wars movies that everyone loves.

So disappointed Rey doesn't appear to have made her own lightsaber, but has instead reforged the child-killing blade. I doubt that dual bladed red-lightsaber is anything more than a vision.

Rey using Anakin's saber even though it was destroyed sums up the pointlessly devoted to nostalgia even when it doesn't make sense (but that's an issue with the culture at large) which is probably the worst aspect of the franchise and the fandom. I half expect to hear a consensus emerge around ROTS as a brilliant "return to form" (even if the story is the nonsense the leaks suggest) much like TFA was at first unti the Mary Sue critiques spread beyond the confines of the nascent alt-right segment of the fandom.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh no, what if there is a reason for her to use that saber after it's destroyed (which was important for Luke only because of his mistaken ideas of who he thought his father was), and it's important to her because she's a secret Skywalker? Fucking fanboys and their lame idea about "skywalker bloodlines" (which I thought was why they bitched about midichlorians, but whatever). I swear to god I will throw a fit if Johnson's trilogy gets cancelled like D&D's

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh no, what if there is a reason for her to use that saber after it's destroyed (which was important for Luke only because of his mistaken ideas of who he thought his father was), and it's important to her because she's a secret Skywalker? Fucking fanboys and their lame idea about "skywalker bloodlines" (which I thought was why they bitched about midichlorians, but whatever). I swear to god I will throw a fit if Johnson's trilogy gets cancelled like D&D's

I won't.

Johnson can go rot for all I care, and let's get some completely new people in there to do something interesting.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If she must be related to anyone important, and since it seems to be a thing that everyone is related or knows everyone else, despite it being a massive galaxy, then I’d prefer she were a Palpatine or a Kenobi. Kenobi didn’t have kids but maybe she’s a niece or something.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If she must be related to anyone important, and since it seems to be a thing that everyone is related or knows everyone else, despite it being a massive galaxy, then I’d prefer she were a Palpatine or a Kenobi.

Same, but I'm afraid the buckled under the whining and made her a Skywalker. Because Kylo Ren's vague feeling that she was important in the first one HAS to mean something.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's one of the things I hope they do not do.

I really enjoyed that she was a nobody. It means the Force is available to all and you are not defined by your ancestors or family bloodline. Also, that little kid at the end of "The Last Jedi" seems to be Force sensitive and he is a nobody. Unless of course he is Mace Windu's illegitimate grandson or something silly... you can imagine that Mace was a playah.

---

It looks like the soundtrack is not available yet. Sometimes they will release before the film, I think.

I liked The Force Awakens soundtrack better than the Last Jedi. Curious to see how this measures up.

---

If I feel up to it, I'll post a summary of thoughts in spoiler tags after I see it on Thursday.... if I don't, it will be friday.

This film is just a bunch of question marks to me. I have no idea what it is about because Johnson pretty much derailed all the plotlines generated from the first film. I GUESS it's about what is left of the First Order being beaten by the Resistance? Neither of which side has any people? And no real leaders? And.... wouldn't that just leave a new power vacuum in the universe for others to swoop in? Don't ask me.

I don't even know what any of them really want at this point, aside from this manufactured war. But what does Rey really want? What does Ben really want? I guess you can say to "rule" but rule what? He has no infrastructure to support any rule of anything on a wide scale, does he?

I guess this is really like a "national vs states rights" thing. The Resistance is really like the states telling the feds to just butt out and let each planet do their own thing. The Empire and then the First Order is really about dominating everything and having it all under the same rigid hierarchical structure. I dunno. it's all so detached from the nuts and bolts of daily life.