• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do I have to disclose a disability?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
so I was applying for another promotion at work and the application asked if I was disabled... and then listed a category that I most definitely fall into as a disability. I don't consider myself disabled or require any special accommodations at work, so why should I admit to something that has a serious stigma against it?

do I have to say yes? will they fire me if I say no and then they find out? :unsure:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
is it a private company or a government agency of some kind?

I know when we apply here (gov), it's because there are special provisions for certain classes in the application process. So it's a benefit, I think. But I don't know the law or how your workplace approaches it.

If it was a background check, I would always suggest telling the truth because if they find out you withheld information, that's typically a black mark.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so I was applying for another promotion at work and the application asked if I was disabled... and then listed a category that I most definitely fall into as a disability. I don't consider myself disabled or require any special accommodations at work, so why should I admit to something that has a serious stigma against it?

do I have to say yes? will they fire me if I say no and then they find out? :unsure:

hmm, could you talk to someone in HR? (i dont know how useful they are at your company, mileage seems to inevitably vary)

otherwise, unless it interferes with ability to do the job, that should not be an issue. (just randomly thinking of a job i had one time where you were required to be able to lift X amount and be able to stand, if needed, for several hours at a time. wherein if someone had some back issues, they wouldn't be able to be successful at the job)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
what i learned is they can't prevent you from getting the promotion based on that alone, but if you don't think you need accommodations then i wouldn't. but also they can make up bullshit reasons as to why not so i wouldn't.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I would leave it out, not important to disclose in this scenario and is mostly used for demographic information they have to disclose to the government.

Lark

I remember people asking me about stating their community background on equality opportunity sections of forms when I as 17yrs old, I knew people who wouldnt state they were from either of the two main communities here because they identified as atheist, which is grand but for the purposes of the equality opportunity assessment it probably would have better if they could have stated something, it wasnt about them individually or personally is what I mean.

I can understand what you are saying as, while the definitely should not be a stigma against disability, I also think its a reality that there is one and some people do not wish to manage, work along side or be managed by people with life limiting illnesses, for instance, they imagine all sorts of things about illnesses, my reference point is diabetes, which is way less understood than what I imagined, usually its individuals who are the worst examples of people ill with diabetes which have formed peoples opinions of all diabetics.

Although, I always declare, its important to declare anything which may be important at a later date.

Not declaring it does not actually protect you from others discovering it and acting in a prejudiced manner or stigmatising it but seeking to counter their actions if and when they do may be difficult if you have not declared it when directly asked/at the first possible opportunity. Discriminating against someone with a disability, for reasons of the disability, if you can evidence it, is a serious big deal in the UK.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I would leave it out, not important to disclose in this scenario and is mostly used for demographic information they have to disclose to the government.

Yes this ^^ I have a disability due to a chronic spine issue. I have never disclosed it on a resume/job application because it's not relevant to the job I do.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I wouldn't disclose it but I would also ask about the job duties just in case.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here in the Netherlands there are also situations where employers get tax benefits for hiring people with certain disabilities.

I don't know if that would be the case for you though, but if that is the reason they ask and you would fall into that category, disclosing it would actually improve your chances for being hired, especially if you won't be needing any special attention for it and it wouldn't have any effect on your performance.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would only disclose if you have special accommodations that need to be met for fulfilling your duties.

Metis

Sometimes libraries have a "Lawyer in the Library" program, and you can sign up to talk with a lawyer for 10 to 20 minutes for free. Might not be available as early as you need to know, though.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you lie, you can be terminated with cause.

Without severance? Only if they can prove that the information you withheld would influence your ability to do your job. But once again, that's how it is in the Netherlands. I don't know much about American law.

Lark

Sometimes libraries have a "Lawyer in the Library" program, and you can sign up to talk with a lawyer for 10 to 20 minutes for free. Might not be available as early as you need to know, though.

What a useful service/great idea that actually is.

rav3n

Without severance? Only if they can prove that the information you withheld would influence your ability to do your job. But once again, that's how it is in the Netherlands. I don't know much about American law.
Depends on which state. In Right to Work states, they can terminate you for anything except for being part of a protected class.

Atomic Fiend

I never disclose it, because in Florida you can be terminated without cause anyways, so it doesn't fucking matter.

Sometimes this state... really gets on my nerves.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's hard to tell without being in the situation and understanding the work environment, the nature of management, etc. EEspecially if you are certain the disability will have no impact on your job performance, I would be inclined to include it on the form. Applications like this should be considered confidential as part of your personnel record, so if it were leaked to other employees, the company could be in trouble. If you are not hired as a result, that should be against the law. If you are hired and do a good job, though, it helps dispel stereotypes about people with disabilities. In general I think it is better for such things to be (relatively) out in the open, as long as you personally wouldn't be made to suffer for it.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
As long as you don't predict that whatever it is will be an issue in the both the immediate and distant future, I wouldn't disclose it.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Depends on which state. In Right to Work states, they can terminate you for anything except for being part of a protected class.

...and of course, they just lie.
EOE is a joke to because they never have to disclose why they chose not to hire. Hell, what does "protected" even mean? I used to work for a company which contracted with disabled people and I was laid off. I was also the only one with an actual disability. The rest were drug addicts/alcoholics. We worked for the military and our boss just faked their background checks. Pretty sorry fucking state of things.sure.

rav3n

...and of course, they just lie.
EOE is a joke to because they never have to disclose why they chose not to hire. Hell, what does "protected" even mean? I used to work for a company which contracted with disabled people and I was laid off. I was also the only one with an actual disability. The rest were drug addicts/alcoholics. We worked for the military and our boss just faked their background checks. Pretty sorry fucking state of things.sure.
That's unfortunate but people should accept the facts. That lying on an employment app can get you terminated, if you're caught. Don't forget that she already works for the company and is applying for a promotion.