• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Where were you on 9/11

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I was in High School, sophmore year, waiting for Mrs. Coburn's AP European history class to start. We flipped on the TV for the announcements and they told us to flip to the news. I could live 10,000 years and not forget that day.

Where were you and what did it feel like?

I'll get more into my own experience, but am curious to hear yours. This should be interesting for the younger members who have no first hand memory of the event.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was moving into a new house on 9/l11, having started a new job several weeks prior, spending the intervening weeks in a Homewood Suites. The moving truck came at 0800, and the crew chief sent one of the movers to a nearby gas station to pick up coffee for the crew. He came back ranting about planes attacking the world trade center, and I wondered what kind of crazy movie he had been watching. One of the first items off the truck was an old black and white TV set. We plugged it in on top of a stack of boxes, and watched events and the inevitable endless commentary proceed while our household goods were unloaded. My workplace was closed the next several days so we were able to get most everything unpacked. A colleague from out of state was in town for some training, and came for dinner.

As for my reaction, I knew nothing would be the same after this. Also that the lessons we would learn would include many of the wrong ones. We are still working to undo the damage of some of those.

A grad school acquaintance from Germany actually sent me a sort of condolence message, basically saying he was sorry we (the US) had to experience this. I thanked him for his concern, but observed that we are not exempt from such violence. Now we just had gained first hand experience of what many other nations already know.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius was in woodwork class when the first plane hit, then mathematics class, and the two towers came down on his way home from high school. He does not remember how he felt other than being worried that there was going to be a world war

Last edited:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was in college, at the time living in an annoying motel. I was asleep and my mom called me, and said we were at war, or something to that effect. It didn't quite feel real, and honestly, the constant tv coverage on basically every channel was really too much for me (since I have used tv throughout my life as a stress reliever #e9 and this was preNetflix days). I was really worried there would be serious risk of having camps for people of certain nationalities or races, like the camps in WWII. My psychology of religion professor had a local Muslim man come and speak to our class about how the terrorists weren't representations of his religion. My educational psychology professor tried to say that the terrorists had no values, and I was an "exception finder" (his phrase, he'd complained about students being exception finders, leading most of the kids in the class to not talk much in class at all) who argued with him, backed by one other classmate.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Now we just had gained first hand experience of what many other nations already know.
And in the years since, protected and emboldened by The Patriot Act hastily passed 45 days after 9/11 we have warrantless wiretaps, legal surveillance and blatant 4th Amendment violations, unchecked and unaccountable, not to mention accelerated militarization of the police

The 9/11 pageantry is ridiculous, certainly in the case of COVID fatalities exceeding one million Americans. Mass death is completely acceptable. Always was. And the fucking doorknobs that scream about their "rights" never have a thing to say about living in a police state. They'd rather take the curb stomp the USG is totally capable of than criticize anything other than the "wokeness" they're unable to define.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Elementary school. We could see the smoke from the classroom window. I was fascinated that something so unusual seemed to be happening. Then we got to go home early which I remember being happy about. I didn't have anyone to be worried about, so I don't think I was personally affected very much.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was in school, and I remember all the teachers tuning the the ancient ass TV's that hung in every classroom. I believe in I was in 3rd grade. School ended early that day, as parents panickily came and picked up their kids. I clearly remember people saying we were going to war. I believe I walked home, after school was released, and only then did I get to see the full news coverage. I understood what was going on, and I realized it was a big deal.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I was also at school (middle school not high school) that day, although I don't remember exactly at what moment I myself first heard about the attacks. What I do remember very vividly is that it wasn't until I returned home that I actually saw what had happened -- and the first time I ever heard the name and saw an image of Osama bin Laden and the first time I ever heard the term "Al-Qaeda". I also remember how the teachers would go back an forth the teachers' lounge between classes, where they were listening and watching radio and television broadcasts for information, and would then come back to tell us students what was going on. It was (not technically "was" since it still exists) a Catholic school run by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, and the next day our school held a Mass.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At my girlfriend’s house.

her dad was a civilian contractor at the pentagon