• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is some viable proof of Global Warming?

Let me ask you this. Can you tell me what temperature it is where you are right now? Go ahead and take a guess. How off are you? I took a guess of 60 degrees farenheit in my area and it was 43 degrees farenheit. I was off by 17 degrees. Now imagine if I was trying to guess or remember the temperature it was when I was 5. How off would I be?

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Earth is warmer.
It's fucking hot.
'Nough?

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
The Earth is warmer.
It's fucking hot.
'Nough?

1 degree celsius in almost 2 centuries...

The proof is simply that we know how carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases work. Humans contribute 29 billion tons co2 every year which is enough to destabilize the carbon cycle and harm the ozone layer. That's only the industry, overpopulation is a factor too. Humans themselves contribute a lot alone through breathing and farting.
The reason the rise of temperatures was so slow until now is that the oceans sucked up a lot of the additional degrees.

This should be proof enough.

11-202063-pasterze-2011.jpg

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The proof is simply that we know how carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases work. Humans contribute 29 billion tons co2 every year which is enough to destabilize the carbon cycle and harm the ozone layer. That's only the industry, overpopulation is a factor too. Humans themselves contribute a lot alone through breathing and farting.
The reason the rise of temperatures was so slow until now is that the oceans sucked up a lot of the additional degrees.

This should be proof enough.

11-202063-pasterze-2011.jpg

True, but I will add more none the less since I was thinking about posting this anyway. Just so that it becomes more obvious that this is not some random incident.

38_4_c365-6-l.jpg

GwdLiarsKyetrakGlacier.jpg

grinnell-20glacier-20loss-jpg.17196

22JG2.jpg

3022948-slide-icemeltalaska14.jpg

dd27249b-a654-4125-9793-0d8550b9fb90_original.png

tumblr_nmkwvhW3rn1u38l26o4_1280.jpg

aaae664852c4f61c5e35db6e1a5dfd6c.jpg

vergleich_mccarthy_glacier_f.jpg

melting_glacier1.jpg

6450266_before-and-after-pictures-of-melting-glaciers_t820776ee.jpg

the-cotopaxi-glacier-which-sits-on-top-of-one-of-the-worlds-tallest-active-volcanoes-located-in-ecuador-is-melting-at-an-accelerating-rate-the-glacier-shrank-in-mass-by-30-between-1956-and-1976-and-another-385-between-1976-and-2006.jpg

8a7cad75-7fe1-493f-b56e-900502c2a369_original.png

262722BF00000578-0-image-a-2_1425052239722.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

alaskamelt.jpeg

everest372.jpg

global-warming-pictures2.jpg

030324_glacierB_03.jpg

Shrinking-Lyell-Glacier-Yosemite-National-Park1-810x355.jpg

AndersonGlacier2004.png

portage-20glacier-20melt-jpg.17197

article-2152004-135D5B7B000005DC-487_634x255.jpg

toboggan-glacier.jpg

And the most important one ...

NASA+arctic+sea+ice+184+2012.png

morganelise48

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think it is also important for people to understand that global warming doesn't simply manifest itself by making the weather warmer. Other types of extreme weather can be a result of global warming. Heavy rainfall coupled with unusually dry periods. Floods. Hurricanes. This is how it starts.

A lot of people just do not understand/aren't informed on this concept. At least with my experience conversing this topic.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Why are we only hearing the negative effects of global warming? Why aren't we given the positive effects of elevated CO2 levels and warmer temperatures? Warmer weather and greater CO2 levels mean greater crop yields (cheaper food prices and less starvation), less money spent on fuel costs (again, benefitting the poor), and a slowing down of desertification. The fact that climate change hysterics only present 1 side of the picture should tell you that these are not honest and impartial players.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why are we only hearing the negative effects of global warming? Why aren't we given the positive effects of elevated CO2 levels and warmer temperatures?

I think you already know the answer. There is an agenda out there to have wealthy Western countries transfer massive amounts of wealth to less wealthy countries in the world. The recent Paris talks may have been about climate change but the overall agreement reached basically amounted to another wealth transfer program from relatively high IQ wealthy nations to relatively low IQ not so wealthy nations. :shrug:

Before people some people's sphincters begin to tighten I'm not even arguing whether man-made global warming is as catastrophic for mankind and the environment as some claim it is ( or isn't) I'm just talking about what sort of multi-national government solutions were proposed and accepted. And that solution was more massive wealth transferring. :dry:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think it is also important for people to understand that global warming doesn't simply manifest itself by making the weather warmer. Other types of extreme weather can be a result of global warming. Heavy rainfall coupled with unusually dry periods. Floods. Hurricanes. This is how it starts.

A lot of people just do not understand/aren't informed on this concept. At least with my experience conversing this topic.

This is exactly why "climate change" term was invented. Since what are experiencing is not necessary warming in all situation, if you want to change global climate you first have to go throught braking of the existing system and that is turbulent process with possitive and negative feedbacks. However the end result will be clearly warmer world once the "dams" of existing system brakes. Climate changes is also good term because it isn't focused just on temeratures. Since this process also changes: abount of rainfall, how it is scattered throught a year, species that live in certain areas, number of days under snow, wind direction, cloud cover, frequency of droughts, stability of ecosystem and food chains, sea level, etc etc. This problem is much much more than just a temperature problem.

Why are we only hearing the negative effects of global warming? Why aren't we given the positive effects of elevated CO2 levels and warmer temperatures? Warmer weather and greater CO2 levels mean greater crop yields (cheaper food prices and less starvation), less money spent on fuel costs (again, benefitting the poor), and a slowing down of desertification. The fact that climate change hysterics only present 1 side of the picture should tell you that these are not honest and impartial players.

Because what you are saying is science of "high school level" and when you go deeper into science this logic completely brakes. As I have shown a few posts up the process of climate change is melting glaciers and they are basically water towers of the world that create/maintain rivers during summers that are warm and often dry. Therefore when glaciers disappear there will be a fundamental change how landscapes around the world work. Only one continent on this world doesn't have glaciers and it is also happens to be the driest one (Australia).

Another problem is that warming in technical terms means more energy and more energy means more turbulance and extremes. What means longers and stronger droughts, while on the other hand precipitation will be increased what can cause temporary floods that can quckly destroy crops for that year. Also it can happen that change in temperatre can shift wind patters so some areas can have drastically reduced rainfall or they can drastical increase of rainfall. What is problem since most crops in medium climate zones rot or they get all kind of parasites and fungals if the weather has too much moisture (and sovling that only makes food more toxic due to various chemicals).

Third problem is that we now have plants that are made for relatively cold period of Earth's history, but as we suddenly and artificially rise temperature plants may suffer from being unadapted to new conditions. What is a problem that will be extra expressed due to melting glaciers and changes in rainfall. Another problem that can occurre in some countries like Bangladesh is that increase of sea level will "swallow" a part of crop zones.

Another CAPITAL problem is that carbon dioxide is causing acidification of oceans and that process is harming microorganisms that live in ocean water. However those organism are the basis/foundation for all food chains in the sees. Therefore once these organisms drop in population all other forms of life in the ocean will do the same as well. What is a huge problem since there is something like 3 billion people on this world that are completely dependant upon sea food in order to have something to eat.

Once you go into the matter even more deeper it gets far more complex that this, but the bottom line is that it is unrealistic to expect better food situation world wide if the current practices continue.

I think you already know the answer. There is an agenda out there to have wealthy Western countries transfer massive amounts of wealth to less wealthy countries in the world. The recent Paris talks may have been about climate change but the overall agreement reached basically amounted to another wealth transfer program from relatively high IQ wealthy nations to relatively low IQ not so wealthy nations. :shrug:

Before people some people's sphincters begin to tighten I'm not even arguing whether man-made global warming is as catastrophic for mankind and the environment as some claim it is ( or isn't) I'm just talking about what sort of multi-national government solutions were proposed and accepted. And that solution was more massive wealth transferring. :dry:

I have no doubts that in this whole process someone will profit even if the process was not meant to be designed for that. However I think you are missing a few very important elements.

Wealthy nations will give some money to the poor, however poor countries have no means to produce green technology. Therefore they will give that money back into wealthy nations in order that companies there will give them means that produce green energy. Therefore the money will eventually be recycled back into the systems from where it came from. While on the other hand wealthy nations will not have to pay the price for the damages that is caused by emission in poor countries.

Therefore if done right this isn't nearly as crazy as it looks at first.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I walked outside yesterday and it seemed cold to me, so idk :shrug:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nah that was just a walk in freezer with the sky painted on the wall on ceiling.

I think the science is still out either way and I'm glad we're finally discussing the controversy here. :)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
The sun has grown 3% larger in size over the past 200 years.

This is the result of carbon dioxide.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Virtual ghost said:
Therefore when glaciers disappear there will be a fundamental change how landscapes around the world work.

When do you expect the glaciers to disappear? Are there any climate change models where the glaciers disappear? This is a new one.

Another problem is that warming in technical terms means more energy and more energy means more turbulance and extremes. What means longers and stronger droughts, while on the other hand precipitation will be increased what can cause temporary floods that can quckly destroy crops for that year.

Except that periods of warmth like today and the medieval warming period were marked by tremendous prosperity due in part to greater arable land, longer growing seasons, and bigger tomatoes.

Third problem is that we now have plants that are made for relatively cold period of Earth's history, but as we suddenly and artificially rise temperature plants may suffer from being unadapted to new conditions.

I live in a semi-arid region of the world and we grow plenty of avocados, almonds, and grapes. There are plenty of food crops that are well adapted to warmer climates.

Another CAPITAL problem is that carbon dioxide is causing acidification of oceans and that process is harming microorganisms that live in ocean water. However those organism are the basis/foundation for all food chains in the sees. Therefore once these organisms drop in population all other forms of life in the ocean will do the same as well.

Entirely theoretical. If you have pH data on ocean waters, I'd love to see it. The fact is there are plenty of algal species that thrive in acidic waters.

morganelise48

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
This is exactly why "climate change" term was invented. Since what are experiencing is not necessary warming in all situation, if you want to change global climate you first have to go throught braking of the existing system and that is turbulent process with possitive and negative feedbacks. However the end result will be clearly warmer world once the "dams" of existing system brakes. Climate changes is also good term because it isn't focused just on temeratures. Since this process also changes: abount of rainfall, how it is scattered throught a year, species that live in certain areas, number of days under snow, wind direction, cloud cover, frequency of droughts, stability of ecosystem and food chains, sea level, etc etc. This problem is much much more than just a temperature problem.

Because what you are saying is science of "high school level" and when you go deeper into science this logic completely brakes. As I have shown a few posts up the process of climate change is melting glaciers and they are basically water towers of the world that create/maintain rivers during summers that are warm and often dry. Therefore when glaciers disappear there will be a fundamental change how landscapes around the world work. Only one continent on this world doesn't have glaciers and it is also happens to be the driest one (Australia).

Another problem is that warming in technical terms means more energy and more energy means more turbulance and extremes. What means longers and stronger droughts, while on the other hand precipitation will be increased what can cause temporary floods that can quckly destroy crops for that year. Also it can happen that change in temperatre can shift wind patters so some areas can have drastically reduced rainfall or they can drastical increase of rainfall. What is problem since most crops in medium climate zones rot or they get all kind of parasites and fungals if the weather has too much moisture (and sovling that only makes food more toxic due to various chemicals).

Third problem is that we now have plants that are made for relatively cold period of Earth's history, but as we suddenly and artificially rise temperature plants may suffer from being unadapted to new conditions. What is a problem that will be extra expressed due to melting glaciers and changes in rainfall. Another problem that can occurre in some countries like Bangladesh is that increase of sea level will "swallow" a part of crop zones.

Another CAPITAL problem is that carbon dioxide is causing acidification of oceans and that process is harming microorganisms that live in ocean water. However those organism are the basis/foundation for all food chains in the sees. Therefore once these organisms drop in population all other forms of life in the ocean will do the same as well. What is a huge problem since there is something like 3 billion people on this world that are completely dependant upon sea food in order to have something to eat.

Once you go into the matter even more deeper it gets far more complex that this, but the bottom line is that it is unrealistic to expect better food situation world wide if the current practices continue.

I have no doubts that in this whole process someone will profit even if the process was not meant to be designed for that. However I think you are missing a few very important elements.

Wealthy nations will give some money to the poor, however poor countries have no means to produce green technology. Therefore they will give that money back into wealthy nations in order that companies there will give them means that produce green energy. Therefore the money will eventually be recycled back into the systems from where it came from. While on the other hand wealthy nations will not have to pay the price for the damages that is caused by emission in poor countries.

Therefore if done right this isn't nearly as crazy as it looks at first.
(BTW heads up, I don't know how to quote on this app lol)

I agree that the term makes sense, as that is the inevidable outcome. But just look at the comment below you. It needs to be communicated more clearly from a young age. My mom for example, who is a bright woman didn't know this concept until I told her. Not because she denies it. She was just never informed.

We place more importance on things (concepts/objects/words) we're more familiar with. Since the problem isn't simply a worldly problem, but a human one, I think this is important. Therefor rhetoric is important.

Don't you think that if its not being seriously considered from a political level yet, something needs to change by how we're going about the issue? I don't claim to know how to fix it either.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So nice of Ottmar Edenhofer, co-chair of the IPCC to speak with such honesty on this subject.

....Basically it’s a big mistake to discuss climate policy separately from the major themes of globalization. The climate summit in Cancun at the end of the month is not a climate conference, but one of the largest economic conferences since the Second World War

But one must say clearly that we redistribute de facto the world’s wealth by climate policy. Obviously, the owners of coal and oil will not be enthusiastic about this. One has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. This has almost nothing to do with environmental policy anymore, with problems such as deforestation or the ozone hole.

IPCC official says climate policy is redistributing the worlds wealth

Of course, this has been one of the main reasons for opposition to climate change policy, that the entire structure isn't about the environment but about social and economic policy.

Hey, at least he was honest that it is a trojan horse.

The planet warms and cools. It is important to study. Pollution is bad and should be curtailed as much as possible. But rushing to solve the problem has only resulted in efforts that really have nothing to do with environmental policy anymore.

And the pollution credit system is scam.

Take out the other goals and problems can be addresed.....

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So nice of Ottmar Edenhofer, co-chair of the IPCC to speak with such honesty on this subject.

Of course, this has been one of the main reasons for opposition to climate change policy, that the entire structure isn't about the environment but about social and economic policy.

The planet warms and cools. It is important to study. Pollution is bad and should be curtailed as much as possible. But rushing to solve the problem has only resulted in efforts that really have nothing to do with environmental policy anymore.

We need to start space exploration so we can harvest liquid nitrogen in mass and use it to offset warming. Or go underground and wait for next ice age. Maybe we can find aliens we can use as slves in the process.

Plus isnt religion suppose to end the world and people, not globl warming. What if that was gods plan and to change it is going against god...lmao

Cant help myself....lol

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I made a related post relevant to this topic. I'll leave the link right here.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

So you agree that global warming is happening but you oppose how it is being addressed?