• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type can change

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
This is groundbreaking.

This is the new version of my secondary types theory.

People show the function order of multiple types, and these types can change throughout life. Some people will mainly stock to one type, whereas others will change type a lot.

I previously thought that type was genetic and could only somewhat change, whereas now I believe it forms early in life and can change very quickly.

For example, for the majority of my time on this forum, I have been INFJ, but this is no longer my type. I won't reveal my new type, but I now do not show signs off INFJ.

My type has changed, and I'm sure anyone can change their type of they want or need to.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've thought this too, that type is fluid and not static, and is likely shaped by a blend of environmental factors and genetics. I also think there are probably more than 16 types, although I can understand the value in keeping a 16 type system. People lose patience with overly complex systems, so to list any more types would cause more people to lose interest. Hence why there can be so much variability with personalities even for people of one supposed type.

All I can say with certainty about my own type is that the capital I for Introvesion is consistent for me. Otherwise, I think my type has changed through the years.

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
While I agree that type changes, but I would suggest It's more from the fact that our lower functions develop as we mature and grow. Also, you'd like to consider that there aren't predetermined specific trait of behaviours that the person should conform to be that MBTI type, that's not how it works. A person's MBTI type is determined by his inner cognitive function process that happens in his/her mind, but that does not limit what type of behaviour the person would exhibit in one of a million situations.

You are still an INFJ, just matured. And you should realise that not every person who is an INFJ is the exact stock 16personalities description found online, there are infinite amount of variations of that said type. Humans and their personalities are far more complex than a bunch of pre-determined online descriptions, or whatever online memes tend to imply with superficial stereotyping. That's the exact mistake that most people make when discovering typology and getting into it.

Last edited:

KitchenFly

This is what you believe you no longer are.

Nine with eight-wing.
Sub-type: nine with eight-wing; INFJ
Auxiliary wing: eight with seven-wing; ESTP (agenda focused)
Second wing: one with nine-wing; ESNTJ (mood focused)
Subsidiary wing: seven with eight-wing; ENTJ
Subsidiary wing: two with three-wing; ISFJ
Point of stress/disintegration: six with seven-wing; ISFP
Point of Integration/Neurosis: three with four-wing; ISTP

What is your tri-type Pionart?

The human mind is complex.

This is my tri-type. 9w1, 5w6, 4w5.

Nine with a one-wing.
Subtype: nine with one-wing; INFP
Auxiliary wing: one with two-wing; ESTJ (agenda focused)
Second wing: eight with nine-wing; ESFJ (mood focused)
Subsidiary wing: two with one-wing; ENFJ
Subsidiary wing: seven with six-wing; ESFP
Point of stress/disintegration: six with five-wing; INTJ
Point of Integration/Neurosis: three with two-wing; ISTJ

Five with a six-wing.
Subtype: five with six-wing; INxP (Ambidextrous T and F)
Auxiliary wing: six with seven-wing; ISFP (agenda focused)
Second wing: eight with nine-wing; ENTP (Mood focused)
Point of stress/disintegration: seven with eight-wing; ENTJ
Point of Integration/Neurosis: eight with seven-wing; ESTP

Four with a five-wing.
Subtype: four with five wing; ENTP
Auxiliary wing: five with six-wing; INxP (Ambidextrous T and F) (agenda focused)
Second wing: three with four-wing; ISTP (mood focused)
Point of stress/disintegration: two with one-wing; ENFJ
Point of Integration/Neurosis: one with nine-wing; ExTJ (Ambidextrous S and N)

Mark Anthony Rockliff 9w1 INFP Sx/Sp/So 1221 D type.

Last edited:

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Type" being our actual type or our perceived type?

Most people don't understand themselves as well as they should. Childhood difficulties and trauma can twist our type and we may never heal from it.

I would suggest that our functions don't change but we might get stuck in a loop or the grip of the inferior. Dario Nardi confirmed that is his understanding as well, when he did a AMA here a few years ago.

A person can believe they are a INFJ when they are really a Se dom.

Naomi Quenk describes this in her book. She comprehended this when a woman that she knew was a INFP from prior testing years earlier, acted like a ESTJ, and the psycho boss version no less. She found out that she got promoted to leadership position and was very stressed and relying on Te.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
This is groundbreaking.

This is the new version of my secondary types theory.

People show the function order of multiple types, and these types can change throughout life. Some people will mainly stock to one type, whereas others will change type a lot.

I previously thought that type was genetic and could only somewhat change, whereas now I believe it forms early in life and can change very quickly.

For example, for the majority of my time on this forum, I have been INFJ, but this is no longer my type. I won't reveal my new type, but I now do not show signs off INFJ.

My type has changed, and I'm sure anyone can change their type of they want or need to.
Perhaps you won't reveal your "new type" because the old one still gives you a headache, huh?

Test-retest rate of official MBTI is like 60% in 3 months. Its natural. Even Jung said it did change back then. The MBTI does change radically, the personality on some other systems... not so much.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Since a person's type can change, the whole thing about selecting a job or partner based on your type is incorrect.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If your type is that malleable, why are we even bothering to talk about type at all?

Claiming that it's all chaos undermines a search for order -- unless you just think you've found patterns in which types become which other types.

There's obviously flux in people, and probably types aren't as clearly bound as a theoretical system identifies them, but claiming they change rapidly and/or randomly rather ends the need to discuss typology further.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
If your type is that malleable, why are we even bothering to talk about type at all?

Claiming that it's all chaos undermines a search for order -- unless you just think you've found patterns in which types become which other types.

There's obviously flux in people, and probably types aren't as clearly bound as a theoretical system identifies them, but claiming they change rapidly and/or randomly rather ends the need to discuss typology further.
That's is one of the key differences of using a system that has a 60% test-retest rate in 3 months against another around 95% in 4 years.