• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you believe in absolute truth?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wonder what math would look like if we had 12 fingers? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, €, ¥, 10. 10/2=6. Surely some number system would get rid of this pesky pi...

123123*456456456=123123123*456456
(123)(123)*(456)(456)(456)=(123)(123)(123)*(456)(456)
2*3=3*2
So what exactly is the first 2, and what exactly is the second 2, and what exactly is the 4 in 2+2=4. Crap. Think I gave myself dyscalculia again.. Sob..

They are abstract numbers that could be anything, since two figs plus two figs is four figs, and two grapes plus two grapes is also four grapes, the rule is the same regardless of what the numbers stand for.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
They are abstract numbers that could be anything, since two figs plus two figs is four figs, and two grapes plus two grapes is also four grapes, the rule is the same regardless of what the numbers stand for.

So what level you choose to add at determines the numbers used, which makes the selection of numbers subjective?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what level you choose to add at determines the numbers used, which makes the selection of numbers subjective?

Well, I could say that 3 + 1 also equals 4, three figs plus one fig...but what does that change? I mean in terms of rules, math cannot change.

You are talking about real-life situations, as did Heraclitus, "no flowing down the same river twice" - not possible to have the same exact situation occur twice. Right. Then Pythagoras, with his "everything is number". Also fine. So who is correct? For Plato, both were in a sense, since there are different levels of reality to him, from the ever-changing situation to the contstant absolutes that transcend these situations.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, I could say that 3 + 1 also equals 4, three figs plus one fig...but what does that change? I mean in terms of rules, math cannot change.

You are talking about real-life situations, as did Heraclitus, "no flowing down the same river twice" - not possible to have the same exact situation occur twice. Right. Then Pythagoras, with his "everything is number". Also fine. So who is correct? For Plato, both were in a sense, since there are different levels of reality to him, from the ever-changing situation to the contstant absolutes that transcend these situations.

Yup, that's what I was doing. Mobilizing Ti-.

Lark

Bets you put all the people who are saying they dont believe in absolute truth in a room with someone they have a fundamental disagreement with and there's a fall out.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Bets you put all the people who are saying they dont believe in absolute truth in a room with someone they have a fundamental disagreement with and there's a fall out.

Sounds like a baking soda and vinegar volcano.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No lol. I started to go IEI in that dialog per your Supervision.

Lol, but isn't EII and LIE semi-dual? What do you mean "per your supervision"? How could I supervise you if we are semi-dual?

Anyways, its a bit off topic, so you can respond to me with a visitor message.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Topics like this usually sound like "are my opinions correct? Yes."

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say truth. What other reality is there? You might say the universe. But I don't know the universe exists, whereas I know I exist, since I perceive the universe, yet the universe does not perceive me, so I, the perceiver of things am the only reality - all hail!

You are the center of the world :fullload:

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see the truth, much like reality, as fluid and flexible, never taking on any shape or form.

bedeviled1

This is what mbti promises: to know thyself, but if we don't take mbti at face value and do our due diligence, we find mbti makes a false claim: to be part of psychometrics, when in fact mbti is cult-like, with a guru, Carl Jung, who was both mad and bad, and who became a guru of the New Age. And like any cult mbti is impervious to evidence and reason. And mbti is successful because it appeals to our narcissism. Mbti is a cult of the zeitgeist.

And if we are genuine is wishing to measure our personality, we don't measure it ourselves and we don't interpret the measurements ourselves, because this invalidates the measurements and the interpretation.

However if we wish to wallow in psychopathic narcissism, we apply mbti to ourselves.

Mbti not only appeals to our narcissism but fits perfectly into our consumer society, where we are urged to buy, because we deserve it. And if we believe that, we believe almost anything.

But what if your not a narcissist? What if your the opposite of a narcissist and believe you dont deserve anything? What if you want to ...know yourself...no matter how ugly it is?

gromit

likes this
Yeah I do. It's pretty tricky to discern sometimes bc we are limited by our own experiences, but it is there.

Mole

Permabanned
But what if your not a narcissist? What if your the opposite of a narcissist and believe you dont deserve anything? What if you want to ...know yourself...no matter how ugly it is?

If you wish to explore the contours of your personality you employ a qualified psychometrician to measure your personality and interpret the results. You are likely though to fall near the middle of the Bell Curve and the results will be banal.

If in fact you are looking for a sexual partner, then you would do better consulting the star signs in astrology or the personality types in mbti.

Always remember, if you go into a bar and someone ask for your star sign, you know they are trying to pick you up.

Mole

Permabanned
Absolute truth is a religious truth. It is not based on evidence and reason, in fact absolute religious truth is based on the wish fulfilment of children who wish for the absolute love and protection of their parents.

And who can blame them? Children are emotionally, financially, and physically dependent on their parents, and can't bear the thought that their parents may abandon them or harm them, so they have the fantasy of their all powerful parents who will love them and look after them forever, and naturally they create God in the image of their idealised parents.

So we have the absolute truth of religion.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is an objective reality that exists outside of us, and the subjective reality of human perception. Our existence is a continual dance negotiating between the two. Human perception has evolved various distortion that aided in our survival. It is an interesting problem that these subjective distortion help to sustain existence. I don't know how to answer the question beyond those observations.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I have this odd feeling that things can be "not wrong" without being "right". And I call them opinions/hypothesis. They are statements I can agree/disagree with and keep doing my things without digging any deeper (unless it's fun to wonder about, but, obviously, without arriving to any conclusions... my life is one big aporia)

I do believe in my own system to decide what things I want to live by, making them my personal truths, and I also believe that there are certain truths that are better than others because they have less cons (hence the "not wrongs" not being "rights"). I believe that everything we consider eternal it never was in the first place. Is killing bad? Yes, it is! But our ancestors, the apes with clubs that spread all over the world and are supposed to be "the fittest" didn't think that. In fact, they didn't even understand morals. The universe wasn't universe all the time, etc etc etc.

I'm not fond of absolute truths because I think the concept of "truth" as something artificial (as in "invented by humans"). I have a o̶b̶n̶o̶x̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ complicated way of understanding things, dividing it in Legos, as I like to call my information units. So here it is how I understand truth:

"The Sun rises in the east"

1. The Sun: a random name we gave to a close star
2. Rises: it looks like it rises, but it's not
3. East: again, a random name we gave a direction that we cannot know where it is without human-made products (compasses, maps, etc) or a deep understanding of stars. (The same happens with "Oriental cultures"... Oriental according to whom?

Even if one day we're facing an absolute truth, there will be people (including me, I guess) that will continue acting according to personal truths, so... I don't think there is one, and if there is, it's useless, so why caring!