User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    I think often the fewer "problems" one has, the larger they seem. It's about what is relevant... of course, you could become a missionary.
    Exactly. If your life is full of shit, you get used to that(to some extend), so it feels more neutral and if there is a glimpse of happiness there it will be many times stronger what the same thing wouod be to someone living the "perfect" life
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Apparently life does have meaning for you. You mean to help people who have problems. That's a meaning.

I get so weirded out by people who say life has no meaning. What the hell. The meaning of life is to live life, to go out and be and do experience. And you can add to that the meaning of life IS life, not just your own experience, but protecting life in general, the life of not only yourself but others - be it other people, plants, animals, etc. Life is the ultimate goal. Isn't that enough?

People trip me out, I swear.

Anyhoo, I think it's perfectly legitimate to worry about having a mate. Having a mate is very important, and sometimes the way you look has something to do with that.

Just don't let that alone consume you. Find something small you can make a difference in the world doing, and do it. If you're a revolutionary, be a revolutionary. If you have the nerves to be a politician, be a politician. If you can't do that, do something small that you really care about.

Like if you care about the environment, pick up trash and get involved with that. If you care about people being hungry and homeless, stop voting Republican.

Seriously, though, you can't change the world. If you sit there and think about all of the horrible things going on in the world (which you alone cannot fix the whole world, and must accept that suffering is a part of life) you'll just get overwhelmed or depressed and do nothing it all.

It's better to do small things than to think about changing the world and just whine.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Yeah, it's okay. It's called relativity. You may not be able to work towards solving all the world's problems right now but you can work towards solving yours, and once your needs are met you can help out others too.
    oooh...good answer!!!!!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by QuiteRole View Post
    • People dying from hunger
    • People are homeless
    • People in war torn countries
    • People barely clothes

Is it really okay for me to worry about not being good looking, lacking good social skills, the girl I like not liking me back, life lacking meaning and all that stuff? I mean people dying everyday and I worry about this bullshit?
    It makes the most sense for people to worry about their own problems, since personal decisions are positively and negatively reinforced much more drastically than any other kinds of decisions.

I tend to think of this issue (your own problems seeming trivial) like this: worry about yourself first. Get healthy and happy because then you have much more power to change things around you. Let's say you want to devote x resources to helping other people, and you have 1.5x total resources. If you start helping people x much immediately, you'll only have .5x to deal with yourself. But if you spend a few years working on yourself and your position in life, you may end up with something like 4x resources, so you can easily deal with your own stuff and give to others much more than you would've been able to even if you'd devoted your whole life to it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire View Post
    Perspective is a good thing, but rather than beating yourself up over comparatively trivial things, use it to focus on how you can make the world better.
    Ladies and gentlemen: the thread. *round of applause*

But seriously, that's really all you can do. How does it make sense to beat yourself up because you weren't born into abject poverty, an abusive family, etc.? There's no way you can control that. But you can control what you make of your "charmed life" and oftentimes that means battling and conquering your personal demons.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Count your self lucky, and live your life the best you can.
    Give back when you can.
    I've volunteered before, but not for a long time. I'm just waiting to do a phone counseling course, at the moment to volunteer for a suicide line. I have ears, so I can listen, and I've been there and lived to tell the tale, but then my life is rather dedicated to service of others (even if I get paid for it.)
    One cannot help their relative privilege, but one can chose what they do with it.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Count your self lucky, and live your life the best you can.
    Give back when you can.
    This.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by QuiteRole View Post
    • People dying from hunger
    • People are homeless
    • People in war torn countries
    • People barely clothes

Is it really okay for me to worry about not being good looking, lacking good social skills, the girl I like not liking me back, life lacking meaning and all that stuff? I mean people dying everyday and I worry about this bullshit?
    Do you watch the ground to avoid stepping on insects?
    1+1=3 OMFG