• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Will you take the COVID vaccine in 2021?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
With long term side effects of the vaccine still unknown, and enough data available to suggest low risk of COVID death for particular demographics, what is your own risk/reward system leading you towards?

Im a bit on the fence, leaning more towards not taking it, pending any new information.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For the forseeable future the main problem will be not enough vaccine available for all those at high risk (or the doctors and nurses working with them). So while I would be more than willing to take the vaccine in the interest of society at large when enough of it is being produced for now that question seems purely academic. However, I hope my own mother (very healthy but over 70) and in-laws (over 60, overweight and in the case of my father-in-law with damaged lungs) will be able to receive the vaccine relatively soon.

It's a bit like the public calls for people to get vaccinated against the flu this winter because the hospitals won't have the capacities to take care of severe flu cases - at least here in Germany the demand for the vaccine outnumbered the number of dosis available. Many doctor's and pharmacies have run out of the stuff. I want to get vaccinated against the flu this year to do my part but apparently there is nothing to be done about it at the moment -the entire city has run out of vaccine. I got my first flu shots during my two pregnancies (as per official recommendations) and had zero side effects. Fortunately my mother was able to get a shot - her first flu shot ever - about a week ago.

One questio is whether you yourself are at risk, another factor s whether you have direct or indirect contact with people at risk. We have small children going to kindergarden and daycare and my husband is a teacher. So it makes a lot of sense (and is a question of decency) to take precautions not to become a spreader.

I am not saying this to compare Covid-19 to the flu but because the considerations and the social and medical mechanisms behind it are similar.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Honestly...I likely will not.

For one, I am quite phobic of needles so it takes a lot for me to get a vaccine and I usually only get one if I am required to do so.
Secondly, I have never taken a flu shot in my life. My grandfather discussed how he used to take them because he was in the military and it was required, and he'd always end up with a worse case of the flu afterward, so I am not sure if it really helps. A lot of times when I take medicine for a cold or flu I end up with a secondary infection. Who knows how a vaccine would go.
Thirdly, it was so rushed. I don't trust it because anything like that needs a lot of data, time, and testing. I have a feeling it may end up like other rushed vaccines and sadly hurt more people than it helps.

I am at low risk for covid and the flu in general. Most of my family is high risk. But if this vaccine does something that causes me to be unable to help, my family would suffer because I've been the one shopping for people and etc. during bad times. I need to be healthy for them.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If it’s going to involve wide scale harvesting of Shark livers, then no, I will refuse on both moral and environmental grounds.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I was going to answer 'yup', but honestly it depends which the source of the vaccine is.
I am not a republican but I don't trust China, and the Chinese vaccine is sort of suspicious.. I would prefer to have one that it is more sanctioned by the "academic science" with proper testing and etc (I know that the Chinese vaccine might have some of it)... Then one which the tests camely 'out of nowhere'. However, if the first people taking it doesn't seem to have problems (which is going to be a headache to find out since local and even international people from far right are going to spam against the Chinese vaccine saying is bad regardless if it is actually bad or not).

I am also young, on my 20s. To be honest, it may be a little bit selfish from my part, but everytime someone denies a vaccine I just think "Great, that means one less people on the line and that I will get it sooner, meaning that I will have more freedom with security sooner" instead of bothering - bothering will be mostly useless anyway. But since I am not a group of high risk, I will probably take at the end of 2021... Even if I wish I would take it like in February.

Last edited:

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius does not have a problem with having COVID vaccine. He would probably get it fairly early as a health service worker, in fact his employer has briefed all its workers that the government has told them to expect start giving the vaccine by the end of the year but it will takes months just to vaccinate its staff. They said when they do get the vaccine they are going to start with older people's acute impatient wards, accident and emergency, then everyone else who works on a ward, and then all the rest of the staff non-front line staff.

Falcarius got the flu vaccine the other month as he works in hospital, but they have not even done that for all staff yet as they only started doing non-front line workers within the health trust the other week. Most pharmacists have ran out of flu vaccine this year due to increased uptake.:mellow:

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I can't find reliable information on it. As far as I know, this is a rushed cocktail of vitamins and chemicals. I won't take it if it's mandated with such little explaining. And that's coming from a very pro-vaccine person.

It just sounds like a rushed and poorly thought out solution, which mimics the country's response to covid as a whole.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't find reliable information on it. As far as I know, this is a rushed cocktail of vitamins and chemicals. I won't take it if it's mandated with such little explaining. And that's coming from a very pro-vaccine person.

It just sounds like a rushed and poorly thought out solution, which mimics the country's response to covid as a whole.

Can we get a round of applause for the final sentence here because accuracy is 10/10.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Unless you are a front line health care worker, an elderly person or a person with compromised immunity, there isn't going to be a supply for the general population for some time so I'm not going to be concerned with it. In the meantime, they can do more clinical trials and testing, just like they do with other vaccines. No I wouldn't take it today.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I was going to answer 'yup', but honestly it depends which the source of the vaccine is.
I am not a republican but I don't trust China, and the Chinese vaccine is sort of suspicious.. I would prefer to have one that it is more sanctioned by the "academic science" with proper testing and etc (I know that the Chinese vaccine might have some of it)... Then one which the tests camely 'out of nowhere'. However, if the first people taking it doesn't seem to have problems (which is going to be a headache to find out since local and even international people from far right are going to spam against the Chinese vaccine saying is bad regardless if it is actually bad or not).

Just which vaccine are we talkign about exactly? There are many projects currently done in many countries. According to a tracker I sometimes chck there are over 160 projects in a pre-clinical phase, 24 in phase I (i.e. general safety in a small group of healthy subjects), 19 in phase II (focus on dosage with several hundred subjects), 11 in phase III (test of efficacy in several thousands of subjects over a longer period of time) and 2 have already been admitted. The one that has been making international headlines these days as the best one so far and a possible gamechanger for the entire planet was developed by the German company BioNTech, a relatively small nerdy research company founded by two idealistic professors of medicine that has spent the last 12 years or so researching the use of mRNA treatment to combat cancer, based on the Nobel Prize winning research of of Fire and Mello. They are playing the long game, investing years and years of research into a possible new generation of cancer treatment that would revolutionize oncology, not out for a quick buck. With this pandemic they applied their expertise to the development of a Covid vaccine based on that new technology, but the are not the only ones banking on that approach. Of the many projects currently being run some are based on traditional vaccine methods and some work based on this relatively new mRNA approach. This one was tested it on about 44.000 subjects and it has shown to be both safe and effective. There is another German biotech company, CureVac, which is using a similar approach, the one Trump unsuccessfully tried to buy out under the condition that Americans would get the vaccine before the rest of the planet, which announced that they too will be ready in a few weeks. Several others will likely follow. They are all complying to medical test procedures.

It has nothing to do with China or the Republican party and it most definitely isn't a "rushed cocktail of vitamins and chemicals". It is part of a completely new generation of impressive hightech vaccines.

The 2006 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine - Advanced information - NobelPrize.org
COVID-19 | BioNTech
RNA vaccine - Wikipedia

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just which vaccine are we talkign about exactly? There are many projects currently done in many countries. According to a tracker I sometimes chck there are over 160 projects in a pre-clinical phase, 24 in phase I (i.e. general safety in a small group of healthy subjects), 19 in phase II (focus on dosage with several hundred subjects), 11 in phase III (test of efficacy in several thousands of subjects over a longer period of time) and 2 have already been admitted. The one that has been making international headlines these days as the best one so far and a possible gamechanger for the entire planet was developed by the German company BioNTech, a relatively small nerdy research company founded by two idealistic professors of medicine that has spent the last 12 years or so researching the use of mRNA treatment to combat cancer, based on the Nobel Prize winning research of of Fire and Mello. They are playing the long game, investing years and years of research into a possible new generation of cancer treatment that would revolutionize oncology, not out for a quick buck. With this pandemic they applied their expertise to the development of a Covid vaccine based on that new technology, but the are not the only ones banking on that approach. Of the many projects currently being run some are based on traditional vaccine methods and some work based on this relatively new mRNA approach. This one was tested it on about 44.000 subjects and it has shown to be both safe and effective. There is another German biotech company, CureVac, which is using a similar approach, the one Trump unsuccessfully tried to buy out under the condition that Americans would get the vaccine before the rest of the planet, which announced that they too will be ready in a few weeks. Several others will likely follow. They are all complying to medical test procedures.

It has nothing to do with China or the Republican party and it most definitely isn't a "rushed cocktail of vitamins and chemicals". It is part of a completely new generation of impressive hightech vaccines.

The 2006 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine - Advanced information - NobelPrize.org
COVID-19 | BioNTech
RNA vaccine - Wikipedia

Could be America's news coverage but much of the vaccines we hear about are either the ones getting pushed here or the one that has been being studied in China whom I don't trust either. I am glad to hear Germany and others have come up with something because the way America throws drugs on the market like candy only to have 20 lawsuit commercials later I definitely do not trust our big pharma here. I think I'd be more likely to trust your vaccine than one we made. ):

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The INTP in me finds this rather exhilarating and sexy and also almost romantic in the way researchers all over the world are (successfully!) working their asses off to develop a vaccine. Sure, fortunes could be made, but I honestly believe many - especially the actual researchers - are doing this out of highly idealistic motives.

The two German companies both announced they want their vaccine to be available to the entire world.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could be America's news coverage but much of the vaccines we hear about are either the ones getting pushed here or the one that has been being studied in China whom I don't trust either. I am glad to hear Germany and others have come up with something because the way America throws drugs on the market like candy only to have 20 lawsuit commercials later I definitely do not trust our big pharma here. I think I'd be more likely to trust your vaccine than one we made. ):

The Pfizer vaccine and the Biontech vaccine are one and the same. The Germans provided the brainpower and the actual research and Pfizer contributed the money to back it up.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram

COVID-19 | BioNTech
RNA vaccine - Wikipedia

Brazilian media is saying that the China is one of the most advanced vaccines so far - but sorry for my ignorance into not knowing the vaccine name! So, yup, its one from China I am talking about. I know there were some, but I am impressed by your numbers, thanks for the mentions.

I am saying about republicans because world-wide (at least in whole America - from North Canada to South Argentina) far right have some tendencies to reject the vaccine specially from China and they already started their propaganda. Actually my Grandma and Grandpa are thinking of not taking any vaccine because far right wing whatsapp messages already started their campaigns against the vaccine here (and I am nothing against the sea of whatsapp lies - its the people who controls the whatsapp messages that mostly controls what is right or wrong for them, I just hope they don't get too far into ending killing them indirectly). But perhaps I might ask them if they are willing to take a German or a British one.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
The INTP in me finds this rather exhilarating and sexy and also almost romantic in the way researchers all over the world are (successfully!) working their asses off to develop a vaccine. Sure, fortunes could be made, but I honestly believe many - especially the actual researchers - are doing this out of highly idealistic motives.

The two German companies both announced they want their vaccine to be available to the entire world.

I think that might be the "life mission" of INTPs as a whole in this earth (combined with INTJs and ENTPs with support of some 5s from other types) - to bring light through solutions and knowledge.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

COVID-19 | BioNTech
RNA vaccine - Wikipedia

Wow, this is really enlightening! I had no idea there were so many. Just goes to show how little I knew about it, hence the apprehension. :doh:

Not to flip-flop but this literally addresses my only reason to not take it. I am now willing to take a 2021 vaccine when it becomes available. Thanks Red!

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would probably take the vaccine when it becomes available. As it stands, I’m already at risk due to other health factors, plus I don’t want to put my family at risk either.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If properly tested, and then if high risk groups are administered first.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
dqmi075txpy51.jpg