• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Where is the present moment?

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Does it even exist?

Every moment, we're planning what we're going to do next. Not necessarily in years, or even days. In seconds or milliseconds. For instance, I'm planning what I'm typing here. I'm anticipating which letter I'm going to type next. It's like the present moment is sandwiched in between the past and the future, and it grows smaller and smaller the more we think about it.

Or am I just overthinking again?

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you referring to the cliche term: live in the present moment? I might be able to explain it if you wish.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Present moment is now. Always there, some people just choose to acknowledge it more often.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
being = being present
being present = temporality
so being = temporality (presence)

gromit

likes this
I think you are most in the present moment when you are not thinking about anything except exactly what you are doing. Very easy in sports and sex and that sort of thing. You get lost in the flow of things. More difficult in other settings. But even with sports, for example, you can have a general idea of how you want things to go, in the back of your mind, while you are reacting immediately to everything around you, teammates, oponents, unexpected events.

So it's a balance between learning from mistakes/what worked well in the past, reacting to real-time information, and having a plan for where you're going.

gromit

likes this
All the advice about "being in the present moment", I think it means to enjoy what you have right now. And to really listen to people when they are talking to you. Take in not only what they are saying but also the feelings around what they are saying.

But of course we have to think about the past and plan for the future in order to survive, so it doesn't mean to ONLY live in the present.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, that's easy. It's now. No wait... nnnnnow. NOW!

Then. It was then. You just missed it.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^Yep. The present is all that exists, but it can't be pinned down. Once you define a brief stretch of time as "now", it's already in the past.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
^Yep. The present is all that exists, but it can't be pinned down. Once you define a brief stretch of time as "now", it's already in the past.

From one thread of thought it is said now is never not.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think you've looked deep enough. Did the past really exist? Isn't it hasty to assume the future will?

Cygnus

Didn't Bill Clinton try to make them define "is" when they took him to court on his sexual affair?

To me, this music seems like a good example of something that's out of the moment, however pleasantly so.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know. It fell out of my pocket.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
The culmination of all other moments before and after it.

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The present is what comes after the past and right and long before the future. It's inconsequential to me, I can't and don't know how to live in it without thinking about the causality of things, where they are coming from and where they are going. There certainly is a present moment but I don't find it that interesting. Or it could be, I don't know.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The present moment is now... Just because you're planning the future, or remembering the past, doesn't mean the present doesn't exist or that it is "small". The past existed, the future will exist, and the present is what exists, I think that's the easiest and most clear-cut distinction one can make.