• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni question

AdamK

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I've decided to share this thread here, since I'm more likely to get an answer on this forum.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of what Ni is like and how it works, specifically to make sure I haven't misunderstood the words that are normally used to describe it. If some high Ni users could please answer these questions (although anybody's input is welcome of course) then that would be helpful.

Question 1: It's said that Ni usually works subconsciously in order to solve problems. So, when someone uses Ni, do answers sudden come to them in a light bulb moment? Or, is it more like they are consciously thinking about the problem, then the answer comes while they're deliberately thinking about it? If you could please give me an example then that would be helpful.

Question 2: It's said that Ni is predictive. Is this like you can see why a pattern you are witnessing exists? Is your mind just explaining why the pattern you are currently witnessing is happening? This seems like it's telling you something about the present in my opinion, instead of predicting the future. Or, is it more like you can see why the pattern exists, so you can work out what the next step in the pattern will be, so that you are predicting the next step in the pattern? Again, examples would be helpful.

Finally, is it possible that Jung was wrong that there are only two types of cognitive function which are intuition functions? Could there be a third type of intuition, which Jung didn't identify because he liked to put things in contrasting pairs? Just having two variations of things seems very limited, and I don't see why, for example, introverted feeling (a feeling function) must be paired with extroverted intuition, when intuition has nothing to do with emotions or how you engage with others emotionally.