• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Westworld (2016)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lord, give me strength to not look at all these spoilers. (I know I made this thread, but I ended up not watching more than the first 3-4 episodes once my roommates decided to start watching The Walking Dead instead. I am SO behind.)

Not Robert Ford and not Arnold Weber.

He looks like the host emulating Ford's father who we saw in the cottage. So potentially it's Ford's father.

arnold-and-fords-father-in-westworld-comparison-700x417.jpg
Ha! Is he secretly LBJ?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well.... Last night. Season finale.
Armistice, where have you been all season?

Lots of stuff went down, and some theories were explicitly confirmed.
But the rabbit hole for some others (like Maeve) apparently goes even deeper.
I'm busy at work and life right now, but there is a lot to say.

I did appreciate the showcasing of Debussy's "Reverie" --- I always thought that piece beautiful.

EDIT:
Okay, two noodle-bakers (speculative -- read at own risk):

Regular comments:

Also.. two links involving Elsie that apparently were Easter Egg'ed on the Delos site? Haven't listened to them yet.
http://delosincorporated.com/video/intra/tablet.mp4
http://delosincorporated.com/assets/transmission.mp4

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well I was wrong about the Man in Black.

I like the idea that Maeve Millay could be the one they have been trying to smuggle out.

What bugs me is, why did Ford not flinch when he saw Bernard again? So did he foresee/scripted this? Maeve's return at the time seemed more like she returned, because "everything is designed to keep them there" as Sylvester the technician said.

And again, was the real Bernard killed by Deloris, and if so as mentioned before, was the Dr Ford getting shot, also real? And why in the last scene, when the snake tattooed woman finally gets to chop off her arm, does everyone just stand around, instead of just shooting her. Are they going to be having a conversation? Btw, her arm looked very "real" compared to Deloris, so I take it she is a later version of the hosts. And what else is different?

And why do we keep seeing references to Arnold making changes to their core code? In episode 9, Ford talks with Bernard and shows his gratitude to the backdoor that Bernard has created. Is Ford using Arnold's credentials or is Arnold still alive, or is Bernard using Arnold's credentials and he just can't see it, like he can't see the door in the room to the basement?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
SAMURAI WORLD!!! I'm excited, I was hoping they would do something like the originals' Medieval World and Roman World. Anyway....

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ford and Arnold had a meeting behind a specific closed, vault like door. We don't know what was said or decided then according to Delores' memories. For all we know Bernard could have died multiple times in each world to "bootstrap" the process. But it is probably, not going to be written like that.

When it comes to William, he is finally getting what he paid for, hosts that fight back, hosts that can choose to love the monster he is in there.

Little_Sticks

wonder what Jung would have thought of the center of the maze idea. It seems a lot like individuation, especially with the drastic change in William from young to old and his fascination with how the place helps people learn about themselves.

Maeve's comment about the guy being "a terrible human being" was great. I could easily see myself doing what he did and I sometimes tell people I'm not human for similar reasons.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Caught the first two episodes out of recommendation from a grad school friend. Loved it. I will have to avoid this thread so that I don't stumble across spoilers.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Finished it, so...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Finished it, so...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Our show and our girls picked up some Golden Globe noms:

Best TV Series, Drama
The Crown
Game of Thrones
Stranger Things
This Is Us
Westworld

Best Actress, Drama
Caitriona Balfe, Outlander
Claire Foy, The Crown
Keri Russell, The Americans
Winona Ryder, Stranger Things
Evan Rachel Wood, Westworld

Best Supporting Actress
Olivia Colman, The Night Manager
Lena Headey, Game of Thrones
Chrissy Metz, This Is Us
Mandy Moore, This Is Us
Thandie Newton, Westworld

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I finished it! Definitely took some patience, but so worth it.

Comments:

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I finished the series about a week ago.

At first I had trouble buying the William/Man in Black thing. The Man in Black character was too much of a departure from the William personality. Kind of like: if you freeze water, you'll end up with frozen water- you won't get frozen peas (or any number of other things that can be frozen that aren't water....unfathomable hurt/anger here is the "freezing" process). The Man in Black came across as a bona fide psychopath to the core, and William came across as someone who couldn't help but empathize with machines in spite of logically 'knowing' they were machines, and didn't seem to want to turn that empathy off. Of all the human characters in the series, he dehumanized the hosts the least. I was listening to some podcast recently discussing the show, in which the person opined (or rather, quoted someone else having this opinion, but he agreed with it- as do I) that even if we aren't actually hurting AI humanoids when we treat them badly- we are compromising our own humanity/character by doing it. This is something that I think the character William would completely agree with, and so I sorta didn't buy the transition.

But after I had a chance to digest it a bit, it became a bit more believable. Jimmi Simpson's expression when Delores didn't recognize him, at the end, was priceless- like he couldn't believe he'd just been toyed with like that. He basically got completely emotionally fucked over for not dehumanizing them. I can see how maybe rampantly dehumanizing the hosts was a manifestation of that anger, rather than psychopathy. And it's like, that time spent with Delores in a fictional world seemed to 'hook' him in some way that he kept coming back to understand. I really liked (the second time watching it) the conversation he has with Ford about seeking "meaning" in the maze. It's like he felt something in the fictional world with Delores that he hasn't been able to feel in the real world- and though, in his mind, the hosts are completely dehumanized at this point- he still thinks there's deeper 'meaning' to be found in the maze (and ironically, I think the dehumanization of the hosts takes him further from the 'center' of the maze).

With that in mind, I think it's a really interesting way to remake the 'Man in Black' from the original movie. I think Maeve is probably the closest literal parallel to the original Man in Black (Yule Brenner's character), but having a human who has been damaged/broken by the realistic-ness of the fictional world as the new Man in Black is a really interesting spin.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At first I had trouble buying the William/Man in Black thing. The Man in Black character was too much of a departure from the William personality. Kind of like: if you freeze water, you'll end up with frozen water- you won't get frozen peas (or any number of other things that can be frozen that aren't water....unfathomable hurt/anger here is the "freezing" process). The Man in Black came across as a bona fide psychopath to the core, and William came across as someone who couldn't help but empathize with machines in spite of logically 'knowing' they were machines, and didn't seem to want to turn that empathy off. Of all the human characters in the series, he dehumanized the hosts the least. I was listening to some podcast recently discussing the show, in which the person opined (or rather, quoted someone else having this opinion, but he agreed with it- as do I) that even if we aren't actually hurting AI humanoids when we treat them badly- we are compromising our own humanity/character by doing it. This is something that I think the character William would completely agree with, and so I sorta didn't buy the transition.

Yeah, they really needed to sell that. I think it's why maybe the William = MIB connection was struggled with for so long despite hard clues in the environment and time sequences. I was wondering how they would make that convincing. You're kind of watching William break bad (white hat -> black hat) but for the longest time it wasn't really clear what could flip him like that.

But after I had a chance to digest it a bit, it became a bit more believable. Jimmi Simpson's expression when Delores didn't recognize him, at the end, was priceless- like he couldn't believe he'd just been toyed with like that. He basically got completely emotionally fucked over for not dehumanizing them. I can see how maybe rampantly dehumanizing the hosts was a manifestation of that anger, rather than psychopathy. And it's like, that time spent with Delores in a fictional world seemed to 'hook' him in some way that he kept coming back to understand. I really liked (the second time watching it) the conversation he has with Ford about seeking "meaning" in the maze. It's like he felt something in the fictional world with Delores that he hasn't been able to feel in the real world- and though, in his mind, the hosts are completely dehumanized at this point- he still thinks there's deeper 'meaning' to be found in the maze (and ironically, I think the dehumanization of the hosts takes him further from the 'center' of the maze).

I think you captured it. Ironically it was what his pal was trying to do to him when he gutted Dolores in front of him. Here he had been sucked into this idealistic world but in the end it was all smoke and mirrors and he was just part of a set. Despite his bucking up in the face of adversity, it seemed that William was tender-hearted at core and Westworld made him vulnerable and he bared a lot of himself on that first run with Dolores. And then to have it appear illusory? I think you're right -- he wasn't a psychopath, he was ANGRY. It kind of gels with his reaction in the endgame, when the AI come out of the woods firing their guns, and how he can pull a "Tim Robbins in the Shawshank Rain" moment of transcendence even in the face of potential death... the whole park has just been a game, a charade, a simulation of reality where NOTHING is actually at stake and suddenly... it's becoming real. If he survives this, and if he and the self-aware Dolores run into each other... well, I hope they really sell that up. This is what William wanted and why he felt robbed when he hadn't gotten it. The world finally has stakes, and it's not so fake anymore. Some viewers saw him as crazy for his reaction to the endgame -- I think it was actually the fulfillment of a decades-long quest, and what he was looking for the whole time. It vindicates his efforts.

With that in mind, I think it's a really interesting way to remake the 'Man in Black' from the original movie. I think Maeve is probably the closest literal parallel to the original Man in Black (Yule Brenner's character), but having a human who has been damaged/broken by the realistic-ness of the fictional world as the new Man in Black is a really interesting spin.

Yeah, I like how they took motifs from the movie and just spun them in new directions (kind of like the Hannibal TV series did, versus a verbatim retelling of the books). Brenner's "Gunslinger" never really became sentient, although there is an unsettling moment near the end when he's stalking the protagonist, gets within range, and there's just this weird look on his face that even unsettles the protagonist... the robot/human divide, he LOOKS human but is it real or just a simulacrum? Anyway, Maeve captures the intangible malice and drive of the Gunslinger, although I think Dolores (and the Wyatt manifestation) is more the active "gun" part of the gunslinger. And then there's Hector, who is a literally black-garbed gunslinger.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If he survives this, and if he and the self-aware Dolores run into each other... well, I hope they really sell that up.

Totally!

eta:

SAMURAI WORLD!!! I'm excited, I was hoping they would do something like the originals' Medieval World and Roman World.

And in Futureworld, there was a Future World.

Really though, it would be interesting with today's filmmaking technology (?) to see other surrounding Worlds going on at the same time. I'm not sure where I heard Nolan say this, but the intention in having the piano play modern music was to interrupt suspension of disbelief- he wanted the audience to remember they were looking at something superficial. Having a character chased through an adjacent world would do the same thing. (Though the music was pretty cool.)

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Emmy noms

.... among Best Drama and a number of other series/staffing/design nods, the acting noms are no real big surprise, although the most expendable nom is Hopkins:

Outstanding Actor: Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Ford
Outstanding Actress: Evan Rachel Wood as Dolores
Outstanding Supporting Actor: Jeffrey Wright as Bernard Lowe
Outstanding Supporting Actress: Thandie Newt on as Maeve

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, they really needed to sell that. I think it's why maybe the William = MIB connection was struggled with for so long despite hard clues in the environment and time sequences. I was wondering how they would make that convincing. You're kind of watching William break bad (white hat -> black hat) but for the longest time it wasn't really clear what could flip him like that.

I think you captured it. Ironically it was what his pal was trying to do to him when he gutted Dolores in front of him. Here he had been sucked into this idealistic world but in the end it was all smoke and mirrors and he was just part of a set. Despite his bucking up in the face of adversity, it seemed that William was tender-hearted at core and Westworld made him vulnerable and he bared a lot of himself on that first run with Dolores. And then to have it appear illusory? I think you're right -- he wasn't a psychopath, he was ANGRY. It kind of gels with his reaction in the endgame, when the AI come out of the woods firing their guns, and how he can pull a "Tim Robbins in the Shawshank Rain" moment of transcendence even in the face of potential death... the whole park has just been a game, a charade, a simulation of reality where NOTHING is actually at stake and suddenly... it's becoming real. If he survives this, and if he and the self-aware Dolores run into each other... well, I hope they really sell that up. This is what William wanted and why he felt robbed when he hadn't gotten it. The world finally has stakes, and it's not so fake anymore. Some viewers saw him as crazy for his reaction to the endgame -- I think it was actually the fulfillment of a decades-long quest, and what he was looking for the whole time. It vindicates his efforts.

You mean when he grins at the robots rebelling? I hadn't considered that, but it makes a lot of sense. I kind of wish I hadn't read so many comments after watching episode because people inevitably figured out the twist before it was actually revealed.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
43 minutes to go until
Season 2!!!!