• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Westworld (2016)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
"Evolution forged the entirety of sentient life in this world using only one tool: mistake." Of course it would have to be a Dr. Ford line.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's the James Hibbert recap in case someone wants a review of what happened:
Westworld recap: Season 1, Episode 3 | EW.com

Also, interviews with Nolan and Joy:
Westworld showrunners answer episode 3 questions | EW.com

"Teddy Gets Triggered" (one of Hibbert's subheads) -- haha.
But yes, Teddy does deserve better. Listening to him and Delores talk, I feel bad for him.

My least favorite of the three episodes, but that's not saying it was a bad episode -- it essentially was an "advance each of the plots by a step" episode and laid groundwork for future revelation.

Hey, the Bicameral Mind! I don't think I've seen entertainment-related discussions on this ever since Cloud Atlas and "Old Georgie."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought episode 4 was pretty decent. It had a lot of forward movement on the active external plotlines ("Wyatt" and the maze, etc.), but also the ongoing awakenings of Delores and Maeve.

With that opening sequence with Delores, I like how what she says seems to rattle Bernard a bit because it's not what he expected .And then he asks her whether that was something she had heard, and she explains how it was something from one of her loops that she incorporated into her own idea. Isn't that what human beings do? Nothing is really entirely original -- we hear/experience things and then we synthesize and extrapolate, using them as a basis as we conjecture further. Is the android thinking process much different from how humans think? It doesn't seem like it, sometimes.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Someone help a sister out- is there some way to watch these without subscribing to HBO? I'm something of a media luddite. I know my way around Netflix and a broadcast antenna, and that's it. (I have tried looking at the HBO site itself, but can't quite figure out if its available to get single episodes.)

I loved the original movie, if only because I happen to have a thing for campy 'political statement' 70s sci-fi, so I was 15 kinds of excited to hear Jonathon Nolan turned this into a series. There was also originally a sequel (Futureworld, which I seem to remember liking more than the first one) and a series (which I haven't seen).

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Someone help a sister out- is there some way to watch these without subscribing to HBO? I'm something of a media luddite. I know my way around Netflix and a broadcast antenna, and that's it. (I have tried looking at the HBO site itself, but can't quite figure out if its available to get single episodes.)

I loved the original movie, if only because I happen to have a thing for campy 'political statement' 70s sci-fi, so I was 15 kinds of excited to hear Jonathon Nolan turned this into a series. There was also originally a sequel (Futureworld, which I seem to remember liking more than the first one) and a series (which I haven't seen).

HBO Now which is the streaming site for people that don't subscribe to HBO itself.

All The Ways To Watch HBO Without Cable | Grounded Reason

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I thought episode 4 was pretty decent. It had a lot of forward movement on the active external plotlines ("Wyatt" and the maze, etc.), but also the ongoing awakenings of Delores and Maeve.

With that opening sequence with Delores, I like how what she says seems to rattle Bernard a bit because it's not what he expected .And then he asks her whether that was something she had heard, and she explains how it was something from one of her loops that she incorporated into her own idea. Isn't that what human beings do? Nothing is really entirely original -- we hear/experience things and then we synthesize and extrapolate, using them as a basis as we conjecture further. Is the android thinking process much different from how humans think?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm in on this show due to the subject matter, the actors, the writers, it's creative history, etc.

However it still seems to be table setting, which is driving me somewhat mad. My wife is out on it already, I think. There are moments of real power and impressiveness. I can point to great scenes every week (this week, Ford's lunch with Cullen was excellent, malevolent, tense) however I don't think it's had a great episode yet and seems unfocused for now, which is an element of the worldbuilding, but nothing of consequence has happened yet. I'm waiting for the "the park has lost power and fences are down" moment and I can't tell if we're even close yet and it's just taking too long to occur.

In a way, the mystery of certain things (are there split timelines? Who is the man in black? Are some people we think are people really hosts?) is so mysterious it's preventing a degree of emotional investment so when/if these things are finally revealed I may not find them as important because of that lacking connection.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm in on this show due to the subject matter, the actors, the writers, it's creative history, etc.

However it still seems to be table setting, which is driving me somewhat mad. My wife is out on it already, I think. There are moments of real power and impressiveness. I can point to great scenes every week (this week, Ford's lunch with Cullen was excellent, malevolent, tense) however I don't think it's had a great episode yet and seems unfocused for now, which is an element of the worldbuilding, but nothing of consequence has happened yet. I'm waiting for the "the park has lost power and fences are down" moment and I can't tell if we're even close yet and it's just taking too long to occur.

In a way, the mystery of certain things (are there split timelines? Who is the man in black? Are some people we think are people really hosts?) is so mysterious it's preventing a degree of emotional investment so when/if these things are finally revealed I may not find them as important because of that lacking connection.

Yes, go all Jurassic Park on them. I hope the host playing the T-Rex eats Logan first.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
.. that could be bad for park funding, considering what we know about Logan.

But I'd feel worse for the T-Rex.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So it looks like Ford's counterpart's influence might be even less far-gone than we've imagined.

Multiple great scenes tonight, enough I probably forgot some already. I'm glad they gave Hughes a chance to throw her weight around a bit; that was amusing.

There was also a moment when based on the tension and the closeness, I madly thought Logan and William were going to kiss. :p

I'll save the rest for later, but I'm glad Hopkins is around for the ride.

EDIT:

Okay, it's later.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
So it looks like Ford's counterpart's influence might be even less far-gone than we've imagined.

Multiple great scenes tonight, enough I probably forgot some already. I'm glad they gave Hughes a chance to throw her weight around a bit; that was amusing.

There was also a moment when based on the tension and the closeness, I madly thought Logan and William were going to kiss. :p

I'll save the rest for later, but I'm glad Hopkins is around for the ride.

EDIT:

Okay, it's later.

This is definitely a rewatch episode and I'm very happy Hopkins is around for the ride as well.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The first episode was mind-blowing. I'm still hooked, as I like a slow burn, but I'm also like y'all, waiting for shit to go down. Last week was pretty exciting.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Ok on rewatch I paid more attention to the Dr Ford/Delores interaction.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This is so a rewatch episode but....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well... Maeve just became a handful. Shit just got real.

What I find really fascinating about all this is all the disparity between the knowledge of the people in the high towers versus those working on the ground... or in the basements. The guys upstairs (except for maybe Ford, and now Bernard?) really have no idea what kind of crap is going on at ground floor or what danger they could be in. Just all these little erosions, but once they give, everything is going up at once.

This is so a rewatch episode but....

ha.... that bit was rather impressive and rather terrifying. Talk about wanting to pick someone's brain...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Well... Maeve just became a handful. Shit just got real.

What I find really fascinating about all this is all the disparity between the knowledge of the people in the high towers versus those working on the ground... or in the basements. The guys upstairs (except for maybe Ford, and now Bernard?) really have no idea what kind of crap is going on at ground floor or what danger they could be in. Just all these little erosions, but once they give, everything is going up at once.

ha.... that bit was rather impressive and rather terrifying. Talk about wanting to pick someone's brain...

I liked the Easter egg in the corner. I thought....they wouldn't have had him down in the basement for this long....yes they would. This episode was so tense, so good. Even if people are irritated with the pace, they had to appreciate this episode. I'm not irritated with the pace but I hear and read that fairly often, except this episode was very urgent. I also loved the score.