• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Westworld (2016)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
see spoiler tag

This one was pretty good... up to the level of the first three, I thought.

I wasn't really clear on where MIB's declaration of his purpose is going. Also much of Maeve's time was spent just repeating / pointless fake action, but the dialogue you mentioned was definitely a highlight.

Pretty crazy about the therapist, huh? But I saw that coming...
I was also laughing as soon as I saw the group therapy circle that Crazy William was part of, I knew how south THAT was going to go... Just the responses to his diatribe, lol.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am probably wrong, since it's probably been addressed since, and I only just watched episode 1 of season 3 yesterday, but pretend I was conversing with you a month ago lol -but with regards to this:

Totenkindly said:

My immediate thought re him separating himself out was that he knew his 'baseline' personality and personality he chooses/wants was likely incapable of 'survival' and reacting physically instantaneously as needed, and so he had to build a program for himself, if you will, to execute if needed. I mean, by default he is clearly no Dolores when it comes to these things. :laugh:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
see spoiler tag

I wasn't really clear on where MIB's declaration of his purpose is going. Also much of Maeve's time was spent just repeating / pointless fake action, but the dialogue you mentioned was definitely a highlight.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One final episode to go. I'll admit, I'm not really "feeling it" this season -- I've been more emotionally engaged in the first two season storylines. Part of it is because I feel like plot has trumped character this season and mysteries aren't are well anchored but the solutions are just kind of "sprung" even to mysteries we weren't aware of. At least it's only eight episodes long. But I feel like they have to really bring together a lot in the season finale to make it all feel worth it -- the actual revelation of what is going on, who's doing what, and so forth. Something to spin this all to finally make real sense instead of just partial sense.

So we figured out who Caleb was and/or his backstory:

There's still one unclaimed "Dolores" ball out there, which leads to some thoughts:

As far as maeve

Not sure how I feel about the traveling Bernard/Ashley roadshow either, which seems fairly ineffective. What exactly did Dolores release Bernard to do? Is he actually Bernard? Is he part of her larger plan and thus being used yet AGAIN? (It's kind of sadly amusing, though -- poor Bernard, once his source died, he has been played regularly each season as some kind of patsy. Everyone uses Bernard, aside from a few rare break-away moments. What a sad existence.)

I dunno. I'm hoping there's a lot of spin coming in the finale to improve the entire season by casting elements in new lights. I do think it was rather ingenuous to access Solomon (the "wisest king" in that dynasty) who is also perhaps slightly mad, to counter its descendent Rehoboam.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One final episode to go. I'll admit, I'm not really "feeling it" this season -- I've been more emotionally engaged in the first two season storylines. Part of it is because I feel like plot has trumped character this season and mysteries aren't are well anchored but the solutions are just kind of "sprung" even to mysteries we weren't aware of. At least it's only eight episodes long. But I feel like they have to really bring together a lot in the season finale to make it all feel worth it -- the actual revelation of what is going on, who's doing what, and so forth. Something to spin this all to finally make real sense instead of just partial sense.

So we figured out who Caleb was and/or his backstory:

There's still one unclaimed "Dolores" ball out there, which leads to some thoughts:

As far as maeve

Not sure how I feel about the traveling Bernard/Ashley roadshow either, which seems fairly ineffective. What exactly did Dolores release Bernard to do? Is he actually Bernard? Is he part of her larger plan and thus being used yet AGAIN? (It's kind of sadly amusing, though -- poor Bernard, once his source died, he has been played regularly each season as some kind of patsy. Everyone uses Bernard, aside from a few rare break-away moments. What a sad existence.)

I dunno. I'm hoping there's a lot of spin coming in the finale to improve the entire season by casting elements in new lights. I do think it was rather ingenuous to access Solomon (the "wisest king" in that dynasty) who is also perhaps slightly mad, to counter its descendent Rehoboam.

I feel like a lot of things in this episode probably needed another episode or two to properly set them up. It felt a lot like things being thrown at a wall and deformed in the process. There was cool tech and setpieces, but beyond that, it didn't really cohere for me. In terms of story and characters, it was a watchable mess. The "movement" this time around didn't land for me.

rav3n

Question.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Question.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Welp, I guess tonight we will find out whether there was a method to all this madness or whether it was just a more linear but more off the mark season. I have no real idea what to expect. But if they're going to pull a win out of their ass, it will have to be tonight.

I have to say, Season 1 really wins hands down -- philosophical, complex, horrifying, endearing, surprising yet inevitable. It's one of the best seasons of TV I've ever viewed.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Welp, I guess tonight we will find out whether there was a method to all this madness or whether it was just a more linear but more off the mark season. I have no real idea what to expect. But if they're going to pull a win out of their ass, it will have to be tonight.

I have to say, Season 1 really wins hands down -- philosophical, complex, horrifying, endearing, surprising yet inevitable. It's one of the best seasons of TV I've ever viewed.

I thought the first three episodes were quite good, but I don't think you're wrong about most of the later episodes.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tend to like the more introspective episodes, like the one about Halores (episode 3)?

Yeah, I think think that was 3.

Anyway, we'll see what goes on tonight. I felt season 2's finale clarified a lot of season 2 (which apparently a lot of people seem to have hated for some reason) amd tie everything together in a way that worked, so maybe we'll get something like that tonight.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I liked it. This season did have some really good parts, and the finale, for the most part, was one of them. Perhaps the parts that I didn't like so much will play better on rewatch.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked it. This season did have some really good parts, and the finale, for the most part, was one of them. Perhaps the parts that I didn't like so much will play better on rewatch.

It was better than the last few episodes, although I felt like the season was definitely weaker than Season 1 and am not sure how it stacks with Season 2, which had more moments I enjoyed in it. I mean, they salvaged some of the worse things from the season, but I often still feel like they are play off plot rather than character, subsuming characters into some mechanistic unfolding of chain of events.

rav3n

This is the strangest show, in that I've kept following it from beginning to the finale, without liking or cheering for a single character, lol. Vincent Cassel the actor is likeable but not his character.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the strangest show, in that I've kept following it from beginning to the finale, without liking or cheering for a single character, lol. Vincent Cassel the actor is likeable but not his character.

Yeah, I am familiar with a number of Cassel films, he tends to be likable even when he's being a jerk, but Serac? Little sympathy for the boy who watched Paris go up in smoke.

Does it mean anything that I laughed and cheered when they showed the anomaly image early on, where black was threatening to subsume the entire circle? The chaos of free will is a bitch, isn't it?

so even with a whittled down cast this season, it felt like most of the characters got the short end of the stick as far as time/subplots go.

Yeah, I felt very little this season for anyone. Except not wanting Dolores or Maeve to die. So I was happy to feel something with Bernard in the finale at least. But I didn't really care a ton. There was a lot more to care about in prior seasons.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought the first three episodes were quite good, but I don't think you're wrong about most of the later episodes.

I am going to watch the finale tonight!

My thoughts so far re season 3 are - 1. Didn't really care for the first few episodes; I was still mourning the loss of the 'magic' of the first season especially, though season 2 retained enough of it, and I think they just did an almost 180 on the story focus, which required my own mental shift. 2. My favorite episodes in the season were probably 3 through 6; I had done the shift and thought they were doing an ok job of building up a new story with a tiny bit of 'magic' brought back in. 3. I was back to feeling as if I were floating in air again with episode 7. Not knowing what was going on. They should have added more 'meat' and lengthened the season over more episodes.

I also have more respect for the show LOST now. I always loved it, but I now have new admiration that they managed to keep the magic (for me at least) for much longer than westworld could accomplish. I think Totenkindly is the one who mentioned it, but I think a big issue with season 3 is the lack of any in depth character analysis. I'm not invested in anyone anymore; I'm just watching action.

I am still fascinated with it and find it entertaining and good, but not like season one and to a lesser extent season two.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah, LOST was a great original idea but they didn't really know where they were going long-term. SO they were building bridges out over the abyss like Wile E. Coyote one board after the next and then by Season 5 weren't sure to finish, so we got a Season 6 with answers not nearly as majestic as the question. But the characters were so striking, I think it was one of the first prime time shows to really use flashbacks as a regular character device / exploration and it showed -- because even when the series lost its way, people still typically love the characters and the characters linger with them.

(I see it now as a show where Lindelof was developing his writing chops; some of his later work might still possess a lot of ambiguity, like Watchmen and The Leftovers, but they handle it much better... the ambiguities suit the story, rather than just feeling like a failure of imagination.)

Not sure if the writing strike during Season 4 made the season worse, but definitely complicated things.

There are some character moments here in Season 3 that are among the best, like Bernard in the finale or Halores in Episode 3, but the season actually felt SHORT / cut short, like there wasn't enough space to really tell the story and honor the characters, versus Season 2 which felt extra-long at times. It's like they were trying to solve a problem with Season 2, but Season 3 actually needed the real estate.

rav3n

Yeah, I am familiar with a number of Cassel films, he tends to be likable even when he's being a jerk, but Serac? Little sympathy for the boy who watched Paris go up in smoke.

Does it mean anything that I laughed and cheered when they showed the anomaly image early on, where black was threatening to subsume the entire circle? The chaos of free will is a bitch, isn't it?

so even with a whittled down cast this season, it felt like most of the characters got the short end of the stick as far as time/subplots go.

Yeah, I felt very little this season for anyone. Except not wanting Dolores or Maeve to die. So I was happy to feel something with Bernard in the finale at least. But I didn't really care a ton. There was a lot more to care about in prior seasons.
Okay, maybe Maeve was fine too, although there were times... As a generality, I wasn't a fan of Thani Newton in the past but she's done an impressive job as Maeve.