• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vincent van Gogh

madhats42

MBTI Type
XNFX
Enneagram
2w3
We're learning about him in my ARTHC class and I'm trying to figure out what his type is. INFP? ISFP? AN INTP with a lot of feelings?

KitchenFly

It hard to say but my guess is 6w7 who got court up in a ISFP-ISTP-INFJ triangle. Or 6-3-9 , 6w7-3w4-9w8 triangle. His illness seemed to generate some neurotic content within his cognition, INFJ And he seemed to be able to translate his out of balance experience his vie of the world onto canvas.

1a5d90b960a0667467f326c718fffead.jpg

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream."

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream."

"I experience a period of frightening clarity in those moments when nature is so beautiful. I am no longer sure of myself, and the paintings appear as in a dream."

"I see drawings and pictures in the poorest of huts and the dirtiest of corners."

"Sometimes I long so much to do landscape, just as one would go for a long walk to refresh oneself, and in all of nature, in trees for instance, I see expression and a soul."

Going solely on quotes and letters, I see loads of Fi-Ne. Van Gogh seemed to be a big idealist, but a very damaged and unhealthy one. My guess is INFP with a 6 or 7 dominant wing.

Tomb1

Van Gogh has the penetrating eyes of 5w4 sx/so.

Vincent_van_Gogh_1866.jpg

too cerebrally intense and penetrating for a 4w5, but also too dark and mysterious looking for a 5w6

1.-Vincent-van-Gogh.jpg

cor.jpg

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I started one of these threads before ;),

IMHO he's actually ISFP, I first though INFP because of his idealism and anguish. If you look at his letters you will (hundreds available online) see a lot of his thought process circling the same material. Fi Se seems pretty obvious. Also just something of note is that Artists very focussed on texture seems to be ISFP that I have noted. [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] is a forum member (wonderful) ISFP artist who may be able to shed some further light.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I started one of these threads before ;),

IMHO he's actually ISFP, I first though INFP because of his idealism and anguish. If you look at his letters you will (hundreds available online) see a lot of his thought process circling the same material. Fi Se seems pretty obvious. Also just something of note is that Artists very focussed on texture seems to be ISFP that I have noted. [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] is a forum member (wonderful) ISFP artist who may be able to shed some further light.

I honestly don't feel qualified to type him, because I haven't studied all of his paintings or read his letters/memoirs as you have. Given that you're NeFi, though, and know Ne, I kind of trust that you'd recognize something that seemed fairly different from how you see things.

I can only speak for me personally, in that in my art, color, the medium itself, trying to learn as much as I can via the medium, improve, really bring the medium to life, is pretty important to me. As is painting what *I* find value in / what speaks to me. My subject matter though is not metaphorical, I'm not trying to convey some hidden or deeper meaning behind my subject matters. It's about color, aesthetics, the medium itself, and what I find beautiful/what I value. :shrug: I will say that my best paintings are when I'm really inspired and I just *know* how I need to paint. It just flows. My mediocre and bad paintings are when it feels more forced / when I don't have that flow / when I don't just 'know' what I need to do, where. Edit:I also think I have to be in the right emotional place to paint a particular subject, ie I'm not often in the mood to paint flowers, sometimes I am drawn to paint a shadowy forest, a lot of times I am not, and so on.

Re some of the quotes included in above posts, I share his affinity with nature; it feeds my soul. I also think I share more of his 'colorist' approach/style vs heavy focus on contrast and shadow.

Last edited: