• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing by vocal analysis

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Ah, what a shame, I thought this thread would be voice submissions analysed by the thread starter. Interesting nonetheless.

The aim was to give pointers to anyone who may be reading and trying to piece together typing methodologies for themselves.

Having said that, I'm open to having a go at reading people's cognitive functions through any voice or video samples they want to share.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Here's Te. I upped the volume when recording it so you can clearly hear my voice.

Vocaroo | Voice message

Yeah, I picked the wrong word I guess? I wasn't referring to volume per se, it's a particular vocal style... I'm thinking about posting music videos where you can clearly see (err, hear) the different qualities that I'm speaking of.

(I've got a post prepared already, just contemplating whether to post it or not)

rav3n

Yeah, I picked the wrong word I guess? I wasn't referring to volume per se, it's a particular vocal style... I'm thinking about posting music videos where you can clearly see (err, hear) the different qualities that I'm speaking of.
Yeah, blasting is volume/magnitude premised. Had you stated demanding and conclusive, I'd be fine with that, even though it's a tad...much since the intent isn't to always demand.

(I've got a post prepared already, just contemplating whether to post it or not)
Relative to what?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Here's Te. I upped the volume when recording it so you can clearly hear my voice.

Vocaroo | Voice message

I can definitely hear Te and Fi in this. Basically, when your voice is higher pitched it's Fi, and when it's lower pitched it's Te. You'll notice that there is a more forward energy associated with the lower pitched parts.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Giving some actual examples:

Lady Gaga - Bad Romance YouTube

As you'll hear, she opens with a clearly harmonic vocal approach.

She then switches to a blasting style, with an airy (Ni) feel.

She's probably an ENTJ.

Avril Lavigne - Complicated YouTube

She has a notably chilled out tone to her voice, with versatility in the range.

The chorus has more of a constantcy of tone with expressiveness.

She's probably an INTP.

Evanescence - Lithium YouTube

When she sings the word "lithium" there is a constancy to her voice, with a sense of power.

Generally speaking though, she has versatility in range and a harmonic tone.

The vocalist (Amy Lee) is probably ENFP.

Hoobastank - Crawling in the Dark YouTube

In the verse, there is a chilled and firm tone, with expressiveness especially during the chorus.

The vocalist (Doug Robb) is probably INFJ.

Stone Sour - Bother YouTube

Harmonic vocals are displayed throughout. Also tonality of dreaminess, blasting, and (especially) firmness.

The vocalist (Corey Taylor) is probably ESFP.

Quite often, the verse and chorus will be contrasted with each other by displaying contrasting pairs of functions.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Bad Romance shows a prime example of what I mean by blasting, with the ro-mah ro-mah-mah part and the verse.

rav3n

I can definitely hear Te and Fi in this. Basically, when your voice is higher pitched it's Fi, and when it's lower pitched it's Te. You'll notice that there is a more forward energy associated with the lower pitched parts.
There's no Fi involved in that clip since values aren't involved.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ni - dreamy - I've noticed infp's seeming dreamy but it's possible I suppose, infj I know didn't sound that dreamy
Se - firm - Don't know enough of these
Si - constant - makes sense
Ne - versatile - makes sense, good for voice acting
Fi - harmonic - I can see that, maybe what i see as dreamy sounding, softer flow
Te - blasting - I know an ENTJ and she's pretty loud, as is Hillary Clinton who's commonly ExTJ so I can see that honestly. Blasting wouldn't be the right word always though, more like a strong voice
Ti - chilled - monotone and can seem a bit robotic at times, as someone with high Ti i have this issue
Fe - expressive - definitely, replicating and mirroring emotional rythims

As an odd entp I find this most accurate in my experience. Ti in the chilled monotone almost robotic pattern, but can also be pretty versatile and have different sound tones and ways of speaking a lot, including exaggerations, same with emotional expression but usually not as strong as the formers. Been trying to be louder though since I'm normally fairly quiet which is annoying me. Need that Te'like oomph

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
There's no Fi involved in that clip since values aren't involved.

o_O

I think you're misrepresenting the domain for which functions apply.

By the sounds of it you're disputing the very premise upon which tone of voice can be said to indicate a particular function. Is this correct?

rav3n

o_O

I think you're misrepresenting the domain for which functions apply.

By the sounds of it you're disputing the very premise upon which tone of voice can be said to indicate a particular function. Is this correct?
That's not values premised. It's the attempt to correct an inaccuracy (which you admitted to), premised on function theory.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
That's not values premised. It's the attempt to correct an inaccuracy (which you admitted to), premised on function theory.

I can't understand what you're saying here : /

rav3n

I can't understand what you're saying here : /
Function theory definitions of the two functions:

Fi is premised on a database of internal values. Its process is to measure everything against that database to evaluate whether it's a violation, in sync with it, something to shrug about since there aren't any values that it violated or whether or not to continue assessing the situation, to confirm whether a value needs to created.

Te evaluates by logic and external measures like stats, theories, principles, etc. It's compelled to organize the outside world.

In this situation, the voice clip was addressing the inaccuracy of the word 'blasting' for Te, since it's more demanding/controlling/say it like it is, premised on the objective measure of function theory.

rav3n

Tinny, nasal, unsettling---Te dom. I sure wonder what this sounds like when you're even remotely upset.
The tinny quality is because of the backup headset. I fried my Sennheiser microphone. The nasal aspect is a slight cold. Unsettling is fine, if it unsettles you.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Function theory definitions of the two functions:

Fi is premised on a database of internal values. Its process is to measure everything against that database to evaluate whether it's a violation, in sync with it, something to shrug about since there aren't any values that it violated or whether or not to continue assessing the situation, to confirm whether a value needs to created.

Te evaluates by logic and external measures like stats, theories, principles, etc. It's compelled to organize the outside world.

In this situation, the voice clip was addressing the inaccuracy of the word 'blasting' for Te, since it's more demanding/controlling/say it like it is, premised on the objective measure of function theory.

Ok, but I wasn't referencing what you were saying. Vocal analysis is about identifying which cognitive process is lying behind a particular vocal expression in terms of the qualities of the sound. It applies just as well, if not better, to foreign speakers.

So by saying that Fi is about values and just that is missing the point that Fi is a cognitive process that is constantly operating to various degrees, with the formation of values being one particular common manifestation of its use.

rav3n

Ok, but I wasn't referencing what you were saying. Vocal analysis is about identifying which cognitive process is lying behind a particular vocal expression in terms of the qualities of the sound. It applies just as well, if not better, to foreign speakers.
How would this be applicable to me?

So by saying that Fi is about values and just that is missing the point that Fi is a cognitive process that is constantly operating to various degrees, with the formation of values being one particular common manifestation of its use.
Again, back to function theory. The dominant and inferior functions are in conflict. In order for the inferior function to take charge, the dom has to be quashed.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
How would this be applicable to me?

What I meant was that you don't have to know the meaning of the words being spoken. I was reiterating that the presence of Fi I identified wasn't about what you were saying, but how you were saying it.

Again, back to function theory. The dominant and inferior functions are in conflict. In order for the inferior function to take charge, the dom has to be quashed.

Well... all I can say that is if a function is conscious for you, even if it's the inferior function, then it can be used to such a degree that it temporarily becomes the primary signal you're giving off. It is operating as an inferior function still, and so lacks the strength and lack of filtration of the dominant, so I wouldn't say it's taking charge, so much as taking a turn "speaking".